The Student Room Group

Graduating with a Scottish MA, I am confused and need help

Hi guys, so for the past year I have been struggling with anxiety after a traumatic event and couldn't finish my dissertation, which means not completing my honours. Now my University in Scotland is offering me a MA degree without honour, but with Merit.

I have looked up online about a designated degree, and unfortunately I couldn't find anything that mentions a designated degree with classification. So now the question is, would my "MA with Merit" title be accepted as a real Masters degree? If not is it hard to find a job or enter a postgraduate program with said title?
Original post by M.W.C
Hi guys, so for the past year I have been struggling with anxiety after a traumatic event and couldn't finish my dissertation, which means not completing my honours. Now my University in Scotland is offering me a MA degree without honour, but with Merit.

I have looked up online about a designated degree, and unfortunately I couldn't find anything that mentions a designated degree with classification. So now the question is, would my "MA with Merit" title be accepted as a real Masters degree? If not is it hard to find a job or enter a postgraduate program with said title?

If it's a university that awards MA degrees out of convention, rather than studying an extra year at masters level, then it will not be considered as a "real" masters level degree.

I'm not sure how the lack of honours affects your job prospects (I don't think that a lot of people outside of academia are really that aware of what it all means), but it might affect your chances of securing a place on a postgraduate course, particularly if your dissertation was not complete.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending