This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
VA200 - PMQs and Question Times Amendment

Proposed by: Quamquam123 (GRN)
Seconded by: Afcwimbledon2 (LIB), Saunders16 (LIBER), Unown Uzer (UKIP), LifeIsFine (LIB), 04mr17 (LIB)

PMQs and Question Times Amendment

This House shall adjust the Guidance Document as follows:

In the Guidance Document, amend the Prime Minister’s Questions section from:

27. Prime Minister's Questions

1) Prime Minister's Questions can take place on any day by mutual agreement of the Prime Minister and Speaker, having consulted the Leader of the Opposition. The Prime Minister should endeavour to be online as much as possible in the 24 hours after the update on that day.
2) MPs can PM the Speaker questions to be put to the Prime Minister. These should, at least roughly, relate to government actions, policies, aims or ideals.
3) By midnight two days before the chosen day, the Speaker should PM up to 8 questions to the Prime Minister. No more than one question should be from any single MP, except the Leader of the Opposition who may ask two. In the event of there being more than 8 questions for the Prime Minister, the Speaker should decide which 8 to send, but should aim to have questions from a range of parties and those from the Leader of the Opposition should take precedence.
4) The Prime Minister should answer the questions by PM to the Speaker by 5pm on the chosen day, ready for the evening update, when the Speaker should post them in the House.
5) The thread will stay open for follow-up questions to the Prime Minister until the update the next evening. All members may ask a single follow-up question, except the Leader of the Opposition who may ask two.
6) The Prime Minister may additionally nominate other government ministers to take Ministerial Questions, subject to the agreement of the Speaker.

to:

1) Prime Minister's Questions can take place on any day by mutual agreement of the Prime Minister and Speaker, having consulted the Leader of the Opposition.
2) The Speaker will create a Prime Minister’s Questions thread in which people may ask the Prime Minister questions. These should, at least roughly, relate to government actions, policies, aims or ideals. The Prime Minister should endeavour to be online as much as possible in the 48 hours after the update on that day.
3) Members are free to debate with one another in the thread but they have a limit as to how many questions they can ask the Prime Minister.
3.1) Ordinary users may ask two questions with two follow-ups.
3.2) MPs may ask four questions, with a follow-up question for each.
3.3) The Leader of the Opposition may ask six questions, with a follow-up question for each.
4) The Speaker will close the thread 48 hours after opening it, unless the Prime Minister requests them to keep it open a little longer.
5) The Prime Minister may additionally nominate other government ministers to take Ministerial Questions, subject to the agreement of the Speaker.

In the Guidance Document, add the following to the Statements of Intent, Departmental Reviews and Ministers' Questions section from:

28. Statements of Intent, Departmental Reviews and Ministers' Questions

9) Government ministers may also hold question times. These will follow the same procedure and rules as Prime Minister’s Questions.

Notes:

This amendment does four things. Firstly, it ensures that PMQs as we know it is shown in the Guidance Document, as opposed to what is actually there (ie members send questions to the Speaker who passes them on to the Prime Minister to answer). Secondly, this amendment allows members to debate with one another in the thread. It seems a shame that potential debate between members is halted in PMQs simply due to formalities. Thirdly, this amendment increases the number of questions people can ask the Prime Minister. Fourthly, the amendment ensures that Minister’s question times follow the same format and rules as PMQs.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't care.
Kalail
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Of course this would be on something that really doesn't impact society at all. Abstain
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Order!
The Ayes to the right, 14.
The Noes to the left, 12.
Abstentions, 15.

I think the Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Order!
The Ayes to the right, 14.
The Noes to the left, 12.
Abstentions, 15.

I think the Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!!
Why is this not locked?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.74%
I'm not sure (2)
1.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (58)
46.77%

Watched Threads