The Student Room Group

medical schools with low UKCAT requirement

Hi, I am going to have UKCAT on 30 September, but I do not feel confident about my score. I will be taking BMAT as well. I was studying CIE AS courses and I got A(94) in AS Biology, A(92) in AS Chemistry, and A(87) in AS math. So I would like to choose medical schools that does not weigh UKCAT score very much, can anyone give some good recommendations please?
Original post by christineq
Hi, I am going to have UKCAT on 30 September, but I do not feel confident about my score. I will be taking BMAT as well. I was studying CIE AS courses and I got A(94) in AS Biology, A(92) in AS Chemistry, and A(87) in AS math. So I would like to choose medical schools that does not weigh UKCAT score very much, can anyone give some good recommendations please?

GCSEs buddy?
Reply 2
Original post by Big Papa
GCSEs buddy?

I didn't take GCSEs because i was studying in Canada before
Reply 3
GCSEs buddy?

I only have AS grades, is that okay?
I didn't take GCSEs because i was studying in Canada before

Ouch - Well let's just assume your GCSE equivalents are pretty good, I'd say as long as your UKCAT isn't extremely low go for places like Birmingham or Leicester and Liverpool. Stay well away from places like Kings, Newcastle and Manchester as UKCAT means a lot to them dudes.
Reply 5
i may put birmingham and liverpool down, but I also look up about Cardiff. What would you say about Cardiff ?
Reply 6
Ouch - Well let's just assume your GCSE equivalents are pretty good, I'd say as long as your UKCAT isn't extremely low go for places like Birmingham or Leicester and Liverpool. Stay well away from places like Kings, Newcastle and Manchester as UKCAT means a lot to them dudes.

i may put birmingham and liverpool down, but I also look up about Cardiff. What would you say about Cardiff ?

I'll be back in 5 minutes, let me just do a little research on Cardiff for you seen as though I never looked at them when applying.

Okay so from what I read, they barely use the UKCAT. As long as your Canadian equivalents are good, you should be fine.
Check out this post:
masumahjannah.wordpress.com/low-ukcat-score

Should help you out. Good luck!
Reply 10
Okay so from what I read, they barely use the UKCAT. As long as your Canadian equivalents are good, you should be fine.

Thank you so much. I appreciate.
Reply 11
Original post by medblog
Check out this post:
masumahjannah.wordpress.com/low-ukcat-score

Should help you out. Good luck!

Thanks, I will check that out.
Reply 12

Hi, I also did some research about BSMS because i am going to take BMAT as well. But the issue is that i looked at their website and they do not use BMAT as a criteria when assessing international applicants, So I am not sure whether taking BMAT make me more competitive or not ? Is BSMS internationally friendly?
Reply 13

Hi,I got my UKCAT result of 2870 with band 2 STJ. I am thinking of Cardiff, Queen Belfast and Glasgow. Any good advice for me according my grades please? I am thinking of BSMS as well but the stats show it only offer 11 places for international applicants.
Reply 14
Hi,I got my UKCAT result of 2870 with band 2 STJ. I am thinking of Cardiff, Queen Belfast and Glasgow. Any good advice for me according my grades please? I am thinking of BSMS as well but the stats show it only offer 11 places for international applicants.

It might be slightly different for international applicants as competition is higher, but your UKCAT is good enough for places such as Manchester (although after you pass that, you have to fill out a non-academic form, so if you feels your statement is good, you could apply there). Your UKCAT is probs good enough for Southampton as well, but once again check because you're an international. But it's difficult to say without knowing (and understanding lol) your GCSE equivalents. You should probably go on university websites and see if it says there how they would use your GCSE equivalents. If you're predicted 3 A*s, Exeter is also a good option. St. George's interview everyone who meet their UKCAT and GCSE cut-off, the UKCAT cut-off is around 650 and 8 A grades for GCSE.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by mosam00
It might be slightly different for international applicants as competition is higher, but your UKCAT is good enough for places such as Manchester (although after you pass that, you have to fill out a non-academic form, so if you feels your statement is good, you could apply there). Your UKCAT is probs good enough for Southampton as well, but once again check because you're an international. But it's difficult to say without knowing (and understanding lol) your GCSE equivalents. You should probably go on university websites and see if it says there how they would use your GCSE equivalents. If you're predicted 3 A*s, Exeter is also a good option. St. George's interview everyone who meet their UKCAT and GCSE cut-off, the UKCAT cut-off is around 650 and 8 A grades for GCSE.

Thank you for your thorough explanation. That was very helpful!
Hi, I also did some research about BSMS because i am going to take BMAT as well. But the issue is that i looked at their website and they do not use BMAT as a criteria when assessing international applicants, So I am not sure whether taking BMAT make me more competitive or not ? Is BSMS internationally

If you are taking the BMAT and have already taken the UKCAT, probably you will be at an advantage at KEELE, as they want international applicants to take both tests. Since you already have a decent UKCAT score, and assuming you get an average BMAT score will place you at an advantage. Remember that applicants taking the BMAT are predominantly those who have either lower UKCAT or those who want to go to Oxbridge/ Imperial/ UCL. So, you may be quite competitive for Keele, as you already have a good UKCAT... I am assuming that you have some extracurricular and work experience as well.

BSMS will not give you any advantage if you take BMAT as an International.
Reply 17
[QUOTE="mkshyderabad;74023110"]
Hi, I also did some research about BSMS because i am going to take BMAT as well. But the issue is that i looked at their website and they do not use BMAT as a criteria when assessing international applicants, So I am not sure whether taking BMAT make me more competitive or not ? Is BSMS internationally

If you are taking the BMAT and have already taken the UKCAT, probably you will be at an advantage at KEELE, as they want international applicants to take both tests. Since you already have a decent UKCAT score, and assuming you get an average BMAT score will place you at an advantage. Remember that applicants taking the BMAT are predominantly those who have either lower UKCAT or those who want to go to Oxbridge/ Imperial/ UCL. So, you may be quite competitive for Keele, as you already have a good UKCAT... I am assuming that you have some extracurricular and work experience as well.

BSMS will not give you any advantage if you take BMAT as an International.

That's very considerate. I appreciate ! I am now thinking of Cardiff, Leicester and Queen belfast. I think it may be more promising and safer for me to pick UKCAT schools.

Latest

Trending

Trending