Going to the gym alone Watch

CharlieeK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've never been to a gym and I really want to start going. I'd probably just want to use the treadmill, at least at first anyway. However I'm really anxious about going, I struggle with bad social anxiety.
Does anyone here go to the gym alone? Is it weird to go alone? Also would it be weird to go and just do cardio? I'm a guy so I'd imagine most would be lifting, not just cardio.
Code101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CharlieeK)
I've never been to a gym and I really want to start going. I'd probably just want to use the treadmill, at least at first anyway. However I'm really anxious about going, I struggle with bad social anxiety.
Does anyone here go to the gym alone? Is it weird to go alone? Also would it be weird to go and just do cardio? I'm a guy so I'd imagine most would be lifting, not just cardio.
Hey, I like other people go to the gym alone. It aint all the time that mates can meet up to go so you'd end up going alone most times anyway and its easier to focus on what you want to do. It isnt weird to do just cardio but it would be beneficial if you throw in some weight machines aswell to mix things up and get a good overall workout.
TheMannMountain1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello. I have always gone to the gym alone, and I've been going for about 3 years. Personally, I feel it's better to go alone as you can be more focused, and you can clear your mind better than if you had a friend to distract you. There's also no need to worry about just doing cardio, because a lot of people at my gym have never set foot in the weight room. I do a bit of cardio and weights, as they are relevant for the sports I play. Plus, everyone is there to better themselves, so it's one of the least judgemental places to be. Good luck with everything.
12ksmith
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whenever I go I go alone. It's absolutely normal. Tbf I find going alone more effective as you don't spend time chatting to mates etc.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Mehhhh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm assuming that your main goal is to build muscle, right? I'd strongly suggest that you go to the free weights area and ignore cardio. Yes it will be awkward as it is your first time, trust me I remember my first time! It's a lot easier to conquer your fear from day one instead of having the "I'll do cardio today, weights next time" attitude. Chances are you will end up saying the same thing next time, and the time after that, so go to the free weights area immediately without potentially wasting a lot of your time

About 50% of the time I go to the gym alone. It is far from unusual to go on your own; most people there are on their own. Over time as you become a regular gym goer, you will develop friendships with other regulars there, it's inevitable.

Before you do go though, make sure that you watch some tutorials on youtube on how to do the exercises properly with good form, in particular the squat, bench and deadlift. Good people that come to mind to search up on are: Alan thrall, buff dudes, layne norton, omarisuf
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've always gone solo. You'll feel more confident once you've had a gym induction, which is always 1:1, as then you'll know exactly how to use the kit and will have a programme to follow.
LeRiver
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh - I always go to the gym alone. Actually I wish I had my own gym so that I could work out without anyone else around.
Perksy121
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I go to the gym alone all the time, it's not unusual at all. Neither is just doing cardio, everyone has different priorities, there's no need to feel self-conscious at all! :-)
JamesH2017
Badges: 14
Report 1 year ago
I understand you may be worried that your anxiety may prevent you from feeling comfortable going to the gym and/or going alone BUT I don't think it will be as difficult as you may imagine.

Lot's of people go alone (including me, most of the time) and I often see guys and girls just doing treadmill/other cardio. One of my friends (a guy) only ever does the treadmill.

Lots of people wear earphones/listen to their own music so you don't have to worry about having to chat to anyone if that is something that worries you.

If you really want to get into going to the gym then you just have to take the first step and be brave.

Good luck.
CharlieeK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mehhhh)
I'm assuming that your main goal is to build muscle, right? I'd strongly suggest that you go to the free weights area and ignore cardio. Yes it will be awkward as it is your first time, trust me I remember my first time! It's a lot easier to conquer your fear from day one instead of having the "I'll do cardio today, weights next time" attitude. Chances are you will end up saying the same thing next time, and the time after that, so go to the free weights area immediately without potentially wasting a lot of your time

About 50% of the time I go to the gym alone. It is far from unusual to go on your own; most people there are on their own. Over time as you become a regular gym goer, you will develop friendships with other regulars there, it's inevitable.

Before you do go though, make sure that you watch some tutorials on youtube on how to do the exercises properly with good form, in particular the squat, bench and deadlift. Good people that come to mind to search up on are: Alan thrall, buff dudes, layne norton, omarisuf
No my main goal is to burn calories, not build muscle but thank you
CharlieeK
Rep:
?
Thank you all for your replies! I'm really glad it seems normal to go alone. I think I'm going to get a membership soon
bpn365
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I go to the gym alone and as far as I'm aware most people go to the gym alone so I wouldn't worry, Most people focus on themselves and their music, so they mostly won't be judging you or anything. It's easy to feel self conscious but most people are only focusing on themselves. I know lots of people who just do cardio as well so I wouldn't worry about that.
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
most people are alone when they go to the gym. I wouldn't recommend going with friends because sometimes they might cancel on you and then you might use that as an excuse not to go (i did that :/) honestly i don't think it would be that bad to go alone, you could take some earphones with you and listen to music to block out anyone, might make you feel less anxious at the gym
ElementalSB
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For my first gym visit I could imagine that I would've been scared of going alone but I had my parents there to show me around as they've been there for a long time and I had never been to a gym before. Then my brother and I went as gym partners but recently I've been mostly going on my own. I've gone with a close friend twice but I actually prefer going alone. Alone I don't tend to get anxious, as I too struggle with anxiety and specifically in social situations, but when I get more anxious about going with my friend. So just go on your own and ease into things at your own pace and you'll eventually realise that there's nothing to be anxious about and it may become the norm like for me.

Now I'm very skinny and trying to put on muscle and through that weight so I mostly steer clear or cardio but it's not weird at all. Most of the lifters in the free weights are male at my gym but you'll also see a lot of guys on cardio machines. Now they tend to be older and girls but that's just because their goal of being healthy or weight loss revolves around cardio for them. If your goal is to lose weight then sure do cardio. I would still recommend weight lifting, even if it's only on machines, because it also plays a part in losing fat and you'll look better if you burn the fat to create muscle. I hope you go and you enjoy it!
afit247
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Everyone at the gym is there for the same reason you are. They all have similar goals whether it be losing weight or gaining muscle. No one will judge you but will be more than happy to help you. Just my outlook on it.
Ruby1997
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I only ever go alone it's not weird at all! Best of luck X
captainslow12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not wierd at all. You don't go to the gym to socialize, you go to get fit. Everyone there will mind their own business, so please don't worry!
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I always go alone, nothing weird about that. No one judges you and if they do then **** what they think, it's irrelevant. You're there to train and focus on yourself. Just put some headphones on and get to work
harrythomas14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I go alone and, quite frankly, I think it's better. I can focus far better than I would if I was to go with someone else, and a great deal of people are in the same boat as me in that respect.

It's not weird to go alone at all, and neither is it weird to go and do an exercise specifically geared at both burning calories and bettering your heart health - this is what gyms are for!

I find that there's a mutual respect amongst all gym-goers, tbh - regardless of what exercises or moves they're doing, we're all there to better our health in one way or another.

Best of luck, and don't worry.
hi2u_uk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i always go alone as id get distracted chatting if i took someone i knew and if i take someone i know there is no guarantee that they would want to do what if want to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (156)
17.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (524)
59.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.38%

Watched Threads