Turn on thread page Beta

Do you like Americans? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Hungarian/American student, and I'll be going to a British uni next year (hopefully). With all the crazy political happenings lately, do the British like Americans in general? I spen a couple of weeks in Europe this summer, and got mixed results to this question... Should I be scared/anxious about going to school there?

ReputationRep:
    I think if there is any hatred its towards to the US Government (aka Bush) and is it certainly not directed towards any US citezens, as longs as you don't moan about the lack of air conditioning then you will find the brits like the Americans. have found them to be charming people and quite funny.

ReputationRep:
    No way! At least in my experience, Americans are warmly welcomed here. We get quite a few of them (American ships often dock in pompey) so it's not uncommon to come across one or two. There is rarely any trouble.

Any American jokes you come across, take them as a joke. I don't think anybody really means it. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aggie)
    I'm a Hungarian/American student, and I'll be going to a British uni next year (hopefully). With all the crazy political happenings lately, do the British like Americans in general? I spen a couple of weeks in Europe this summer, and got mixed results to this question... Should I be scared/anxious about going to school there?
    Where is america?
    np you could look @ D&D it talks for itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aggie)
    I am currently on a summer placement and through this have met a young American (26 yrs old) who recently moved to the U.K.

She says that she enounters anti Americanism every day even if it is just people sneering at her and saying "dam yanks".

it is currently "fashionable" to hate American in the U.K and this will probably continue until Bush leaves office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aggie)
    Hasnt this topic been done before? There is a bit of an anti-american feel in ENgland but its generally just a lighthearted banter thing. I tend to have something against America as a whole (nothing personal, just the government and way of doing things that annoys me - but its not like a serious hatred or anything). But I have nothing against Americans, it doesnt matter where someone comes from as long as theyre a nice person! Some American people I've met have been so nice so I wouldnt worry

ReputationRep:
    I like Americans. They get a spectacularly negative portrayal on TV programs though. But some of the americans I have met were overwhelmingly intelligent. And all of them have been very considerate, very nice, and genuine.

ReputationRep:
    I like Americans but I dislike the American leadership.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aggie)
    i dont think you will find anyone who actively hates americans, but you will find plenty of people saying things like 'bloody americans', then slating the american accent, moaning about american TV, criticising anything remotely related to US politics, whining about fast-food which is all americas fault, americans being all obese, intellectually inferior, naive, religious nutcases, evil, war mongerers, jingoistic and generally culturally inept morons.

apart from that, most people claim they dont really have a problem with americans. after all, us europeans have an open-mind!

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha! ... I like that description of Americans... *stabs heart*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aggie)
    hahahaha! ... I like that description of Americans... *stabs heart*
    its almost subconscious, they dont know they are being anti-american so claim to like them with all honesty. since amazingtrade was first to reply, lets have an example if he'll forgive me,

he claims, like most Britons,

"I think if there is any hatred..its certainly not directed towards any US citezens, as longs as you don't moan about the lack of air conditioning then you will find the brits like the Americans. have found them to be charming people and quite funny."

but also appears to find,

"I don't give a sh*t what lame Americans think"
    "Can be annoyingly smug - So can the americans"
    "I never have worked out why some americans take everything the wrong way. You see in the UK we have this thing called sarcasisim"
    "my greivence is with America. I hate everything it stands for, selfishness"
    "I love the irony, especialy the irony of Americans."
    "America is just selfish and wants only what is best for them."
    "I hate America because they seem to abuse their power and they think nothing of running 6 litre gas guzzlers casuing stupid amounts of C02 and wasting valuable fuel resources."
    "I wouldn't want one in New York for serveral reasons one of them is that its in America "

Britons tend to hide a fuller sentiment, more than you have come to expect from an American.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i dont think you will find anyone who actively hates americans, but you will find plenty of people saying things like 'bloody americans', then slating the american accent, moaning about american TV, criticising anything remotely related to US politics, whining about fast-food which is all americas fault, americans being all obese, intellectually inferior, naive, religious nutcases, evil, war mongerers, jingoistic and generally culturally inept morons.

apart from that, most people claim they dont really have a problem with americans. after all, us europeans have an open-mind!
    Lol I think that just about sums it up. I always say 'bloody americans'!

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that British people dislike Americans coz they have the reputation for being lazy/fat/in-your-face/dumb etc...but I spent the summer over in America and never did I meet one person who lived up to that stereotype. And although on first impressions they all were pretty open/confident, once I got to know them, they all seemed just like British people! Aggie, I really don't think you have anything to worry about, I'm sure intitially people will be interested in the fact that you're American, but noway will they discriminate against you bcoz of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinity Blume)
    I always thought that British people dislike Americans coz they have the reputation for being lazy/fat/in-your-face/dumb etc...but I spent the summer over in America and never did I meet one person who lived up to that stereotype. And although on first impressions they all were pretty open/confident, once I got to know them, they all seemed just like British people!
    hehe, if you reversed the scenario, i think people would be scrambling to say 'stupid american!'

Aggie, I really don't think you have anything to worry about, I'm sure intitially people will be interested in the fact that you're American, but noway will they discriminate against you bcoz of it!
    and if they havent been to the US to learn the error of their ways?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aggie)
    That's like asking "Do you like food?" There's gonna be some food I like and some I don't. Personally I like the Americans I have met. I dislike Bush but I don't judge any other Americans because of this.

Enjoy your time in the UK! If anything being American will be an advantage, something a bit different and worth talking about.

ReputationRep:
    oh the one thing I forgot to say - buy a little book on sarcasm. I mean I know you Americans are totally up to date with that whole sarcasm thing, but just in case - you know. There we go, that was sarcasm there.

It's the greatest form of wit - learn to love it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind Americans.

ReputationRep:
    I always find americans a little loud/ over the top which can get a bit annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mimd them. Sometimes a few of them think they are superior than others, but again this is not distinct with USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aggie)
    I like Canadians more

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.