A Level revision guides? Worth buying?

Watch
e2014
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there,
I'm looking at my A Level subjects and wondering if buying a 'revision guide' is worth it. I've heard from some people that revision guides for A Level don't go into the depth needed for an A*. I'm looking at a Hodder Education History guide.

NamesAreEffort
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've bought 2 for politics, 3 for history and 1 for economics and they definitely don't go into the depth needed for an A*. But they're really good for putting all your notes in one place, they were my reference point for making revision notes, and in turn for building on those notes. They were also really useful for any reading ahead, and then for doing last minute cramming for a test if I haven't made proper revision notes.

Finally, for the essay subjects I do any extra info is useful and some of them have been great for that...so all around it's not necessary and definitely won't get you an A* on your own, but I don't regret spending that much on revision resources at all
SpidgetFinner
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got A*AA and I only used revision guides and past papers so ignore anyone who says they're not in depth enough
NamesAreEffort
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SpidgetFinner)
I got A*AA and I only used revision guides and past papers so ignore anyone who says they're not in depth enough
Subjects like History don't have a list of exact knowledge you are supposed to have, so it's possible to get fantastic grades by using a small amount of info excellently, or huge amounts excellently. Being able to only use revision guides doesn't mean they're in depth enough it just means you were efficient.

Relative to the amount of knowledge you could use, or all the possible arguments or analysis those revision guides are definitely not in depth. If that depth is what you're seeking then the revision guides aren't good enough, but you don't need that level of depth to get a great grade in the first place. That's not the same as "the revision guides alone got me good grades so they're in depth."
SpidgetFinner
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NamesAreEffort)
Subjects like History don't have a list of exact knowledge you are supposed to have, so it's possible to get fantastic grades by using a small amount of info excellently, or huge amounts excellently. Being able to only use revision guides doesn't mean they're in depth enough it just means you were efficient.

Relative to the amount of knowledge you could use, or all the possible arguments or analysis those revision guides are definitely not in depth. If that depth is what you're seeking then the revision guides aren't good enough, but you don't need that level of depth to get a great grade in the first place.
Meh, I dunno about history tbf. I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths
e2014
Rep:
?
I've bought 2 for politics, 3 for history and 1 for economics and they definitely don't go into the depth needed for an A*. But they're really good for putting all your notes in one place, they were my reference point for making revision notes, and in turn for building on those notes. They were also really useful for any reading ahead, and then for doing last minute cramming for a test if I haven't made proper revision notes.

Finally, for the essay subjects I do any extra info is useful and some of them have been great for that...so all around it's not necessary and definitely won't get you an A* on your own, but I don't regret spending that much on revision resources at all
Hi! I'm doing Politics and History too. What revision books did you buy? I'm looking at textbooks and revision guides on Amazon and all in all it'll be so expensive. I'm waiting until school starts in case they provide textbooks, but in regards to revision guides, what ones do you have?
NamesAreEffort
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by e2014)
Hi! I'm doing Politics and History too. What revision books did you buy? I'm looking at textbooks and revision guides on Amazon and all in all it'll be so expensive. I'm waiting until school starts in case they provide textbooks, but in regards to revision guides, what ones do you have?
These

Name:  20170831_184022.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  483.4 KB
e2014
Rep:
?
These

Name:  20170831_184022.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  483.4 KB
Ooooh great! Everyone keeps saying how much harder A Levels are and how you have to do so much wider reading so I'm looking at all these textbooks and wider reading texts and I just don't know what's worth buying!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads