galicia
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Me again, the worried mum.

I need help with four maths questions on behalf of my son. He has been serious ill for the past four months and to help him pass year 4 of school, and not have to repeat the whole year, I seriously need help.

The school have given him a project of 15 maths questions and he can do all but four.

Knowing that cos of A = 1/3 and that 270°<A<360° , calculate sin A and tan (without calculating the value of A).

Thanks
MR1999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by galicia)

I need help with four maths questions on behalf of my son. He has been serious ill for the past four months and to help him pass year 4 of school, and not have to repeat the whole year, I seriously need help.

The school have given him a project of 15 maths questions and he can do all but four.

Knowing that cos of A = 1/3 and that 270°<A<360° , calculate sin A and tan (without calculating the value of A).

Thanks
Use the formulae  \sin A \equiv \sqrt{1-\cos^2 A} and  \displaystyle \tan A \equiv \frac{\sin A}{\cos A}

But since  270 ^{\circ} &lt; A &lt; 360^{\circ} , A is in the  \text{IV} quadrant, so we need to be careful of the signs of \sin A and  \tan A.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Desmos)
Use the formulae  \sin A \equiv \sqrt{1-\cos^2 A} and  \displaystyle \tan A \equiv \frac{\sin A}{\cos A}

But since  270 ^{\circ} &lt; A &lt; 360^{\circ} , A is in the  \text{IV} quadrant, so we need to be careful of the signs of \sin A and  \tan A.
If he's in Year4 that is GCSE and so this is not appropriate.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by galicia)

Thanks
Is this GCSE as you say Year 4? I'd draw a triangle with adjacent side 1 and hypotenuse 3 then you can get sine and tan - then think about CAST.

If he has been ill for so long then repeating the year might be better if he is taking GCSE next year.
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Use CAST. It's in the fourth quadrant or the C (in CAST) as it's between 270 and 360. Make a triangle to the horizontal and call the acute angle X let's say. We know the adjacent of the triangle is 1 and the hypotenuse 3 (to satisfy CosX = 1/3). Use Pythagoras to get the opposite side to be 2 root 2. In this quadrant, tan = - 2root2 (it's negative) and sine is -2/3 root 2 (negative). Hope this helps.
galicia
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Is this GCSE as you say Year 4? I'd draw a triangle with adjacent side 1 and hypotenuse 3 then you can get sine and tan - then think about CAST.

If he has been ill for so long then repeating the year might be better if he is taking GCSE next year.
Thanks. But he missed the last 2 months of school and will probably miss the first term if he had to repeat. He has just been diagnosed with Crohns and finally started his treatment yesterday. There is no way the Consultant will let him go to school yet as medication affects his immune system.

It is year 4 but he attends a secondary school here in Galicia NW Spain. He is going to take a year out and then the following school year will start the international baccalaureate.
MR1999
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If he's in Year4 that is GCSE and so this is not appropriate.
Clearly he's not in year 4 of British education.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Clearly he's not in year 4 of British education.
You've quoted an A level approach for a GCSE question. [year 4 of secondary I assumed]
MR1999
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You've quoted an A level approach for a GCSE question. [year 4 of secondary I assumed]
You mentioned CAST which is first taught in C2.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, that's what I assumed.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You mentioned CAST which is first taught in C2.
No- it's met at GCSE where I teach,
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

CAST isn't GCSE.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thekidwhogames)
CAST isn't GCSE.
It can be ...
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It can be ...
No, it's not. It is nowhere in the specification and has never been in any exam. The question itself isn't GCSE.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, it's not. It is nowhere in the specification and has never been in any exam. The question itself isn't GCSE.
The OP is not following a UK curriculum so it could be in their GCSE ...
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The OP is not following a UK curriculum so it could be in their GCSE ...
But then introducing identities (trig) is fine and acceptable. If they're not following the GCSE spec, then both CAST/trig identities should be accepted.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But then introducing identities (trig) is fine and acceptable. If they're not following the GCSE spec, then both CAST/trig identities should be accepted.
CAST has been in GCSE and we stil teach it - trig identities have NEVER been in GCSE or O level before that.
thekidwhogames
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
CAST has been in GCSE and we stil teach it - trig identities have NEVER been in GCSE or O level before that.
GCSE refers to England/Wales in which case CAST has never been taught at GCSE. Also, the trig identities have been introduced in some books of the 9-1 GCSE Maths but it's not part of the spec. Therefore both CAST and trig identities are equally not in the GCSE so giving answers with trig identities I think is fine (not that they're needed).
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
GCSE refers to England/Wales in which case CAST has never been taught at GCSE. Also, the trig identities have been introduced in some books of the 9-1 GCSE Maths but it's not part of the spec. Therefore both CAST and trig identities are equally not in the GCSE so giving answers with trig identities I think is fine (not that they're needed).
GCSE started 30 years ago - CAST has been in the spec - we actually don't know that the OP is doing GCSE it might be iGCSE or similar. Whatever it is, trig identities won't be being taught.
Student1191
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Doing that in year 4? Damn
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise