The Student Room Group

Do universities not see your a level grades when you apply?

when do they get your results? surely it's unfair if you did average at gcse then did really well at a level but they haven't got your a levels yet so they assume you're not good enough bc of your gcse's and predicted grades?
Original post by alevelstudentttt
when do they get your results? surely it's unfair if you did average at gcse then did really well at a level but they haven't got your a levels yet so they assume you're not good enough bc of your gcse's and predicted grades?

When you apply you must declare all qualifications that you already have, and all those you are in the process of taking. They therefore have all the information that they could possibly want in this respect.

They receive A-level results before the candidates do, for those candidates who have accepted offers.

When you apply they see your GCSE grades, As grades (if you did As exams) and your predicted grades along with your personal statement. They base whether they give you an offer off of these pieces of information.

Once you get your A Level grades the offers are either met and accepted or rejected. If you got better grades than expected you can enter UCAS Adjustment to find you a course at a uni with higher grades. If you get less and don't get an offer you enter clearing to find different courses for the grades you achieved.

Hope I helped and good luck!
Original post by yeahthatonethere
When you apply they see your GCSE grades, As grades (if you did As exams) and your predicted grades along with your personal statement. They base whether they give you an offer off of these pieces of information.

Once you get your A Level grades the offers are either met and accepted or rejected. If you got better grades than expected you can enter UCAS Adjustment to find you a course at a uni with higher grades. If you get less and don't get an offer you enter clearing to find different courses for the grades you achieved.

Hope I helped and good luck!

Would a uni accept you if they found you got amazing a level grades after they previously rejected you?
Would a uni accept you if they found you got amazing a level grades after they previously rejected you?

Usually no.

Because a) they will have already filled that course with the students they wanted who did get the grades, b) it wont have just been grades that made them reject you (PS etc), and c) you wont get the chance to reapply to them at that point anyway.
Original post by returnmigrant
Usually no.

Because a) they will have already filled that course with the students they wanted who did get the grades, b) it wont have just been grades that made them reject you (PS etc), and c) you wont get the chance to reapply to them at that point anyway.

Surely they would have to accept you though since unis are meant to care more about A levels than GCSE's and stuff like that?
Not if you show no aptitude for the subject or come across as a really boring individual. It isnt all about grades and grades dont trump everything else.
Surely they would have to accept you?

There is no have to when it comes to getting an offer for a place. Getting the grades is no guarantee of getting an offer.
Right. OK.

But you can go into UCAS adjustment (I think that's the name) if you got better grades than predicted on your UCAS.
They take a level into consideration during application to get an idea what your academic level is.

Also, your personal statement has a major impact whether you will get an offer or not. For example, I had low predicted grades but applied to a university with high entry requirements and had an offer only if i manage to match their entry requirements. In the end I didn't meet them, yet they gave me an unconditional offer.
If your GCSEs aren't that great and you do get rejected but you have good A Level results, just take a gap year and reapply - you'll have a higher chance of getting accepted then.
Original post by sophielophie
But you can go into UCAS adjustment (I think that's the name) if you got better grades than predicted on your UCAS.

No, you can only go through Adjustment if you get better grades than your Firm choice was asking for. It has nothing to do with your predicted grades. And there is no guarantee that any other University will want you - especially if they previously rejected you.

Quick Reply

Latest