Would i be able to do a Foundation year in chemistry? Watch

Ben12345_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to do a Chemistry degree, but i have not taken A-level chemistry, but i was just wondering would a foundation year be the right choice? Also is a foundation year in chemistry really hard?

I am currently studying Business, Maths and Sociology and i achieved BDE in my AS results, but i do believe i can do much better.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ben12345_)
I want to do a Chemistry degree, but i have not taken A-level chemistry, but i was just wondering would a foundation year be the right choice? Also is a foundation year in chemistry really hard?

I am currently studying Business, Maths and Sociology and i achieved BDE in my AS results, but i do believe i can do much better.
Yes. Better your grades then the better course you can get on.

https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/u...oundation-year
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's no reason to suppose you can't - that said, in my foundation, Chemistry was considered by most the hardest of the three subjects we did (ours had Chemistry, Biology, and Maths - albeit the latter to a much lesser extent than the others). It also was usually the most challenging to transition to the degree level work in, as the people who did go into chemistry, even after getting the top marks in the foundation in that area, struggled with the first year content. However, they all eventually found their bearing and did well enough by the end of the course - the two from my cohort who did Chem got a 1st and a 2:1 (they both scraped a pass at ~40% in first year).

The major thing I would comment on is your Maths - something for you to reflect on. If you're honest with yourself, did you deserve that grade, and could you do better? Maths is pretty important for chemistry (it's inescapable for Physical Chemistry, which is in itself integral to any chemistry course). If you really struggled with the calculus content, consider whether Chemistry would be the right choice - calculus is the study of rates of change, which unsurprisingly is a major consideration in chemistry (rates of reaction, thermodynamics, energy gradients both at the meso and sub-micro scale).

I think it's not an unreasonable prospect - just be realistic about what it will take and the work you will need to put in. I think it's a fairly rewarding subject at least
Ben12345_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I will make sure I improve my grades with maths D1 just let me down I'm fine at calculus. In addition do you think I could get into the UEA chemistry foundation year because they require CCC and I was also considering Loughborough which is a BBB-CCC requirement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (15)
17.05%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (6)
6.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (16)
18.18%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (11)
12.5%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (11)
12.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (29)
32.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed