The Student Room Group

How often do you go to the gym?

(Some early dissertation based research!:biggrin:) I've mixed some quantative and qualitative based Q's but feel free to only answer the quantitative!
Note: I'm aware theres a lot of question - numbers 1-4 are the only really important ones if your stuck for time

How many days a week do you go to the gym?

How long do you spend in the gym on average?

Whats your cardio:weight training ratio? (how many hours do you spend doing cardio in comparison to weight training)

Why do you go to the gym? (To lose weight / gain weight / feel good?)

Do you go to the gym as part of a group (e.g. with friends or in a class) or alone?

Diet: Do you take any supplements?

Diet: Do you track your calories?

Diet: Is your goal to maintain a calorific deficit, surplus or maintanance? Are you aware of how to effectively calculate this?

Thank you!!
1. 5 days roughly
2. 1.5-3 hours
3. 1 hr cardio / 1-2 hours weights: (1:2)
4. A mixture to be honest!
5. alone 99% of the time
6. protein in my oats
7. yes, a bit obsessively tbh:colondollar: I get around 1,300-1500 a day (ish)
8. Maintance, aim to lose fat/build muscule which is v difficult. I know how to calculate it although i know its not fully reliable!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
(Some early dissertation based research!:biggrin:) I've mixed some quantative and qualitative based Q's but feel free to only answer the quantitative!
Note: I'm aware theres a lot of question - numbers 1-4 are the only really important ones if your stuck for time

How many days a week do you go to the gym?

How long do you spend in the gym on average?

Whats your cardio:weight training ratio? (how many hours do you spend doing cardio in comparison to weight training)

Why do you go to the gym? (To lose weight / gain weight / feel good?)

Do you go to the gym as part of a group (e.g. with friends or in a class) or alone?

Diet: Do you take any supplements?

Diet: Do you track your calories?

Diet: Is your goal to maintain a calorific deficit, surplus or maintanance? Are you aware of how to effectively calculate this?

Thank you!!

1. I use the gym facilities at work, if you'd like to count that. In which case, about 3 times a week on average.
2. 30-60 minutes.
3. I'm not sure how to answer that. I tend to do HIIT with close to my maximum capacity for strength. So I suppose 50:50?
4. Feel good, keep in shape, I'm asthmatic so a better inner system helps a lot, fitness for dance sessions I occasionally go to.
5. Alone.
6. Protein, rarely creatine.
7. Absolutely not. I pretty much eat whatever the hell I want. I'm not about to enjoy the latest episode of Game of Thrones over a leaf of kale. Chinese takeaway please!
8. Surplus I suppose. I'd like to gain a few kg on myself, but I'm pretty easy as long as I don't regress too much.
Reply 3
- five days a week
- usually an hour to an hour and a half
- don't do cardio except 5 mins to warm up
- currently trying to lose weight but eventually want to build muscle and it's good for my mental health
- I go alone 9/10 times
- I take protein but not every time I go, it depends how much protein I'll be eating that day. I used to take BCAAs but haven't been using them as much recently
- I don't track in the sense that I use my fitness pal or anything but I'm definitely aware of the general amount that I'm consuming and do tend to check the packaging on things
- depends what my goals are, if I'm trying to lose weight (currently am) I want a calorie deficit but once I've lost a bit I will try maintain or have a slight surplus so I can gain more muscle. Yes I know how to calculate it.
1) I go to the gym about 4-5 days a week. On the days I don't go, I either go for a run or cycle.
2) 1 and 1/2 - 2 and 1/2 hours
3) Probably 60% cardio, 40% weights (I am mostly a runner but due to injury etc. I have started doing more weights)
4) To de-stress mostly
5) I always go alone, you can get a better workout that way
6) I have protein shakes every day. This is mostly because I'm a vegetarian so I don't often get enough protein from my diet alone. Also I like the taste of protein shakes.
7) I don't track calories but I have a vague idea of how much I eat a day (~3000 calories)
8) I am fully aware of how to calculate deficit / surplus / maintenance. Currently I think I am eating at a slight surplus as I'm trying to build some muscle.
Go 5-6 times/ week (as much as I can fit in really).
2hr 4 min average.
Almost 100% weights. Bit of HIIT recently though.
Go to be muscular and leaner. Mainly to look good but in part to stay healthy.
Go with one other person in general, sometimes two others.
I take whey protein, BCAA's and pre workout.
I tend not to track my calories- hard to maintain consistency- but have a general idea of how many cals.
At the moment a calorie deficit and high protein diet. At other times a calorie surplus. Not sure how to 'effectively' calculate this other than tracking in Myfitnesspal but it's hard to know my exact maintenance cals.
Reply 6
Original post by tedtheshred
Go 5-6 times/ week (as much as I can fit in really).
2hr 4 min average.
Almost 100% weights. Bit of HIIT recently though.
Go to be muscular and leaner. Mainly to look good but in part to stay healthy.
Go with one other person in general, sometimes two others.
I take whey protein, BCAA's and pre workout.
I tend not to track my calories- hard to maintain consistency- but have a general idea of how many cals.
At the moment a calorie deficit and high protein diet. At other times a calorie surplus. Not sure how to 'effectively' calculate this other than tracking in Myfitnesspal but it's hard to know my exact maintenance cals.

Effectively calculating would be calculating your basal metabolic rate (BMRh following one of many popular scientific calculations, then adjusting the calculation according to your activity level and type. This then provides a rough amount of calories a day - thus enabling you to calculate your surplus/deficit/maintain. It sounds like you can do it! Thanks for the answers!
I don't go to the gym but I exercise at home. I want to practice 5 days in week because I think that it's good for my body and my frame of mind. Thanks the exercises I feel full of positive energy, healthy and so proud of myself that I can organise my time and find though 30 minutes at day for my health.
Gym?! ewwww
I never go to the gym
Exercise? ewwww
I never exercise
1) 3 days
2) 45-50 minutes
3) 3:1 weights:cardio
4) To build muscle, and maintain muscle while I'm cutting to lose fat
5) Mostly just one friend, but sometimes with two
6) Whey protein and egg protein powder, plus a few health supps
7) Yes I do
8) Bit of a vague question - nobody aims to maintain a caloric deficit or surplus forever - they'd do both at different times of the year. Either way, yes, very aware of what I need to do to gain, lose or maintain weight.
1) 3 Days a week
2) 45mins - 1 Hour
3) 20mins Jogging , 45 mins strength programme
4) Gain more muscle
5) Nope
6: Whey Protein , some creatine too
7) Nope
8: Maintain
1. 6 days
2. 90 minutes
3. Maybe 1:20, I barely do cardio at all
4. To reach my genetic limit down to the very last muscle fibre.
5. Sometimes with friends, sometimes alone.
6. Yes, creatine and the odd whey protein every now and then.
7. Not religiously but I usually keep a rough idea of how many calories I've consumed throughout the day.
8. Slight caloric surplus, yes I know how to calculate this.
1) Doing 2 days,1 day break, then repeat.
2) 1 to 2 hours.
4) To gain muscle.
5) Alone.
6) I have a protein shake after the gym, protein yogurts on my day off (they have 20g of protein per pot?!) Lmao.
7) Nope.
8) Nope.
Reply 13
1. Usually twice a week, although I walk 2-3 miles at least 6 times a week outside the gym so i'm not sure if that counts.
2. roughly one and a half to one hour 50 mins
3. cardio kills gains. zero cardio tbh
4. build muscle
5. by myself
6.no
7.yes
8. trying to get a calorie surplus to increase weight/muscle and yes i know how to calculate.

How many days a week do you go to the gym? 4 or 5

How long do you spend in the gym on average? Around 1.5

Whats your cardio:weight training ratio? (how many hours do you spend doing cardio in comparison to weight training) 1hr weight and abit of cardio maybe up to 30 mins

Why do you go to the gym? (To lose weight / gain weight / feel good?) gain weight skinny af

Do you go to the gym as part of a group (e.g. with friends or in a class) or alone? Own

Diet: Do you take any supplements? Mass gain/ weight gain

Diet: Do you track your calories. To some extent don't get bogged down specifics

Diet: Is your goal to maintain a calorific deficit, surplus or maintanance? Are you aware of how to effectively calculate this?Surplus used a online calorie calculator

Quick Reply

Latest