asdfghjkk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was wondering what people doing a pharmacy degree got at A-level, and if anyone got lower than their offer and still got in? Thank you
jadder1224
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by asdfghjkk)
I was wondering what people doing a pharmacy degree got at A-level, and if anyone got lower than their offer and still got in? Thank you
Hi there!
I got offered ABB from Liverpool John Moores University to study Pharmacy. I got in with BBC!
Good luck
asdfghjkk
Rep:
?
(Original post by jadder1224)
Hi there!
I got offered ABB from Liverpool John Moores University to study Pharmacy. I got in with BBC!
Good luck
Thank you! I'm so pleased that the entry requirements aren't as rigid as I thought. That's really helped
jadder1224
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you! I'm so pleased that the entry requirements aren't as rigid as I thought. That's really helped
Glad I could help
Zaki_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got into sussex with ABC, when my offer was ABB
my friend got into brighton with BBC and her offer was ABB too
FiniteZ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My friend got into clearing with CCC. Hope this helps
Hoganballs
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is it any wonder the "profession" of Pharmacy has went down the toilet when students are getting into study it with grades as low as CCC. Roll up roll up, collect ten crisp packets and get into Pharmacy . The Unis and Multiples are rubbing their hands with glee because saturation only benefits them not the individual Pharmacists out there.
crazy.chemist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hoganballs)
Is it any wonder the "profession" of Pharmacy has went down the toilet when students are getting into study it with grades as low as CCC. Roll up roll up, collect ten crisp packets and get into Pharmacy . The Unis and Multiples are rubbing their hands with glee because saturation only benefits them not the individual Pharmacists out there.
Totally agree mate!
CCC, no offence, but they're gonna struggle big time.
I heard last yr of a girl getting in with CCD !!!!
Madness.
I wonder if she is going into her second year? I hate to say it, but probably not, unless she spent every night with her head in her books, etc
It's a bloody hard, difficult demanding course. For 4 yrs of your life with a pre-reg year, another difficult exam and then the prospect of no job, or a crappy low paid job!
I wish people who miss their medicine or dentistry grades would do some research rather than just think, " oh i'll do pharmacy then !" But do you WANT to be a pharmacist in 5 yrs time ???? That is the question! And the answer is probably NO, i really want to be a Dr/ Dentist/Optician/Vet whatever.
i'm fed up of people using pharmacy as the dustbin, get out of jail free, get in easy thru clearing (ps. they just want your 9k !) course.
Please think hard first.
But good luck to everyone whatever you decide !
Hopefully a gap yr to take stock and think !!
Hoganballs
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Its not a case of being elitist either, it's simply a case of being undercut by inferior candidates. If person A is of a lesser ability than person B but willing to work for substantially less than person B, then person A will get the job every time, especially if it's in Community Pharmacy. I entered the Pharmacy course in one of the red brick Russell Unis way way back in September 2001, a few weeks after the infamous attacks in New York. Back then Pharmacy was seen as the bees kness, a highly respectable profession which rewarded people quite handsomely. Fast forward 16 years and what do you have? A shambles to be quite honest - a glut of graduates, poor job prospects and salaries, poor working conditions, low chances of Pharmacy ownership, a regulator in the pocket of Multiples and a profession who's direction is dictated by the Multiples. Anybody considering studying needs their head read.
asdfghjkk
Rep:
?
(Original post by crazy.chemist)
Totally agree mate!
Madness.
I wonder if she is going into her second year? I hate to say it, but probably not, unless she spent every night with her head in her books, etc
It's a bloody hard, difficult demanding course. For 4 yrs of your life with a pre-reg year, another difficult exam and then the prospect of no job, or a crappy low paid job!
I wish people who miss their medicine or dentistry grades would do some research rather than just think, " oh i'll do pharmacy then !" But do you WANT to be a pharmacist in 5 yrs time ???? That is the question! And the answer is probably NO, i really want to be a Dr/ Dentist/Optician/Vet whatever.
i'm fed up of people using pharmacy as the dustbin, get out of jail free, get in easy thru clearing (ps. they just want your 9k !) course.
Please think hard first.
Its not a case of being elitist either, it's simply a case of being undercut by inferior candidates. If person A is of a lesser ability than person B but willing to work for substantially less than person B, then person A will get the job every time, especially if it's in Community Pharmacy. I entered the Pharmacy course in one of the red brick Russell Unis way way back in September 2001, a few weeks after the infamous attacks in New York. Back then Pharmacy was seen as the bees kness, a highly respectable profession which rewarded people quite handsomely. Fast forward 16 years and what do you have? A shambles to be quite honest - a glut of graduates, poor job prospects and salaries, poor working conditions, low chances of Pharmacy ownership, a regulator in the pocket of Multiples and a profession who's direction is dictated by the Multiples. Anybody considering studying needs their head read.
(Original post by crazy.chemist)
Totally agree mate!
Madness.
Please think hard first.
I don't want to be a doctor. I want to be a pharmacist. I am going to choose what I want to do with my life and I do not need someone to tell me not to, as I can assure you I have looked into pharmacy. I wanted to know these grades as I struggle with anxiety, especially in exam situations and this can sometimes cause me to get very low grades. In the classroom I am a top student and I do not think that this course is beyond my ability.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Pharmacy - Wolverhampton
Pharmacy with a Foundation Year - Lincoln, Brighton, Greenwich, Liverpool John Moores, Kingston, Keele.
crazy.chemist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't want to be a doctor. I want to be a pharmacist. I am going to choose what I want to do with my life and I do not need someone to tell me not to, as I can assure you I have looked into pharmacy. I wanted to know these grades as I struggle with anxiety, especially in exam situations and this can sometimes cause me to get very low grades. In the classroom I am a top student and I do not think that this course is beyond my ability.
What about all the exams at Uni?
If you can't pass them, then you will end up repeating the year or getting kicked out.

I think you should talk to an admissions tutor at your preferred choices of pharmacy school.

Think carefully, get work experience, and talk to young newly qualified pharmacists and also current students on exam pass levels at Uni.
A level grades and getting in with slightly lower ones is only the beginning of a half a decade journey, that believe me, will be very anxiety inducing.
Take care. All the best.
Wing:)
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have heard people getting in with CCD and the offer was AAB.
Hoganballs
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wing:))
I have heard people getting in with CCD and the offer was AAB.
I despair for Pharmacy when I hear of grades this low. It's one of the reasons why Pharmacy is so poorly thought of nowadays. It seems to be the case with some of these new schools of Pharmacy, they will accept candidates no matter how poor their grades are, in order to fill up the course quotas.
There's not a snowballs chance in hell you'd get into Medicine with CCD, which demonstrates the clear difference between the quality of the two careers.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's not a snowballs chance in hell you'd get into Medicine with CCD, which demonstrates the clear difference between the quality of the two careers.

Universities devise grade requirements for two reasons - 1) academic skills required and 2) marketing. School leavers think courses/Unis must be 'better' because they ask for higher grades when actually its done on a sliding scale to regulate the number of viable applications they get. Medicine would be swamped if it asked for BBB so they ask for A*AA or AAA to narrow the field. The fact that WP applicants are accepted by leading Med Schools with lower than this and still make good doctors should tell you that actually you dont need AAA to do Medicine. The GMC regulates the number of medicine places in the UK - this is why its so competitive and why Unis set the bar so high.

You will notice that many Humanities degrees at RG Unis are lowering their grade requirements this year - because last year they scrambled to fill courses via Clearing (not a good look). One example of how grade requirements will increase the number of applicants for exactly the same course as was on offer last year at higher grades.

Pharmacy is perceived as 'shop keeping' by many school leavers and doesnt have the glamour of 'doctor'. In reality, qualified Pharmacists and Pharmacologists have far better working hours/conditions than junior doctors and are in high demand . If you look here you will see the range of (high) grades needed for Pharmacy degrees https://www.whatuni.com/degree-cours...-0c-0d-0e&rf=g Quality of careers? That's a very juvenile attitude. You'll find that those working in all medical sciences are highly prized by Universities and commercial drug companies.
Hoganballs
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You said a lot without saying very much all. First of all could you clarify what career you're in, Medicine, Pharmacy or in some way affiliated with a school of a Pharmacy? Secondly, could you show us evidence that Pharmacy graduates are in "high demand"? They might possibly be in high demand by the Multiples, but that's about it and with them it's very much a case of finding which candidate will work for the lowest amount of money. In all probability, Remote supervision will see an end to the Pharmacist on the high street anyway. In terms of the other sectors, hospital Pharmacy is very competitive and a minuscule percentage of Pharmacy graduates enter the Pharmaceutical industry. Pharmacy is perceived by many as shop keeping, and rightly so, because in reality that's where the majority of graduates end up.

You are also right about the GMC regulating the number of medicine places in the UK - they do so because they are a strong organisation who represent the views and interests of its members i.e. Doctors. Compare this to the GPHC and RPS who have never looked after the interests of Pharmacists and who maintain that the number of graduates qualifying in the UK is beyond their remit.

In terms of the quality of the two careers, no one is saying Medicine is a bed of roses, far from it in fact. Hiwever, To compare the number of hours a junior doctor works to the number of hours a Pharmacist works is not comparing like with like, as a junior doctor only spends two years in that position. Medicine imo has a better future ahead of it, Pharmacy is set for automation and a good deal of Pharmacists will become surplus to requirements.
asdfghjkk
Rep:
?
You said a lot without saying very much all. First of all could you clarify what career you're in, Medicine, Pharmacy or in some way affiliated with a school of a Pharmacy? Secondly, could you show us evidence that Pharmacy graduates are in "high demand"? They might possibly be in high demand by the Multiples, but that's about it and with them it's very much a case of finding which candidate will work for the lowest amount of money. In all probability, Remote supervision will see an end to the Pharmacist on the high street anyway. In terms of the other sectors, hospital Pharmacy is very competitive and a minuscule percentage of Pharmacy graduates enter the Pharmaceutical industry. Pharmacy is perceived by many as shop keeping, and rightly so, because in reality that's where the majority of graduates end up.

You are also right about the GMC regulating the number of medicine places in the UK - they do so because they are a strong organisation who represent the views and interests of its members i.e. Doctors. Compare this to the GPHC and RPS who have never looked after the interests of Pharmacists and who maintain that the number of graduates qualifying in the UK is beyond their remit.

In terms of the quality of the two careers, no one is saying Medicine is a bed of roses, far from it in fact. Hiwever, To compare the number of hours a junior doctor works to the number of hours a Pharmacist works is not comparing like with like, as a junior doctor only spends two years in that position. Medicine imo has a better future ahead of it, Pharmacy is set for automation and a good deal of Pharmacists will become surplus to requirements.
What profession are you in? I was wondering where you are getting all of this information from as you seem to know an awful lot about it
asdfghjkk
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Universities devise grade requirements for two reasons - 1) academic skills required and 2) marketing. School leavers think courses/Unis must be 'better' because they ask for higher grades when actually its done on a sliding scale to regulate the number of viable applications they get. Medicine would be swamped if it asked for BBB so they ask for A*AA or AAA to narrow the field. The fact that WP applicants are accepted by leading Med Schools with lower than this and still make good doctors should tell you that actually you dont need AAA to do Medicine. The GMC regulates the number of medicine places in the UK - this is why its so competitive and why Unis set the bar so high.

You will notice that many Humanities degrees at RG Unis are lowering their grade requirements this year - because last year they scrambled to fill courses via Clearing (not a good look). One example of how grade requirements will increase the number of applicants for exactly the same course as was on offer last year at higher grades.

Pharmacy is perceived as 'shop keeping' by many school leavers and doesnt have the glamour of 'doctor'. In reality, qualified Pharmacists and Pharmacologists have far better working hours/conditions than junior doctors and are in high demand . If you look here you will see the range of (high) grades needed for Pharmacy degrees https://www.whatuni.com/degree-cours...-0c-0d-0e&rf=g Quality of careers? That's a very juvenile attitude. You'll find that those working in all medical sciences are highly prized by Universities and commercial drug companies.
Thank you for this. It was really really helpful and I’m pleased that you can agree with me that pharmacy is still a highly credited degree x
billyrodes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i gt ddc and i did foundation year
bokodhd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
where?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (262)
67.01%
No (129)
32.99%

Watched Threads