'Legal high' review after laughing gas cases collapse Watch

MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The Home Office says it will continue to prosecute those who sell nitrous oxide, despite the collapse of the first contested cases under new laws.

The Crown Prosecution Service is reviewing two cases after a judge and the government's own expert witness said "laughing gas" was exempt.

This now raises questions as to whether the new law will need to be amended.

The Psychoactive Substances Act was introduced last year to deal with the problem of new manufactured drugs.

Nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, is taken by hundreds of thousands of people every year as a recreational drug. But the gas is also used by doctors for its pain-relieving properties.

In a statement the Home Office said: "Nitrous oxide is covered by the Psychoactive Substances Act and is illegal to supply for its psychoactive effect.

"However, the Act provides an exemption for medical products. Whether a substance is covered by this exemption is ultimately one for a court to determine based on the circumstances of each individual case".

A subsection of the Psychoactive Substances Act exempts medical products defined as "restoring, correcting or modifying a physiological function by exerting a pharmacological, immunological or metabolic action".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41098996

What are your thoughts on this, and more widely, this particular piece of legislation? It's no secret that this was a controversial law to put into place. I think it's quite embarrassing that the Government has lost two cases owing to the (very correct) interpretation of the law in regards to Nitrous Oxide.
MrDystopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
But even Marijuana and MDMA have very significant medical uses...
Correct (which adds to more confusion). However the article didn't mention that there is also an exemption in the Psychoactive Substances Act for any drugs that are currently regulated under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (which is where you'll find those Class A/B/C drugs).

Whether you think marijuana/MDMA should under the Misuse of Drugs Act, or the Psychoactive Substances Act, or even legal, is a another debate however
the beer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
That the PSA needs so many explicit exemptions (such as tobacco and alcohol) is a red flag of its own.

But my point was that there are undoubtedly a vast number of previously legal substances covered by PSA which have some significant medical uses.
The exemption for alcohol is a good'un.

Alcohol
Alcohol or alcoholic products. In this paragraph— “alcohol” means ethyl alcohol, and “alcoholic product” means any product which—
(a) contains alcohol, and
(b) does not contain any psychoactive substance.

An alcoholic product must contain alcohol and must not contain alcohol.
r3035
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
idiotic politicians who play dumb about the drug issue won't solve anything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
67.79%
No I haven't decided yet (28)
18.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.42%

Watched Threads