The Student Room Group

English lit or Economics?? please help!

All of my other A levels are set in stone (history + government and politics) however I can't decide which of these too to do (please give me advice!). Furthermore, if anyone has done economics or knows a lot about it could you please tell me how maths focused the course actually is? Many thanks!
Economics is not very maths focused; my edexcel course lets you use a calculator as well. I really enjoy economics personally. It's a blend of logical thinking but also factors in things like psychology. It would go well with history and politics too. I would solely from the information you've given advise you to do economics. However I don't do A level English Lit and so can't comment on that. Also if you wished to pursue solely economics at uni you would need a maths a level (you could do PPE though). It's whatever you want really and about what you think you would excel at. Good luck for college whatever you choose!
(edited 6 years ago)
English lit compliments your other a levels really nicely - I've just done it and found it really really difficult though? It's a lot of hard work x
Firstly as someone who did both English literature and Economics at A level, I must say that I enjoyed literature more. I felt that it truly enriched my understanding of people, believe it or not, and enriched my style of writing. It was truly interesting. However my teacher played a big role in this. Also speaking from personal experience I would say that literature isn't as much work. that is if you have a good writing style.

HOWEVER, if you were to do economics at uni, if I were you I would not think about it and pick economics. It is not only a good foundation for university, but also it teaches to understand the economy, specifically when you want to read the news e.g. on the guardian. you can understand what it is saying on a deeper level and that stays with you. so I really benefited from that. the only con i have to say about economics is that as of 2017 at the end of A2 you have to give the full A level. however if you work hard and know the fundamentals it will be fine. you just have to do a lot of practise papers to get a feel for the exam.

also regarding your concern about it having a lot of maths. what i found was the at least for edexcel, that it didn't have a lot of maths. however in the exam the multiple choice part had a lot of maths. But it wasn't hard maths. people who don't do A Level can survive. however anyone in my school who applied for economics did maths A level, is I think you understand you are competing with people who take it so it would be a good idea. however if you do PPE it is not needed. Hope this helps and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest