depression & uni

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
idk if this will get any replies, but basically i'm currently experiencing a depressive episode and i really don't enjoy anything. i'm meant to be going to uni really soon and i'm worried that i won't enjoy my course, even though when i applied i was looking forward to it, and that this will mean i'm not as motivated and things will just be bland.
i'm currently on venlafaxine after having tried citalopram and mirtazapine and i was just wondering if ADs give you the capacity to enjoy things again, or if i'm just gonna be stuck like this.
Ellero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi
One thing to remember is that although you're feeling depressed right now, I promise you, it will pass. Depression distorts your thoughts and perceptions, so know that how you are feeling about your course now will probably change when you get better.ADs work differently for everyone. Maybe something like therapy would work better for you.I really recommend exercising and getting out the house. I know when you're very depressed this is difficult, but I try and keep active and in touch with people when I'm not depressed to help prevent it.You WILL enjoy things together and you will get better, depressive episodes always pass eventually.Also, how long have you been suffering from depression and is it chronic? It seems to me that you've tried a number of different ADs. If that many different antidepressants have failed it might be indicating it could be another disorder, like bipolar or a biological cause like your thyroid.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 10equals2)
Have you notified the Well Being team at your university? That's the first step. There's many measures they can put in place.

Also if you're prone to feeling like that then taking such a big step in your life is bound to have an effect on you - and no you're not going to be stuck like that.

I personally have EUPD with depression and I too am struggling of late, but based on past experiences, I know it will pass (and get worse again, and pass again!).

Basically I'm saying give yourself a chance to adjust and don't expect to feel okay immediately, and don't force or expect anything; go at your own pace.
thank you for the reply !! i have notified the team at my uni. i also am diagnosed with EUPD and depression just makes it worse :/ hopefully it should pass soon. ill try my best to take things at my own pace and hopefully everything will just fall into place - they have before so i don't see why they can't now. i hope you begin to feel a bit better soon!!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ellero)
Hi
One thing to remember is that although you're feeling depressed right now, I promise you, it will pass. Depression distorts your thoughts and perceptions, so know that how you are feeling about your course now will probably change when you get better.ADs work differently for everyone. Maybe something like therapy would work better for you.I really recommend exercising and getting out the house. I know when you're very depressed this is difficult, but I try and keep active and in touch with people when I'm not depressed to help prevent it.You WILL enjoy things together and you will get better, depressive episodes always pass eventually.Also, how long have you been suffering from depression and is it chronic? It seems to me that you've tried a number of different ADs. If that many different antidepressants have failed it might be indicating it could be another disorder, like bipolar or a biological cause like your thyroid.
thank you for the reply!! i did refer myself for CBT but i have deeper problems (EUPD/BPD) which is treated by DBT, and it's incredibly hard to access. i do try to excercise and see my friends as much as possible and i have gotten better at that recently but it's just certain symptoms that won't budge. i've had low mood for about 5 years but this episode only started in may so i don't think it's chronic, however i am waiting for results of blood tests so fingers crossed it's something that can be managed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (23)
6.32%
Uncertainty around my education (40)
10.99%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (43)
11.81%
Lack of purpose or motivation (49)
13.46%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (18)
4.95%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (17)
4.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (38)
10.44%
Financial worries (26)
7.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (22)
6.04%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.75%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (37)
10.16%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (26)
7.14%

Watched Threads