The Student Room Group

UKCAT 2018 completely hopeless? HELP

Hi is my UKCAT score completely hopeless? VR:600 QR:710 DM:640 AR:610 SJT Band 2. Total 2560 average 640. I'm so disappointed. I am also taking BMAT and applying to 2 BMAT schools (and I already am determined to crack it) I know that I now should avoid UKCAT-heavy schools, do you guys have any idea where to apply? I don't think the new entry requirements state how much they care about the UKCAT and the "how universities will use UKCAT" thing doesn't actually say anything concrete, it's just vague. Other information: IB predicted 43/45 with 7,7,6 at bio chem and math HL. A lot of volunteering in both hospital and care home and work experience. Volleyball player
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi!

Firstly, try not to stress out too much, there are tons of universities you can still apply for and have a really decent shot at. I know someone who got the same UKCAT score as you and is now about to start at Edinburgh studying medicine! I applied to medicine this past year so I know quite a lot about the process.

Unis to avoid:
Newcastle, St Andrews, Southampton, Kings College London

Unis to consider:
Liverpool (needed 625 in 2016 to be considered competitive), Queen Mary London (low UKCAT can be made up for by high predictions), UEA, Aberdeen, Cardiff (does not look at UKCAT), Birmingham (only 30%), Exeter (UKCAT used to differentiate at the cut off point after A-level/IB predictions have been ranked), Keele (UKCAT cutoff is often very low)

Remember that you can also apply to BMAT universities as they will not look at your UKCAT at all. I would advise you to first have a look at where you actually want to go to uni and then eliminate from there if you don't think you have a good shot at getting an interview. Most unis have a pretty detailed explanation of their selection procedure on the website.

Hope this is helpful!
Reply 2
Original post by mb2016
Hi!

Firstly, try not to stress out too much, there are tons of universities you can still apply for and have a really decent shot at. I know someone who got the same UKCAT score as you and is now about to start at Edinburgh studying medicine! I applied to medicine this past year so I know quite a lot about the process.

Unis to avoid:
Newcastle, St Andrews, Southampton, Kings College London

Unis to consider:
Liverpool (needed 625 in 2016 to be considered competitive), Queen Mary London (low UKCAT can be made up for by high predictions), UEA, Aberdeen, Cardiff (does not look at UKCAT), Birmingham (only 30%), Exeter (UKCAT used to differentiate at the cut off point after A-level/IB predictions have been ranked), Keele (UKCAT cutoff is often very low)

Remember that you can also apply to BMAT universities as they will not look at your UKCAT at all. I would advise you to first have a look at where you actually want to go to uni and then eliminate from there if you don't think you have a good shot at getting an interview. Most unis have a pretty detailed explanation of their selection procedure on the website.

Hope this is helpful!

Hi! Thank you so much for your reply, it was really helpful. Do you mind me asking where you applied and if you received interviews/offers? Thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending