The Student Room Group

A level Maths?

I am really unsure what A-levels to do. I enjoy maths but not sure if I will be able to cope with a level. my sister did it and found it very hard but I did get an A at GCSE. I am doing French and history already and maybe maths. I don't really love any subjects and I am not better at any.
What do you want to do with your life?
Honestly, I am in the same boat. Do you know what you want to study at uni, or what you want to work as?
I somehow managed an 8 in maths at GCSE, but I don't know if this will be enough, as I found parts of GCSE quite challenging.
I'm sure if you work hard enough and just practice you can certainly take maths, especially if you enjoy it.
Reply 3
Original post by num.7
What do you want to do with your life?

I want to study law at university so for Oxford I need AAA
Reply 4
Original post by TheOGHermione
Honestly, I am in the same boat. Do you know what you want to study at uni, or what you want to work as?
I somehow managed an 8 in maths at GCSE, but I don't know if this will be enough, as I found parts of GCSE quite challenging.
I'm sure if you work hard enough and just practice you can certainly take maths, especially if you enjoy it.

are you planning on taking maths? thank you for your advice, I hope ill be able to manage it
Original post by Hannahp2000
are you planning on taking maths? thank you for your advice, I hope ill be able to manage it

I'm really not sure yet, I think I've decided I'd like to do medicine (preferably at Oxford), and so I know Maths would help, but it's really not my strong point.
If you have an interest in maths at all, I would advise you to take it. For me it is one of the easiest A-levels and is pretty much based on understanding of concepts and application. But then again the difficulty is dependent on your motivation levels and how much work you put in. However I do think that A level maths enables you to develop valuable skills and if you are unsure/don't really love any other subject that much, you should give it a go.

And if you were able to easily get an A at GCSE, with work you should be able to cope at A level enough to get an A, as long as you make sure that you understand the concepts and keep on track throughout the year. Good luck!

(P.S. It's very fun.)
Yeah maths is always a good choice if you have nothing else to do. You should be fine with an A in GCSE
Reply 8
Original post by Geodesic
If you have an interest in maths at all, I would advise you to take it. For me it is one of the easiest A-levels and is pretty much based on understanding of concepts and application. But then again the difficulty is dependent on your motivation levels and how much work you put in. However I do think that A level maths enables you to develop valuable skills and if you are unsure/don't really love any other subject that much, you should give it a go.

And if you were able to easily get an A at GCSE, with work you should be able to cope at A level enough to get an A, as long as you make sure that you understand the concepts and keep on track throughout the year. Good luck!

(P.S. It's very fun.)

Thank you so much for your reply. you have given me a better understanding and i think I will go for it as gcse wasn't that hard for me and i have a natural grasp for it but im not sure how great I will be at a level since ive been told how hard it is thanks again for your detailed r
Original post by Hannahp2000
Thank you so much for your reply. you have given me a better understanding and i think I will go for it as gcse wasn't that hard for me and i have a natural grasp for it but im not sure how great I will be at a level since ive been told how hard it is thanks again for your detailed r

Go for it and have confidence in your ability, I'm sure you'll be able to ace it.
Obviously just a personal experience, but I find GCSE maths no problem at all, and didn't need to do any revision. I found A Level maths, however, a huge step up and really difficult. It took away a lot of time that I should've devoted to other subjects.
The only thing I liked about maths was that, unlike subjects like history, and to a lesser extent french, it's just practicing questions for revision, and not learning things by heart which is a lot more tedious- so, if you're confident in your ability, I'd say, ideally, choose maths.
I found Alevel so much fun, GCSE is so diverse like you have to learn lots of different topics, I got a B at GCSE. At Alevel C1 to C4 is just building on algebra and you get to C4 and you use everything you learn from C1,2 and 3, and so it's like your building on what you know which is awsome- got an A at alevel. GO FOR IT!
A level maths is fun at times. I got an A at gcse D at AS and A at A2. you can do it if I can.
@bobwibbles haha. got the same stats as u at GCSE and AS..hopefully this year I can get ur A2 grade or higher :biggrin:
Original post by sulaimanali
@bobwibbles haha. got the same stats as u at GCSE and AS..hopefully this year I can get ur A2 grade or higher :biggrin:

youll be fine then , I resat c1 and c2 lool.
haha lool hopefully..I'm resitting all 3..C1+C2+S1 @bobwibbles
Original post by sulaimanali
haha lool hopefully..I'm resitting all 3..C1+C2+S1 @bobwibbles

I have two other friends
one got a C at AS resat c1 and c2 and got a B
One got a D at AS resat all 3 and got a D again.
Its just the effort that counts here.

Quick Reply

Latest