Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Here's where you can post a comment about our Starting French A-level article.

Read the full Starting French A-level article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fox Corner)
Here's where you can post a comment about our Starting French A-level article.

Read the full Starting French A-level article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
As an experienced French teacher I think I may have something useful to add to your otherwise excellent article.

I can confirm that the jump from GCSE to A level is a big one - far greater than many students realise. I often see pupils with A* in French GCSE who think they're therefore "good at languages" and who really struggle throughout the A level course. The good news is that there is a cure!

The biggest issue is verbs and tenses. Verbs are like the backbone of French: if they're shaky, you will always struggle with the language; if you know them well, you will find everything else falls into place that much more easily. If you can make sure that you can at least conjugate all the tenses (regular and the most common irregular verbs) that are on the GCSE syllabus (that doesn't mean that you'll have done them; a lot of teachers don't bother) then you'll be doing yourself a huge favour. These are the tenses you should know preferably before you embark on the A level course:

Simple tenses: Present, imperfect, future, conditional
Compound tenses: Passé composé, pluperfect.

You should also have a good idea about when to use these tenses.

It is also a good idea to practise agreements with adjectives as well as their position.

If you can, get hold of this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Gramm.../dp/095706120X. The first chapter is a really good introduction to concepts of grammar which you will need for the A level course, and it has loads of explanations and exercises for tenses, adjectives and more - it will see you through your A level course. I work with this book with my students and I find it invaluable.

Another thing you can do to help doesn't even involve French. The A level course is topic based and you need to have quite a wide general knowledge of the world around you - health, social issues, the environment, technology, moral questions are all part of the syllabus. So it helps to just read a good quality English newspaper every day.
Quizlet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing A level French so this might be helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (17)
13.08%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (31)
23.85%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (58)
44.62%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.38%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.08%

Watched Threads