French translation help Watch

ybco124
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What does d'un air effaré mean in English?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ybco124)
In a frightened manner (literally, 'with a frightened air')
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any context?

"D'un air [...]" is like "in a [...] way" or "seeming [...]", and "effaré" means appalled, shocked, horrified etc.. You could simply translate it as appalled/shocked/horrified, for instance "Il me fixait d'un air effaré" could be "he was staring at me, appalled."

Edit: It could also mean "alarmed" or "terrified"...it's very hard to translate accurately without context.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sonechka)
...it's very hard to translate accurately without context.
ha - welcome to translation help on TSR, Sonechka! You don't get context...
ybco124
Rep:
?
Any context?

"D'un air [...]" is like "in a [...] way" or "seeming [...]", and "effaré" means appalled, shocked, horrified etc.. You could simply translate it as appalled/shocked/horrified, for instance "Il me fixait d'un air effaré" could be "he was staring at me, appalled."

Edit: It could also mean "alarmed" or "terrified"...it's very hard to translate accurately without context.
yes actually "Le gargon ouvre les yeux et regarde sa soeur d'un air effaré"
Quirky Object
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
ha - welcome to translation help on TSR, Sonechka! You don't get context...
I'm used to WordReference, where the mods thump you for not giving context as it should be

Ok, I think "frightened" works best in this case since it sounds like the boy is young and is just waking up. "Bewildered" is another nice one I didn't think of before.

ybco124
ybco124
Rep:
?
In a frightened manner (literally, 'with a frightened air'
yeah pretty sure it translated to "The boy opened his eyes and looked at his sister in a frightened manner"
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm used to WordReference, where the mods thump you for not giving context as it should be

Ok, I think "frightened" works best in this case since it sounds like the boy is young and is just waking up. "Bewildered" is another nice one I didn't think of before.

ybco124
I would go for 'frightened' as being the most idiomatic, though you're quite right to say that a phrase like this just can't be properly translated entirely out of context. But we have to work with what we're given...

I also like 'bewildered', but that's more context driven I think - I'd want to know more about the sister!
ybco124
Rep:
?
I would go for 'frightened' as being the most idiomatic, though you're quite right to say that a phrase like this just can't be properly translated entirely out of context. But we have to work with what we're given...

I also like 'bewildered', but that's more context driven I think - I'd want to know more about the sister!
ok thanks will use frightened. The book is about a bird that is pecking against a window and the boy is scared about this.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ok thanks will use frightened. The book is about a bird that is pecking against a window and the boy is scared about this.
In that case, I'd definitely go for frightened. Is this a translation you've having to do, or are you just wanting to tune up your vocab a bit?
ybco124
Rep:
?
In that case, I'd definitely go for frightened. Is this a translation you've having to do, or are you just wanting to tune up your vocab a bit?
Translating and reading a book to help on my vocab skills.
Quirky Object
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

In this context, 'frightened' works best I think, but the word in general is more like a mixture of fright/alarm/shock/dismay/bewilderment. That's why GCSE French is so utterly stupid for making students learn pretty advanced and nuanced vocab through English translation; translation is a very worthy exercise and a nice challenge, but it shouldn't be the primary means of assessing comprehension. But I digress :s

Edit: Just read the thread and realised this wasn't for GCSE. Yep, frightened works best :getmecoat:
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Translating and reading a book to help on my vocab skills.
Very impressive - it's still the holidays! Well done - I wish I could be so industrious with it myself.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In this context, 'frightened' works best I think, but the word in general is more like a mixture of fright/alarm/shock/dismay/bewilderment. That's why GCSE French is so utterly stupid for making students learn pretty advanced and nuanced vocab through English translation; translation is a very worthy exercise and a nice challenge, but it shouldn't be the primary means of assessing comprehension. But I digress :s
I know what you're saying...but GCSE is only Level 2.

Edit: Just read the thread and realised this wasn't for GCSE. Yep, frightened works best :getmecoat:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby