The Student Room Group

Average UKCAT, Average GCSE, where to apply?!

I have an average ukcat of 680. My sjt was Band 3. For GCSE I have 7A*s , 4A's and 2B's. I am unsure of where to apply. My predicted so far are 2A*s, 1A 1B. Initially I was thinking of Queen Mary's but I'm not so sure with the UKCAT I have. Is my score ok? Where do you think I should apply? I was thinking about doing the BMAT for UCL as well as I really liked it. My main concern is where to apply with my UKCAT scores...
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah!! Your UKCAT score is well above average, and if you take a look on the Medic Portal Website, it says Queen Mary don't have a very high UKCAT requirement, last year the lowest UKCAT score they interviewed was 585 or something. So yeah Queen Mary is a good choice.
Original post by Maha1999
Yeah!! Your UKCAT score is well above average, and if you take a look on the Medic Portal Website, it says Queen Mary don't have a very high UKCAT requirement, last year the lowest UKCAT score they interviewed was 585 or something. So yeah Queen Mary is a good choice.

Thank you so much! Ah, I feel so relieved. I was thinking about Exeter as well. Nottingham, I'm not sure because I don't know what they expect. Do you think I could apply to Birmingham? I know Bristol look at personal statement quite heavily and not much on UKCAT. I just feel as though they are so average...
Original post by julian11
Thank you so much! Ah, I feel so relieved. I was thinking about Exeter as well. Nottingham, I'm not sure because I don't know what they expect. Do you think I could apply to Birmingham? I know Bristol look at personal statement quite heavily and not much on UKCAT. I just feel as though they are so average...

Ahaha no problem! And Birmingham are very GCSE heavy and not so much UKCAT so your UKCAT is fine - They usually have a cut off of about 7/8 A*s but my cousin applied with 8A*s to Birmingham and got rejected because they told her they wanted 9A*s !! :/ Tbh, I think your GCSEs are very good as some people I know have had interviews from Bham with 6A*s so you can give it a try I guess! :smile:
I am really stuck myself because in my UKCAT i didnt do very well, I got 665 and SJT band 1, and in my GCSEs I got 1A* 7As and 2Bs and my A2 predictions are AAA :frown: Do you know where I could apply as well? I was thinking Liverpool and Queen Mary but I'm not sure about the other 2 choices? And what are you doing for your 5th back up option?
(edited 6 years ago)
Your SJT is amazing! Pick the uni's that look at it heavily. Your GCSE's are also good. Liverpool grade an A* and an A the same number of points -2. Keep Bristol at the back of your mind as they are heavy on personal statement - 70%. UEA (Norwich) Wait for the interim results, then you can see how you did compared to everyone else
Your SJT is amazing! Pick the uni's that look at it heavily. Your GCSE's are also good. Liverpool grade an A* and an A the same number of points -2. Keep Bristol at the back of your mind as they are heavy on personal statement - 70%. UEA (Norwich) Wait for the interim results, then you can see how you did compared to everyone else

Ahh okay thank you so much! :smile:
I am really stuck myself because in my UKCAT i didnt do very well, I got 660 and SJT band 1, and in my GCSEs I got 8As and 2Bs and my A2 predictions are AAA :frown: Do you know where I could apply as well? I was thinking Liverpool and Queen Mary but I'm not sure about the other 2 choices? And what are you doing for your 5th back up option?

You won't get into Barts with those stats. Liverpool yes depends on your PS.
Ahh okay thank you so much! :smile:

Where did you apply? Did you hear back from any of the uni's? Did you do the BMAT?

lol if he followed your advice to picking a uni that look at SJT heavily then that would suck.... He got band 3 not band 1 lol

Quick Reply

Latest