The Student Room Group

UKCAT AVG 670 - Band 2 - What university should I apply to?

Hi.

I did my UKCAT today and these are my results:
VR: 570
DM: 670
QR: 850
AR: 590
SJT: Band 2
Therefore my average is 670

Now, what universities should I avoid providing I have 4A*s, 4As and 3Bs at GCSE and my predicted grades are AAA. Also, could anyone tell me what universities I should apply to with these scores?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Original post by t10r
Bump

Try Leicester, hull york, Plymouth, St. George's, Manchester, possibly Southampton and Liverpool your ukcat is good you have quite a few choices

Avoid Sheffield Cardiff Newcastle Birmingham queens Belfast.
What are your B's in?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Try Leicester, hull york, Plymouth, St. George's, Manchester, possibly Southampton and Liverpool your ukcat is good you have quite a few choices

Avoid Sheffield Cardiff Newcastle Birmingham queens Belfast.
What are your B's in?

B's in English Language, Religious Studies and IT

Plymouth has to be avoided I think since I wouldn't meet their AR cut off which is around 610 every year (they have cut offs for each section + overall cut off)

What about Dundee, Nottingham, Keele and Bristol?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by t10r
B's in English Language, Religious Studies and IT

Plymouth has to be avoided I think since I wouldn't meet their AR cut off which is around 610 every year (they have cut offs for each section + overall cut off)

What about Dundee, Nottingham, Keele and Bristol?

You should look again I'm pretty sure Plymouth has changed their system to an overall one.

I'd say your GCSEs aren't good enough for Nottingham. Not sure about Dundee but since ur only predicted 3 As and 60 percent of application is predicted a levels id avoid.
Some unis require an A in English Lang so if check.
Keele and Bristol could be a good shout however ur ukcat is quite good so there is no need to take such a risk on such ps heavy/ subjective unis. However if you do I'd just apply to the one.
Reply 5
You should look again I'm pretty sure Plymouth has changed their system to an overall one.

I'd say your GCSEs aren't good enough for Nottingham. Not sure about Dundee but since ur only predicted 3 As and 60 percent of application is predicted a levels id avoid.
Some unis require an A in English Lang so if check.
Keele and Bristol could be a good shout however ur ukcat is quite good so there is no need to take such a risk on such ps heavy/ subjective unis. However if you do I'd just apply to the one.

Right, thank you.

And I just rechecked the requirements for Plymouth and they still need individual thresholds to be met and for AR, lowest threshold was 580 in the past 5 years so it would be stupid to apply with 570 as my AR.
Original post by t10r
Right, thank you.

And I just rechecked the requirements for Plymouth and they still need individual thresholds to be met and for AR, lowest threshold was 580 in the past 5 years so it would be stupid to apply with 570 as my AR.

IMG_4800.PNG
I'm not sure where ur information from? But I inferred that they're only using total score into account since the 2017 entry had x's where cutoffs had been in previous years. And they say they're applying same system this year.
Reply 7
IMG_4800.PNG
I'm not sure where ur information from? But I inferred that they're only using total score into account since the 2017 entry had x's where cutoffs had been in previous years. And they say they're applying same system this year.

Oh, you may be right actually. I think they dropped the subsection cut offs system in 2016

I'll ring their admissions team and just double chdck
Reply 8
IMG_4800.PNG

I just rang them and yes, you're correct. They're just using an overall cut off
Original post by t10r
I just rang them and yes, you're correct. They're just using an overall cut off

Of course I am :wink: good luck in ur application!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Of course I am :wink: good luck in ur application!

Thank you very much.
I assume you've already gone through the process. If so, how did it go?
Original post by t10r
Thank you very much.
I assume you've already gone through the process. If so, how did it go?

Ahahaha no I haven't actually I'm applying this year like you but I've researched every uni cause my ukcat is quite low so I'm pretty knowledgable :smile:

You're very welcome
Reply 12
Ahahaha no I haven't actually I'm applying this year like you but I've researched every uni cause my ukcat is quite low so I'm pretty knowledgable :smile:

You're very welcome

Oh cool. Whereabouts are you applying and what are your stats like?

Also, for St George's, I meet their GCSE requirements of 416 points but for the UKCAT, they had 2600 last year so do you think it's worth me applying with 2680 or is it risky since idk how much they fluctuate every year
Hi
Original post by t10r
Oh cool. Whereabouts are you applying and what are your stats like?

Also, for St George's, I meet their GCSE requirements of 416 points but for the UKCAT, they had 2600 last year so do you think it's worth me applying with 2680 or is it risky since idk how much they fluctuate every year

It'll be risky for sure but if there's nowhere else u might have to take risk I don't wanna say cause I don't wanna be reason you're rejected lmao but if I were in your position I'd probably apply. Wait till ukcat averages are released and see what decile 2600 was in that year and 2680 in this year. Or if averages have increased or decreased across the board

I'm applying to Bristol, keele, queens Belfast and UEA

Stats not great ukcat:640
Gcses: 7 a*s 4 as
St Georges is actually a good option. Rarely has their threshold been 670.

You have a good ukcat score. Just avoid the heavy ukcat unis such as Newcastle and Southampton and the gcse heavy unis.
Reply 16
Original post by APPLICANT2016
St Georges is actually a good option. Rarely has their threshold been 670.

You have a good ukcat score. Just avoid the heavy ukcat unis such as Newcastle and Southampton and the gcse heavy unis.

I'm currently thinking of HYMS, St George's, Liverpool and Plymouth. I am also considering Manchester, QMUL and Leicester but not sure about these three. What do you think about these choices?

I can't apply to Bristol because of my B in Eng Lang and Keele give offers at A*AA which is not possible for me realistically.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by t10r
I'm currently thinking of HYMS, St George's, Liverpool and Plymouth. I am also considering Manchester, QMUL and Leicester but not sure about these three. What do you think about these choices?

I can't apply to Bristol because of my B in Eng Lang and Keele give offers at A*AA which is not possible for me realistically.

Leicester score your GCSEs. If you have average GCSES, Leicester is not a good idea. Manchester had a cutoff of 670 this year. So Manchester is a risk. QMUL - not sure.
Reply 18
Original post by APPLICANT2016
Leicester score your GCSEs. If you have average GCSES, Leicester is not a good idea. Manchester had a cutoff of 670 this year. So Manchester is a risk. QMUL - not sure.

So I should just go with the 4 I am thinking of excluding the ones you listed just now, what do you think? And don't worry, I'll do more research but I just need basic opinions from other people
Original post by t10r
So I should just go with the 4 I am thinking of excluding the ones you listed just now, what do you think? And don't worry, I'll do more research but I just need basic opinions from other people

Maybe Keele, St Georges, UAE, Liverpool ?

Quick Reply

Latest