The Student Room Group

Working holiday

Hi SFE,

I'm going away to Australia in a couple of weeks on a working holiday visa and will be there for the best part of a year. I have seen the overseas declaration form but it doesn't seem to have an option that fits my situation.

I don't have any employment lined up and won't be self employed so I can't declare any start/end dates or income details. I plan to find casual work (bar jobs, waitressing, etc.) so I will be employed (i.e. I won't be 'not in employment' for the whole duration of my trip), but it's very unlikley I'll go above the earnings threshold.

Do I still need to fill out the Overseas Income Assessment form and if so which option on the form should I choose? If I do need to fill out this form, can you tell me how to request a copy of this to be sent to me?

Thank you in advance,

Fiona
Hi Fiona,

You should complete the Overseas Income Assessment Form if you leave the UK for more than 3 months.

As you are not in employment yet you will be unable to provide any details about this. This means that you should complete the form with details of how you will be supporting yourself whilst you look for work.

There are three options that may apply to you, if you find that these still don't fit your scenario then please let us know and we can advise.

Savings: If you are living from savings whilst looking for work.

Bank statements covering the last three months. The bank statements must show your name and the funds you are living from. It must show that sufficient funds are available. If those funds are low then evidence of an available overdraft or alternative evidence of means of support will be required. There is no set limit, any decision is made based on outgoings on the statement and reasonable funds being available.

Support from a 3rd Party: If someone else is supporting you, you can provide the following:
If you are supported by a third party (for example, parent, guardian or partner) and money is transferred to you then:

have the third party sign the Declaration on the form and send evidence of the receipt of the funds i.e. bank statement(s)

However in many cases money won't be involved in the support provided. If this is the case then:

have the third party sign the Declaration on the form

No evidence is required from the 3rd Party other than signing the declaration.

Travelling: If the Savings/3rd Party options are unsuitable then the following may help.

Copies of their bank statements covering the last three months which must show the customer's name and the funds they are living from. (If there are no available funds the customer must still send bank statements along with their travel itinerary).

The customer may be required to provide a valid visa, depending on their country of residence.

Customers using casual employment to support themselves while travelling can provide copies of payslips with a cover note explaining their situation, along with copies of bank statements covering the last three months.

Thanks,

Gerard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending