What actually happens in freshers' week? Watch

flabi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
All I know is that there are lots of parties and most people have a little too much alcohol, but what happens during the day? And what kind of parties are they? Do people stay on campus the whole week or go out to the local city?
Khanthebrit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Booze and Sex....
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by flabi)
All I know is that there are lots of parties and most people have a little too much alcohol, but what happens during the day? And what kind of parties are they? Do people stay on campus the whole week or go out to the local city?
Depends on the university.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by flabi)
In my experience people did a bit of both.

There will be freshers events during the day for you to attend - mostly set up by the different societies, then at night the unions put on their student nights, etc. However, some people do venture out and go to the nightclubs/bars in the city centre.

Just do whatever you're interested in, but be sure to make the most of it - you only get one "true" fresher's week.
flabi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Cubone-r)
In my experience people did a bit of both.

There will be freshers events during the day for you to attend - mostly set up by the different societies, then at night the unions put on their student nights, etc. However, some people do venture out and go to the nightclubs/bars in the city centre.

Just do whatever you're interested in, but be sure to make the most of it - you only get one "true" fresher's week.
Thank you, I'm only going into year 13 so this is next year, but I was curious and couldn't find anything on the topic.

Are there any day activities required by the university, or is it all just settling into the social side of things?
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by flabi)
Thank you, I'm only going into year 13 so this is next year, but I was curious and couldn't find anything on the topic.

Are there any day activities required by the university, or is it all just settling into the social side of things?
You may have an induction lecture for your degree which will tell you about your course and how to use the library, etc, but that will be about it - you are let loose after that and you can just do what you want.
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You spend a lot of money.
Someboady
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well we have lectures on our freshers week and a test too!
So not an awful lot of partying for me it seems!
gradmed305
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You get scouted out and preyed upon by the PhD students.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by flabi)
Some people also get laid
nicholasflee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
First day will be weird, meeting new people but I assume it gets much better
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You will hang around with certain people, then in 2 months time when social groups are established you will look back and wander what on earth were you doing!

The sex and alcohol stuff is generally over-played. That is more prevalent in the weeks afterwards when people are feeling more safe and confident.
mrsuperguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was talking to my aunt and cousin who's about to start her masters. That side of the family also has a couple other graduates as well as other friends. We were talking about uni and freshers and I said that I don't drink loads at the moment and couldn't see myself getting **** faced every night and her response was basically "ha ha! famous last words". I'm just wondering what the collective experience is of everyone here, and that's largely true or not. By the way to clarify, I do drink on rare occasions and i got kinda tipsy on prom after a few vodka cokes & a hip flask of southern comfort and I do plan on being more of a drinker come freshers just because there's easier access what with union bars and the like so it's not like i'm, or plan on being teetotal.
AlesanaWill
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In the day we had a few introductory course lectures - mostly really boring admin stuff. You'll probably also be told about how the course works in terms of optional modules, your tutor, etc. This was a few hours a day for my course (physics) but it varies between unis and courses. The evenings were devoted to freshers events like nights out partying, or alternatives like games nights. You also had the freshers fair which went on for 3 days at my uni, where you could go round all the society stalls.
Rigmarole
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm going to spend freshers in the library scanning essential reading material before it all gets booked out. Wild, I know!
HucktheForde
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Khanthebrit)
Booze and Sex....
i got the booze but never got the sex.

oh god why
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A lot of people have welcome meetings, how-to lectures, meetings with your designated advisor etc. For example of the first monday I have a welcome event at 8am which is department wide, on the Tuesday I have a "school" specific welcome event at 10am, a what to expect type of thing at 1600 and an SU how to study thing at 1800. Then I have one actual course lecture on the Thursday at 1100 and on the Friday I have a meeting with my advisor.
lemxn
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mrsuperguy)
I was talking to my aunt and cousin who's about to start her masters. That side of the family also has a couple other graduates as well as other friends. We were talking about uni and freshers and I said that I don't drink loads at the moment and couldn't see myself getting **** faced every night and her response was basically "ha ha! famous last words". I'm just wondering what the collective experience is of everyone here, and that's largely true or not. By the way to clarify, I do drink on rare occasions and i got kinda tipsy on prom after a few vodka cokes & a hip flask of southern comfort and I do plan on being more of a drinker come freshers just because there's easier access what with union bars and the like so it's not like i'm, or plan on being teetotal.
I didn't drink at all before uni but now when I am at uni I go out once or twice a week and get pissed. Haven't had any alcohol to drink since end of May but I'm not craving alcohol at all, more the fun and social life it brings :P

Loads of people wouldn't have had much to drink when you start and it will be a laugh when you meet all your new friends and get drunk together for the first time!

Have fun!
mrsuperguy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lemxn)
I didn't drink at all before uni but now when I am at uni I go out once or twice a week and get pissed. Haven't had any alcohol to drink since end of May but I'm not craving alcohol at all, more the fun and social life it brings :P

Loads of people wouldn't have had much to drink when you start and it will be a laugh when you meet all your new friends and get drunk together for the first time!

Have fun!
huh, ok then. in my year at school, i was one of the few people who'd never been drunk before so I always thought that most freshers would be drinkers. Do you think there's been a significant change since you were in 6th form or something or when you said loads of people, did you just not mean the vast majority.
Also thanks, I will have fun
lemxn
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mrsuperguy)
huh, ok then. in my year at school, i was one of the few people who'd never been drunk before so I always thought that most freshers would be drinkers. Do you think there's been a significant change since you were in 6th form or something or when you said loads of people, did you just not mean the vast majority.
Also thanks, I will have fun
A HUGE CHANGE!! I barely had a social life at sixth form and do at uni! Many people who have drunk before uni probably haven't to the extent they will at uni (e.g. clubbing as opposed to sitting in a park lol) as many would have only just turned 18
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?