The Student Room Group

Will I get into medicine? How can I improve?

I am studying A levels in Chemistry, Biology and Maths. My predicted grades are AAA. At AS I have achieved BBC. (B in maths including A's in C1 and C2, B in chemistry, and a C in biology). I have been a student rep of science, worked as a voluntary teaching assistant for 3 weeks, and at a charity shop for 4 weeks. I have been looking for work experience for some time and was told by my local care home manager that I could be offered a place in a few weeks. Does this sound good enough for Medicine?

P.S I will probably be applying via the access programme ( a programme that enables students from certain backgrounds to gain access into the course), and my 1st choice of uni is the university of leeds. In addition, do you guys think its okay to add personal experience, e.g seeing a close family member suffer from an illness(stroke). I would really appreciate any ideas in regards to how i could add this into my statement.

My Gcse's are 3 A*S, 6 As, 1 B.

What do you guys think, will I get into medicine + any tips??

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know lots of people who have got into medicine with your GCSE grades but your UKCAT/BMAT will be a huge factor so it is really hard to make a call until you have taken that.
Reply 2
Hey, thanks for your reply... I will be taking the BMAT in november, however, I am concerned about my work experience. Do you think it is enough?

Original post by mb2016
I know lots of people who have got into medicine with your GCSE grades but your UKCAT/BMAT will be a huge factor so it is really hard to make a call until you have taken that.
Reply 3
Original post by Bella65
Hey, thanks for your reply... I will be taking the BMAT in november, however, I am concerned about my work experience. Do you think it is enough?

Try not to worry too much about work experience because they understand that it is difficult to get. Try and do the care home placement and you will have more than enough, its more about what you learn from it than how much you have done.
Reply 4
You're right...I should focus on my care home placement (which i will enquire about again tomorrow), instead of worrying, and thanks for your reply- it really helps.

Original post by mb2016
Try not to worry too much about work experience because they understand that it is difficult to get. Try and do the care home placement and you will have more than enough, its more about what you learn from it than how much you have done.
Reply 5
You're right...I should focus on my care home placement (which i will enquire about again tomorrow), instead of worrying, and thanks for your reply- it really helps. Btw, if you don't mind me asking are you planning on doing medicine too? or a healthcare career?

Original post by mb2016
Reply 6
Original post by Bella65
You're right...I should focus on my care home placement (which i will enquire about again tomorrow), instead of worrying, and thanks for your reply- it really helps. Btw, if you don't mind me asking are you planning on doing medicine too? or a healthcare career?

I am starting at Newcastle University in 3 weeks and I am studying medicine. If you have any questions about applying I'll happily answer them since the whole application procedure is really fresh for me :smile:
Reply 7
@mb2016
Wow, that's great! Good luck with your course :smile:. And yes I'd really really appreciate that :smile: ... I already have a few to ask ... Do you advise adding personal care experience i.e seeing close family members suffer from illnesses, and also taking care of them... do you think it is of credit? Also what are your top tips for the mmi, personal statement and bmat if you took it. Also, which websites or news journals are good do you think for keeping upto date with medical issues? Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mb2016

It depends on the uni as some unis make a great emphasis on volunteering and some unis allow it to compensate for lower gcse results as in a's and b's (not c's)
Reply 9
Original post by mb2016
I am starting at Newcastle University in 3 weeks and I am studying medicine. If you have any questions about applying I'll happily answer them since the whole application procedure is really fresh for me :smile:

I would really like to apply to newcastle medical school but I am worried about the UKCAT cut off. may I ask what your average was and how you were able to achieve it?

Also how much work-experience have you done (what type and how long) ?

thank you
Reply 10
Hey, thanks for your reply....but which unis do that? Is Leeds on of them?

Original post by msproject
It depends on the uni as some unis make a great emphasis on volunteering and some unis allow it to compensate for lower gcse results as in a's and b's (not c's)
Original post by Bella65
Hey, thanks for your reply....but which unis do that? Is Leeds on of them?

It's variable I know that good a levels and work experience can compensate for ok gcses in cardiff.
Reply 12
Okay, thanks for your help.
It's variable I know that good a levels and work experience can compensate for ok gcses in cardiff.
Original post by Bella65
Okay, thanks for your help.

Interview is the worst part of applying they ask you about achievements.
Reply 14
Right, what sort of achievements...and are you saying this from personal experience?

Interview is the worst part of applying they ask you about achievements.
Original post by Bella65
Right, what sort of achievements...and are you saying this from personal experience?

They will attempt to see what kind of person you really are they want to know what you've done and the reasons you chose this course you really have to show them you're the person they want and I gained this information from my brother. Anything you did good in such as "I achieved full ums in my as chemistry paper or I had a gold award in duke of Edinburgh or I have a certificate for volunteering etc.
Reply 16
Omg, i don't have any of those. However, do you think getting 9 A*/As at GCSE's after being in the country for only 7 years and learning the language from scratch is good enough. Also I was one of the top students at my school and currently at my sixth form too.

Also do you advise that I write this info in my personal statement too? As it does show my perseverance and commitment, as well as academic capability... however, i am not sure.

They will attempt to see what kind of person you really are they want to know what you've done and the reasons you chose this course you really have to show them you're the person they want and I gained this information from my brother. Anything you did good in such as "I achieved full ums in my as chemistry paper or I had a gold award in duke of Edinburgh or I have a certificate for volunteering etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bella65
Omg, i don't have any of those. However, do you think getting 9 A*/As at GCSE's after being in the country for only 7 years and learning the language from scratch is good enough. Also I was one of the top students at my school and currently at my sixth form too.

It's best to use everything you have.
Reply 18
Do you think I should add this in my personal statement?
It's best to use everything you have.
Original post by Bella65
Do you think I should add this in my personal statement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcLwTjsDGwU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMyD6c9Z3z8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending