What are your top tips to manage headaches?

Watch
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Today I've had a really bad headache. It's probably from not drinking enough and some stress/tension due to a busy day at work. I always try and avoid pain killers if I can and drink more water, but that's not always very effective.

How do you manage headaches best? Do you suffer with headaches or migraines often? How long do they last?
Rum Ham
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I hope you feel better soon :hugs:

I suffer from both headaches and migraines. I get tension headaches most days due to anxiety, posture, lack of sleep etc and migraines maybe a few times a month.

The best tips I have for preventing headaches - especially tension headaches would be to makes sure you are always hydrated, correct your posture if you sit and stand hunched like me, try to keep stress levels low, try to get a decent sleep every night and if you have to wear glasses, make sure your wear them as eye strain is a big trigger for headaches.

The same tips also work for migraines. Another tip for preventing migraines is to make sure your blood sugar never gets low - if you are prone to migraines then eat as soon as you feel hungry as I've found hunger can trigger migraines. Usually though it's stress, hormone changes or stress that causes mine.

As for dealing with the pain, I usually just take ibuprofen. For a migraine though, no painkiller seems to work unless I take it at the aura stage of the migraine but some migraines just skip straight to the pain stage so you don't always have that warning that a migraine is coming. When that happens, I still take painkillers anyway in the hope they might help and I lay in a dark room with an ice pack on my head or I apply that BioFreeze gel to it. I also go for a bath if I can manage it.

If I don't have any painkillers, then a good neck message can help a tension headache as I find a lot of my headaches start from the back of my neck due to my terrible posture and since I always clench my jaw when I'm stressed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kindred
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
DRINK!
Even if dehydration is not the cause of the headache it can make one so much worse and it's easy to forget to drink enough if you are feeling ill. First thing I do if I am getting a headache is have a glass of water.

Rest.
I have dyslexia so this is especially relevant to me as I can be more sensitive to eye strain (which leads to headaches). After a drink of water I will rest my eyes and head. Not so easy to do if out and about, bu at home I will turn down the lights and lay down for a bit.

Food.
Not getting enough of various nutrients can give you a headache, so if drink and rest don't help, having a snack is a good idea. Especially important if you know you haven't eaten much recently or are prone to lows in things like sugar.

Painkillers.
Most headaches aren't a big deal and will go away with some painkillers. It can be a real help if the headache is stopping you from doing things and you don't have the time or resources to give yourself some rest.

Deal with it.
Sometimes you don't want to take a painkiller (I'm not a huge fan of using them too often) so you just need to do what you can to reduce it and wait it out. That's my approach with most aches and pains.

Those are my usual steps and I don't think I've ever had to go past them.

Hope your head is feeling better now BB
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I drink a pint of squash, take painkillers, reduce anything like noise or light, then put 4head on my forehead to reduce it whilst the painkillers kick in.
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I used to get headaches every day for months and killer migraines several times a month. I saw a neurologist who prescribed me topamax which I take twice a day and sumatriptan which I take at the first sign of a migraine. Both work really really well. Haven't had a full on migraine in months and any headaches I do get now are very mild.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I've had migraine on and off since I was a teenager.

They came back in 2012 and just won't go.

A few things:

- work out your triggers. I had a really horrible episode last year where I had migraine plus vertigo. (I was so dizzy I couldn't stand) It took me a week to work out cream cheese is a trigger. And so is something else. But I have no idea what that something else is.

- drink water

- eat something. Even if it's just a bit of toast

- keep a diary. I have all kinds of triggers and they're not always obvious

There is a myth (apparently) that a lot of people get migraine from chocolate. It's usually because it's the first thing you reach for.

It took me about 2 years to find medication that works. My GP put me on the pill (it's not used for this, usually. But I was desperate) because my periods give me migraine. I also take Topamax and a nasal version of sumatriptan.
username2896864
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
1. Painkillers
2. Sleep ~ when I wake up it's usually gone
SMEGGGY
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
Today I've had a really bad headache. It's probably from not drinking enough and some stress/tension due to a busy day at work. I always try and avoid pain killers if I can and drink more water, but that's not always very effective.

How do you manage headaches best? Do you suffer with headaches or migraines often? How long do they last?
Check it's not high blood pressure related, I had migraines and didn't go DR to check blood pressure and paid for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Avoid headaches is not so easy without to control the whether. Whenever it is changing quite often, so from sunny to rainy, from rainy to windy and from windy to sunny, etc. I get headaches automatically. The best what can I do for that is to take a pill of aspirine or to sleep a little bit. After some hours they are gone as a rule.
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Avoid headaches is not so easy without to control the whether. Whenever it is changing quite often
Not even just when it changes. I live in the Southern US and it's regularly 36C here - if I make the mistake of going out without a hat and sunglasses, yep headache. Even in the UK in summer I would advise a hat and sunglasses.

I don't know about the UK in the winter, but if there's a lot of snow sunglasses can be a good idea then too because of the sun reflecting off the snow into your eyes.

If you wear glasses I advise getting transitions lenses.
Elizabeth II
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I suffer with chronic migraine, which means I suffer with severe pain very often. It's extremely debilitating, during a migraine I also suffer with something called allodynia in which my skin becomes incredibly sensitive and painful to touch, it's hard to dress myself or sleep, or do... anything... in that state, it's not pleasant.

Luckily for me, I have quite a telltale aura. Whenever a migraine is coming on, I will have pain in my neck -- this is the signal to me to take some ibuprofen with a rather strong coffee (not decaf) and so the pain doesn't get to me. That's all I can really recommend! I always carry ibuprofen or paracetamol with me for this very purpose. If I run out, or don't have it for some reason... I blow off all of my plans and find a way to retreat home to a dark, cool and quiet room to sleep until it passes.

Hope you're feeling better soon bubbles, headaches are awful. :console:
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Not even just when it changes. I live in the Southern US and it's regularly 36C here - if I make the mistake of going out without a hat and sunglasses, yep headache. Even in the UK in summer I would advise a hat and sunglasses.

I don't know about the UK in the winter, but if there's a lot of snow sunglasses can be a good idea then too because of the sun reflecting off the snow into your eyes.

If you wear glasses I advise getting transitions lenses.
Blessedly, this was not happened to myself yet. But it is a pain in my eyes going without sunglasses through cities in summertime.
Kathy89
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hope you feel better now.

Do you suffer with headaches or migraines often?
I have both, thankfully not often now.

How do you manage headaches best?
1. If it is a headache and I know the cause I will treat the cause. It is either my eyesight. I tend not to wear glasses and sometimes don't notice I have to squint or strain my eyes. It is not serious but sometimes I'm working on the computer or reading for too long or walking around unfamiliar places and have to strain. The moment I notice headache I'll wear my glasses.
2. Sometimes it is lack of food or water, or too high temperature. In these cases if I don't treat it on time it can become a migraine
3. If it is a migraine and I catch it on the stage of aura, I'd take a medicine. If not, nothing would really help, just rest in a dark place and try to sleep it over.

Thankfully ever since I became vegan and stopped taking contraceptive pills (not related to being vegan) the migraines almost stopped.
As for the headaches they are not as frequent as before. Mostly because I am more aware of them and take care of them on time.

How long do they last?
Migraines can last even a few days. Usually about 4-6 hours. Depends on what I do. If I have a migraine during work it is the worst. Or at night. There was one time after work when I had a migraine and had to call my boyfriend to pick me up because I could not see anything as it was either too dark or any light glare would blind me. It lasted for almost two days then suddenly disappeared.
Now it almost never happen.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
Sleep
Kindred
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Can't be a coincidence that you posted this and I now have a headache. You clearly cursed me somehow! :unimpressed:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.61%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.74%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.52%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.35%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (214)
46.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.26%

Watched Threads