This discussion is closed.
Sumerah.a
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys I just need some advice. I got 640 as my average on the UKCAT and for some reason I got a band 4 in my SJT even though I was getting band 1/2 at home on mocks. I was just wondering whether there's any point in even applying for unis such as Manchester. Also, does having 9A*s and 4 A's at GCSE and then 3 A's at AS help my chances at all? Thankyou very much
tangled23
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your ukcat score is good but it's your sjt score that will hinder you. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think I know any UKCAT uni that accepts a band 4. I would say your best bet is to take the bmat and apply to atleast 2 bmat unis. Good luck!
onceuponamedic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,

Congrats on your UKCAT score! There's no need to be so worried about it, 640 is not 'low'...it actually falls within the category of 'average'. Anything between 600-650 is average so you're actually on the higher end of that band.

You can definitely still get into Medicine with your score, but you do need to be careful about which unis you apply to. Have a read of the way you can make sure you're applying to the right places by checking out this post:
masumahjannah.wordpress.com/low-ukcat-score

In terms of your SJT...luckily most universities don't use it at all unless a tie breaking situation comes up. But some unis reject all those who have got band 4...so make sure that you definitely don't apply to those as it'll be a wasted application!
ax12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sumerah.a)
Hi guys I just need some advice. I got 640 as my average on the UKCAT and for some reason I got a band 4 in my SJT even though I was getting band 1/2 at home on mocks. I was just wondering whether there's any point in even applying for unis such as Manchester. Also, does having 9A*s and 4 A's at GCSE and then 3 A's at AS help my chances at all? Thankyou very much
Manchester invite you to interview if you're in the top 1/3 of UKCAT scores, which you may well be with that score. It's impossible to tell until they release the percentiles for this year though.

https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1059/u...-2012-2016.pdf

It's worth avoiding strong UKCAT universities, but you may do OK with places like Nottingham and Leicester which score your UKCAT and GCSEs together, so your GCSEs can pull up your score.

Also check whether there's a cut-off for the SJT at universities that you want to apply to as some places don't accept anyone with a SJT of 4 or 5.
Sumerah.a
Rep:
?
(Original post by tangled23)
Your ukcat score is good but it's your sjt score that will hinder you. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't think I know any UKCAT uni that accepts a band 4. I would say your best bet is to take the bmat and apply to atleast 2 bmat unis. Good luck!

Thankyou so much for your honesty
Sumerah.a
Rep:
?
(Original post by ax12)
Manchester invite you to interview if you're in the top 1/3 of UKCAT scores, which you may well be with that score. It's impossible to tell until they release the percentiles for this year though.

https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1059/u...-2012-2016.pdf

It's worth avoiding strong UKCAT universities, but you may do OK with places like Nottingham and Leicester which score your UKCAT and GCSEs together, so your GCSEs can pull up your score.

Also check whether there's a cut-off for the SJT at universities that you want to apply to as some places don't accept anyone with a SJT of 4 or 5.

I appreciate that very much Thankyou
Sumerah.a
Rep:
?
(Original post by medblog)
Hey,

Congrats on your UKCAT score! There's no need to be so worried about it, 640 is not 'low'...it actually falls within the category of 'average'. Anything between 600-650 is average so you're actually on the higher end of that band.

You can definitely still get into Medicine with your score, but you do need to be careful about which unis you apply to. Have a read of the way you can make sure you're applying to the right places by checking out this post:
masumahjannah.wordpress.com/low-ukcat-score

In terms of your SJT...luckily most universities don't use it at all unless a tie breaking situation comes up. But some unis reject all those who have got band 4...so make sure that you definitely don't apply to those as it'll be a wasted application!
I'll definitely be checking the link out, Thankyou v much
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bristol doesnt look at sjt. And it doesnt use a cut-off score for UKCAT.
gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Apply Birmingham, Cardiff, QuB, Leicester.You're very likely to get 4 interviews with ur gcses(providing a*s are english maths and sciences)
Sumerah.a
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Bristol doesnt look at sjt. And it doesnt use a cut-off score for UKCAT.
Thanks for letting me know
Sumerah.a
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScienceFantatic)
Apply Birmingham, Cardiff, QuB, Leicester.You're very likely to get 4 interviews with ur gcses(providing a*s are english maths and sciences)

Yes they are and Thankyou, I'll most definitely be checking these unis out
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (47)
18.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (73)
27.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (100)
38.31%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (32)
12.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.45%

Watched Threads