The Student Room Group

Bio-Veterinary science...

Does anyone know much about these courses/do this themselves?

Im keen to know more about what this course is about and what it leads to.

Cheers Guys
x
Grace

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes Im studying BSc(Hons) Bioveterinary Science at Hartpury college, you don't qualify as anything when you graduate, e.g. you can't work as a vet but you can go into most animal science related careers, and not just in labs. The course is really good, this year I'm taking modules in Veterinary Science, Companion Animal Management, Animal Behaviour, Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology and Nutrition. Its very hands on, you learn about animal husbandry and diseases throughout the course and no doubt there will be plenty of chances for work experience; at Hartpury college I work at the stud farm and equine vet clinic. With my degree Im hoping to get into vet school. You can also choose what modules you do so you can go for the more practically-based ones depending on what you want as a career.
Reply 2
Shockley
Yes Im studying BSc(Hons) Bioveterinary Science at Hartpury college, you don't qualify as anything when you graduate, e.g. you can't work as a vet but you can go into most animal science related careers, and not just in labs. The course is really good, this year I'm taking modules in Veterinary Science, Companion Animal Management, Animal Behaviour, Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology and Nutrition. Its very hands on, you learn about animal husbandry and diseases throughout the course and no doubt there will be plenty of chances for work experience; at Hartpury college I work at the stud farm and equine vet clinic. With my degree Im hoping to get into vet school. You can also choose what modules you do so you can go for the more practically-based ones depending on what you want as a career.

Thanks Shockley

How are you asessed? Is it challenging and varied work wise?

Also, do you have an example timetable?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Gracexxx
Reply 3
Gdawson
Thanks Shockley

How are you asessed? Is it challenging and varied work wise?

Also, do you have an example timetable?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Gracexxx

For each module we have a written assignment and an exam, each counting for 50%. It is varied, we have animal handling sessions as well as lectures, its very hands on. Next semester we're doing dissections.
Some of it is challenging, if you are new to it but I find the course really interesting and relevant to what I would see and learn in a veterinary practice, which makes it so much easier to understand. We did a clinical examination of a puppy the other week :biggrin: This semester we've covered three modules, and it went like this:

Monday 9am - 11am Veterinary Science,
5pm - 7pm Companion Animal Management

Tuesday 12:30 - 1:30pm Veterinary Science practical
3pm - 5pm Animal Behaviour
5pm - 7pm Companion Animal Management

Friday 11am - 1pm Animal Behaviour

Hope this helps, any more questions feel free to fire away :smile:
Reply 4
I have a offer from Hartpury College in bIOVeterinary science, to, but I am stiil waiting for any offers from veterinary medicine courses.
Reply 5
Can you tell me, more about Haptury College, where you live, do you work somewhere, and can you transfer onto veterinary medicine course?
Reply 6
dagak
Can you tell me, more about Haptury College, where you live, do you work somewhere, and can you transfer onto veterinary medicine course?

dagak, what are you expecting from the course?
Reply 7
dagak
Can you tell me, more about Hartpury College, where you live, do you work somewhere, and can you transfer onto veterinary medicine course?

No you can't transfer into Veterinary Medicine, its the same policy with every graduate applicant, you have to be in your final year to apply and graduate with a 2:1 degree.

There are halls on campus but they fill up very quickly so I live off site.
I don't have a job (yet) because I am so busy with work experience, study etc but you could probably get one at weekends.

Here is the website: www.hartpury.ac.uk
Reply 8
Shockley
No you can't transfer into Veterinary Medicine, its the same policy with every graduate applicant, you have to be in your final year to apply and graduate with a 2:1 degree.

There are halls on campus but they fill up very quickly so I live off site.
I don't have a job (yet) because I am so busy with work experience, study etc but you could probably get one at weekends.

Here is the website: www.hartpury.ac.uk

shockley,

do you know anything about bio-veterinary science at lincoln uni?
Reply 9
I'm not sure what the differences between the Hartpury and Lincoln courses are, except maybe Lincoln packs in loads more modules into the year, and they seem to more science-theory based.
Check the website out: http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/courses/dbs/undergraduate/biovet/index.asp
Reply 10
Shockley
I'm not sure what the differences between the Hartpury and Lincoln courses are, except maybe Lincoln packs in loads more modules into the year, and they seem to more science-theory based.
Check the website out: http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/courses/dbs/undergraduate/biovet/index.asp

hmm.

If I did want to progress onto studying vet med and sci, what would be the best thing to do?

a) bio vet
b) animal science
c) animal biology
Apply to Lincoln D390 if you qualify you do a year at lincoln and then go straight into Nottingham vet med
Reply 12
does this deffinatly work?
:s-smilie:
Reply 13
Just as an aside, we've got 3 bio vets from Liverpool in my year at Nottingham, and I think there may be more in the year above me. We've also got people who did things like biology, chemistry, animal science, agriculture, psychology even... you can do quite a few things then move on to do vet med.

Yes, if you do the Lincoln certificate you move into 1st yr at Nottingham.
Reply 14
Is that like an automatic move or do you have to re-apply?
Here is the info straight of the pdf:
The Certificate in Health Science provides a one-year, full-time grounding in
healthcare and science at The University of Lincoln. Provided that you attain
at least 60% on the Certificate course, you will then progress to your chosen
health-related course at The University of Nottingham.
A collaborative project between the Universities of Lincoln and Nottingham,
the Certificate successfully facilitates the entry of a diverse range of students
to health-related courses with competitive entry. These include:

Dietetics
Genetics
Medicine
Midwifery
Nursing
Pharmacy
Physiotherapy
Veterinary Medicine and Science

Who is it for?
The Certificate is for students with the ability to study health-related courses
with competitive entry, but whose circumstances might make such study difficult.
To be considered for admission to the Certificate, you must therefore be able to
show special circumstances as well as meet academic criteria.
What are the entry requirements?
Academic criteria
Applicants must achieve at least 200 points (or equivalent) on the UCAS tariff.
If your qualification is outside the tariff as are Access, Advanced GNVQ and the
‘old’ BTEC you may be asked to produce written work or sit a test to support
your application.
For progression to Midwifery, Nursing and Physiotherapy, you don’t need to have
studied a science subject at A level or equivalent but for the following subjects
you do:

Progression route A level or equivalent subjects* required
Dietetics, Genetics and Pharmacy - Chemistry and another science, preferably Biology

Medicine, Veterinary - Biology and Chemistry, both at grade C or above,
and another subject at C or above

*If you are doing Access or BTEC courses, you should choose as many
science-based units as possible.
All applicants must have achieved a C grade or above in GCSE Mathematics
and English. You must have also achieved a C grade or above in GCSE Biology
and Chemistry or Double Science.
Students wishing to progress to Medicine must take the UKCAT (Clinical Aptitude
Test) and a qualifying mark will be required. This test should be taken in the same
year as you wish to start the Certificate in Health Science. For more information,
see the UKCAT website www.ukcat.ac.uk or contact the UKCAT Administrator
on [email protected]
Special circumstances
These include:
being a first generation entrant to Higher Education, or in care
being eligible to receive the Education Maintenance Award or equivalent,
or (if over 18) being in receipt of a means-tested benefit
family, cultural or financial reasons for needing to study in Lincolnshire
or Nottinghamshire
attending a school or college without a tradition of high
academic achievement.
You must have at least two of these circumstances. Details are available from
the supplementary application form.

Hope that helps :biggrin:
Reply 16
Shockley

How do you find bioveterinary science at hartpury? Are the lectururs helpfull and good at teaching? I went to the open day and one didnt seem to know much about his students but I dont want just one person to give a bad impression if everyone else is good? Do you normally get taught in smaller groups or part of larger lectures?
And what sort of stuff have you done for the hands on bits?
Any help would be really apreciated, i cant decided whether to go there or not and need to decide by monday aghh!:eek:
Reply 17
Is the D390 course really popular?

What are the other requirements except grades? Can your parents of gone to university?

(sorry for ALL the questions) :wink:
Reply 18
mayah
How do you find bioveterinary science at hartpury? Are the lectururs helpfull and good at teaching? I went to the open day and one didnt seem to know much about his students but I dont want just one person to give a bad impression if everyone else is good? Do you normally get taught in smaller groups or part of larger lectures?
And what sort of stuff have you done for the hands on bits?
Any help would be really apreciated, i cant decided whether to go there or not and need to decide by monday aghh!:eek:

Ok well here are the pros and cons according to my own personal experience:

Pros : Very interesting, up-to-date course with a mixture of small-group lectures, practicals and seminars. There are 13 of us in the year, but we do share lectures with animal science/equine/welfare students so the number of people in lectures can differ from 13-60. Practical sessions are divided into small groups. It is also very easy to arrange work experience with the on-site equine vet, stud farm, animal care centre, farm etc. If you love animals, especially horses, Hartpury is definately the place to be.

Cons: Some of the lecturers just don't have time to help, and on a few occasions theres been formal complaints about the shoddy teaching. Also, because the campus is out in the countryside its a bit of a pain getting in and out everyday, especially if waiting for the next bus (to get in for a 9am lecture you need to get the 07:30am bus and hang around on campus for over an hour). If you live on-site you will pay about a tenner for a taxi back after a night out. You can of course live in Gloucester, where the rent is around £60 a week for a student flat, although ours got burgled last year and had druggies living in the back garden so I was put off living there again...

Obviously thats all from my own opinion. You might absolutely love it, but if you have offers elsewhere then definately give those consideration too.
If i were to transfer from bio-veterinary to veterinary medicine, will i still be able to claim money from governement or w/e, or do i have to pay fully?

Quick Reply

Latest