frankelly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
ive just started year 12 and ive been given hw already. im stuck on some questions and ive got no one to ask for help.

the first question is "describe two examples of behaviour that may be classed as 'abnormal' in America and the UK but 'normal' in other cultures?" (2 marks)

the next question is "the DSM 5 task force that decided on which disorders should be included in the revised version were mainly based at American universities. why is this a problem?"
I thought it might be because it doesn't have other cultures opinion included but I'm not sure.

the last question is "researchers analysed the behaviour of over 4000 pairs of twins. the results showed that the degree to which obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is inherited is between 45% and 65%. with reference to this study, what do the results seem to show about possible influences on the development of OCD? think about biological and environmental factors in your answer (4 marks)."
im really stuck on all of them and it is my first piece of homework so I want to do well, thanks for any help.
Eulogy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You'd get better answers here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=211
Richard0328
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the first one seems to be a straightforward cultural difference so think of a country and its cultural differences between them and us. Arranged marriages for example.
the second one is similar ie the DSM5 may include certain behaviours that we think is abnormal but it may be normal behaviour for some tribe in the Himalayas. Note that the DSM5 is not used globally!
the twin studies would need details such as if they are brought up together or separately. If they are brought up separately and both have OCD then it points towards biological (nature) factors rather than environmental (nurture) factors
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (29)
14.87%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (53)
27.18%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (36)
18.46%

Watched Threads