The Student Room Group

BSc Geography or MA Geography @ Uni

I want to study Geography at university, however I am unsure which one to study as both courses are 4yrs long?
Original post by anewton22
I want to study Geography at university, however I am unsure which one to study as both courses are 4yrs long?

Is this at one of the four ancient Scottish universities? If so, the Geography content will not differ.

MA and BSc will refer to the type of subjects you will study alongside Geography in your first and second years. It will depend on what college you are admitted to which will dictate your degree title.

MA = Master of Arts
MA (Socsci) = Master of Arts (Social Science)
BSc = Bachelors of Science

MA students will study arts subjects, MA (Socsci) will study social science subjects, and BSc students will study science subjects alongside Geography.
Reply 2
Original post by Cubone-r
Is this at one of the four ancient Scottish universities? If so, the Geography content will not differ.

MA and BSc will refer to the type of subjects you will study alongside Geography in your first and second years. It will depend on what college you are admitted to which will dictate your degree title.

MA = Master of Arts
MA (Socsci) = Master of Arts (Social Science)
BSc = Bachelors of Science

MA students will study arts subjects, MA (Socsci) will study social science subjects, and BSc students will study science subjects alongside Geography.

Hahaha yeah it is one of the ancient Scottish Unis. I am interested in the BSc but do you know if this is the same merit as the MA, like are they worth the same?
Original post by anewton22
Hahaha yeah it is one of the ancient Scottish Unis. I am interested in the BSc but do you know if this is the same merit as the MA, like are they worth the same?

Yes, they are of the exact same merit. They are both the same level of qualification. The only difference will be your degree title.

I graduated with an M.A. (Hons) in psychology and it hasn't stopped me from gaining a master's place in the faculty of science at another university.

It's just an ancient tradition for the four ancient Scottish universities to run their degrees in this way.
Reply 4
Original post by Cubone-r
Yes, they are of the exact same merit. They are both the same level of qualification. The only difference will be your degree title.

I graduated with an M.A. (Hons) in psychology and it hasn't stopped me from gaining a master's place in the faculty of science at another university.

It's just an ancient tradition for the four ancient Scottish universities to run their degrees in this way.

Thank you for your help, I'm doing my UCAS application now so wanted to apply for the right course for me. I reckon I'll go for the BSc.
Why did you post this in News & Current Affairs?
Reply 6
Original post by Wilfred Little
Why did you post this in News & Current Affairs?

No idea actually, didn't notice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending