What university course should I do to become a planetary geologist?

Watch
PumpkinCastle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I'm unsure whether to take geology or astrophysics as I'm unsure which leads on better to becoming a planetary geologist. I would prefer taking geology but would still be happy taking astrophysics. However, I am unsure whether I could go into planetary science as a postgrad with a geology BSc.

Any advice??
kukulaka
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PumpkinCastle)
Hi,

I'm unsure whether to take geology or astrophysics as I'm unsure which leads on better to becoming a planetary geologist. I would prefer taking geology but would still be happy taking astrophysics. However, I am unsure whether I could go into planetary science as a postgrad with a geology BSc.

Any advice??
An Earth Science or geology degree would set you up quite well to become a planetary geologist. Most Earth science degree programs will have a planetary geology module or two and studying this way will mean you do not need to learn all that geology at a later date (and speaking from experience this is A LOT).
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Any advice??
Keele offer a joint honours course in Astrophysics and Geology. In addition you could probably work an acceptable combination out of Natural Science courses such as that offered by Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Any advice??
Something like this would, I imagine, be ideal: http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2018/unde...es/UUBSPSAS_C/
PumpkinCastle
Rep:
?
(Original post by kukulaka)
An Earth Science or geology degree would set you up quite well to become a planetary geologist. Most Earth science degree programs will have a planetary geology module or two and studying this way will mean you do not need to learn all that geology at a later date (and speaking from experience this is A LOT).
Okay, that sounds good
PumpkinCastle
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Keele offer a joint honours course in Astrophysics and Geology. In addition you could probably work an acceptable combination out of Natural Science courses such as that offered by Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll have a look at both Keele and Cambridge, thanks for the recommendation!
PumpkinCastle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
Something like this would, I imagine, be ideal: http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2018/unde...es/UUBSPSAS_C/
Okay, thanks for the link
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Any advice??
Geology or ideally geophysics would be best.
PumpkinCastle
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Geology or ideally geophysics would be best.
I'll have a look into Geophysics as I've never considered that before, thank you!
TecOutreach
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have a look at the Royal Astronomical Society for some ideas of what you could do. (I did Geology and Astrophysics and loved it)
furiousmushroom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could get there from both, but a geology degree would be much more relevant. Virtually anything you learn in such a course you could apply to other planets, whereas much of astronomy (galaxy formation, stellar evolution, cosmology, etc etc) would not be very useful. I'm sure you could transfer, but you'd have to acquire much more additional knowledge than the inverse.

That said, you might change your mind later, so I would take into account which subject you'd prefer overall. Does the 'planetery' or the 'geology' part appeal more to you? Don't make one specific career the only factor in your decision.
rosiesaurus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Any advice??
Heya, I'd say if you are more interested in geology then go for that! Although obviously your career after uni is a very important factor, its definitely important to pick a course you enjoy because you are more likely to do better

Might be worth taking a look at Manchester, they have a BSc/MSci Geology with Planetary Science degree! You still get the option to pick earth science modules, but you also have access to a lot of planetary style geology ones as well as some from physics. Another option could be to look at Natural Science degrees, depending on how much you enjoy other science streams. I had a look at UCL's MSc in Planetary Science, and they say you need a relevant discipline preferably one with physics content so if you do decide on geology, would probably be worth taking geophysics modules where possible I know someone now doing a PhD in martian meteorites but her background was in maths, then plan sci, and now geology/physics.

Just wanted to make sure you know, but I'd imagine the majority of planetary science jobs will be in research/academia which would require a PhD. There are very relevant skills you'd pick up so could go into a whole host of other geo related jobs, but if you're set on planetary geology be ready for the long haul :P
PumpkinCastle
Rep:
?
(Original post by rosiesaurus)
Heya, I'd say if you are more interested in geology then go for that! Although obviously your career after uni is a very important factor, its definitely important to pick a course you enjoy because you are more likely to do better

Might be worth taking a look at Manchester, they have a BSc/MSci Geology with Planetary Science degree! You still get the option to pick earth science modules, but you also have access to a lot of planetary style geology ones as well as some from physics. Another option could be to look at Natural Science degrees, depending on how much you enjoy other science streams. I had a look at UCL's MSc in Planetary Science, and they say you need a relevant discipline preferably one with physics content so if you do decide on geology, would probably be worth taking geophysics modules where possible I know someone now doing a PhD in martian meteorites but her background was in maths, then plan sci, and now geology/physics.

Just wanted to make sure you know, but I'd imagine the majority of planetary science jobs will be in research/academia which would require a PhD. There are very relevant skills you'd pick up so could go into a whole host of other geo related jobs, but if you're set on planetary geology be ready for the long haul :P
This was super helpful, thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads