Sonic or Mario: which 2017 game would you get?

Watch
quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
ground rules: no hating, discriminating, trolling or bowling.

Right, so this year sees the release of Mario Odyssey and Sonic Forces. As someone who at various points in my life has been interested in one or the other, I find myself surprised to see both franchises back despite last being into either of them in the early-mid 00s.

To me Mario lis hands down more innovative than sonic but is let down by the fact that it is a nintendo exlcusive, has a soundtrack and is likely to have a crap story (as do virtually all mario games).

Sonic forces in contrast is multiplatform and gives me good vibes from what I have seen so far. It looks the best sonic game in years gameplaywise (cross between lost worlds, classic sonic and ratchet and clank), has a much better soundtrack than mario and looks more interesting in terms of design and premise. Downside the voice acting is crap (seriously, go for the voice actors from sonic x anime from 2004 or the adventure games), the levels so far seem easy and sonic has had a bad reputation for not delivering over the last few years.

So yh, sound off which one you would get / which your interested in
James2138
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
sonic

the hedgehog
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by quasa)
ground rules: no hating, discriminating, trolling or bowling.

Right, so this year sees the release of Mario Odyssey and Sonic Forces. As someone who at various points in my life has been interested in one or the other, I find myself surprised to see both franchises back despite last being into either of them in the early-mid 00s.

To me Mario lis hands down more innovative than sonic but is let down by the fact that it is a nintendo exlcusive, has a soundtrack and is likely to have a crap story (as do virtually all mario games).

Sonic forces in contrast is multiplatform and gives me good vibes from what I have seen so far. It looks the best sonic game in years gameplaywise (cross between lost worlds, classic sonic and ratchet and clank), has a much better soundtrack than mario and looks more interesting in terms of design and premise. Downside the voice acting is crap (seriously, go for the voice actors from sonic x anime from 2004 or the adventure games), the levels so far seem easy and sonic has had a bad reputation for not delivering over the last few years.

So yh, sound off which one you would get / which your interested in
Short answer: Both.

Long answer: If I could only have one, then likely Mario Odyssey, as I've played far more Mario games and have yet to be disappointed by any of them. Though TBH, the Mario game I have my eye on the most right now is Rabbids Kingdom Battle (I love turn-based strategy, and it looks a lot of fun). With Sonic, I like the characters, but the games haven't always been good so I don't have the same level of nostalgia.

*I say all this, but I still don't have a Switch* :moon:
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Would get mario if I had a switch, not gonna bother with Sonic 3D again. Got mania though and its a hell of a lot of fun.
Harooki
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've always been a huge Sonic fan so it's no competition for me, I'm really looking forward to playing Forces. Odyssey also looks super fun, but I don't have a Switch so I won't be able to play it.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally I'd go Mario, but that's largely because I haven't played much of the previous Sonic games.
ranger12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would get both but if i had to pick one then it would be Mario odyssey mainly due to the fact there is free roam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
38.14%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.79%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed