Do any of you students have a firm religious standpoint?

Watch
username3494166
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I used to be a devout Roman-Catholic. With the way life has treated me and seeing the terrible things that take place in the world, I choose to remain non-denominational and am not spiritual by any means.
My relatives believe my generation (young adults) tend to lack a background of faith. I guess it depends on the person. For most of you all, what is your standpoint? Can you relate with me at all?
spidle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm an atheist partly because of what you mentioned, seeing the terrible things in the world, and because of lack of evidence. Why should you need to put your faith in anything?
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aside from the obvious reasons re evidence I'm an atheist due partly due to my own cynicism.

When someone's praying/chanting/sacrificing a goat there's two possible scenarios:

No 1: Whom or whatever they're worshiping isn't real and it's a waste of time.

No 2: Their deity is real and they're worshiping the c unt responsible for war, famine, disease etc so it's still a waste of time.
yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In general the richer a nation is, the more educated a nation is, the less religious it will be.

Religion and God are a safety net, something to cling on to in bad times. Hence this trend.

Another big reason is that God explains "why am I here" and similar questions. Gives people purpose in life, hope, answers.

Personally I don't have a problem with not knowing how we came to be in the universe or what "my purpose" is. Why do we have to have one? We are not special, we don't have a "purpose", it's arrogant to think otherwise imo.
MushiRock11
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In all honesty, I prefer to consider myself an atheist who just happens to be born under a Muslim family. It's not like I have anything against Islam or anything of the sort, but it's just that partly the reasons you mentioned brings doubts to my mind and because of my cynicism in particular.
Hence, I can relate to you quite significantly and I'm glad to encounter one who shares the same thought as I.
Max&Mindset
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by yudothis)
In general the richer a nation is, the more educated a nation is, the less religious it will be.

Religion and God are a safety net, something to cling on to in bad times. Hence this trend.

Another big reason is that God explains "why am I here" and similar questions. Gives people purpose in life, hope, answers.

Personally I don't have a problem with not knowing how we came to be in the universe or what "my purpose" is. Why do we have to have one? We are not special, we don't have a "purpose", it's arrogant to think otherwise imo.
I agree, some very good points you make, I will not ever hinder or provoke the stopping of a religion unless it is being used as a weapon to justify the murdering of innocent people because your "god" is telling you it is ok.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (11)
18.03%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (14)
22.95%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (4)
6.56%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (8)
13.11%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
6.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (18)
29.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
3.28%

Watched Threads