Rejected job application by Primark. Where else to apply?

Watch
Cherry-Cola
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have been looking for a weekend job during the month of summer holidays and I applied to loads of local places such as cafeterias and various clothing stores. Almost none of them seem to respond. I had 2 interviews but they contacted me afterwards saying that other applicants had more customer service experience and mine wasn't enough. I have worked in Boots over Christmas as a school's work experience in year 11 and I also have been working as a receptionist in a accounting firm every Monday during year 12. Before a few days I applied to Primark's weekend sales assistant role, as I heard that they accept people with little to no work experience but today I got an email saying that I've also been rejected from it. I just really want to get a weekend job but don't know where to start :/
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was also rejected from primark which made me feel like a dumb idiot at first but oh well 😂
Why not try applying to other clothes shops such as H&M, Mango, Next, River Island etc. as well as places like Tesco, Sainsburys, Wilko, Ryan etc.
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I was also rejected from primark which made me feel like a dumb idiot at first but oh well 😂
Why not try applying to other clothes shops such as H&M, Mango, Next, River Island etc. as well as places like Tesco, Sainsburys, Wilko, Ryan etc.
Oh, I applied to almost every store in my local shopping centre which had places including Tesco, Next, H&M etc. I have also given out CV's and cover letters to loads of other stores in case they were interested but none of it seemed to work. :/
dlaws.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
start by altering your CV, if you don't get much responses you need to change it up until you do good luck
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
(Original post by dlaws.)
start by altering your CV, if you don't get much responses you need to change it up until you do good luck
I have been writting cover letters to each store as well, but they don't seem to help much.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cherry-Cola)
Oh, I applied to almost every store in my local shopping centre which had places including Tesco, Next, H&M etc. I have also given out CV's and cover letters to loads of other stores in case they were interested but none of it seemed to work. :/
How long have you been waiting for a response?

You might want to send follow up emails to the stores who you've given your CV too. It seems unusual that you would be rejected post interview because of a lack of experience because surely they would have filtered you out before interview if that was the case.
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
How long have you been waiting for a response?

You might want to send follow up emails to the stores who you've given your CV too. It seems unusual that you would be rejected post interview because of a lack of experience because surely they would have filtered you out before interview if that was the case.
I started filling in applications and giving out CV's from the start of August. The stores that I had applied online respond either that I have been rejected or to come for interviews. While applying for a job to certain stores online such as Choice, Next and Debenhams they don't ask your CV or previous work experiences until the main interview.
aleksceramics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I applied to loads of different places in the summer, and the only place that got back to me was a petrol station! so maybe try there
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
(Original post by aleksceramics)
I applied to loads of different places in the summer, and the only place that got back to me was a petrol station! so maybe try there
Did you get a job there? I haven't thought of petrol stations!
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I started filling in applications and giving out CV's from the start of August. The stores that I had applied online respond either that I have been rejected or to come for interviews. While applying for a job to certain stores such as Choice, Debenhams or Next, they don't ask your CV or previous work experiences until the main interview.
Oh right. Well maybe you should review your CV and try to enhance it - there are some really good websites out there like reed.co.uk

Also why don't you try broadening your job search to more places than just your local area (if you live like in a big city or something - that's what I had to do although I didn't really want to)
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
Oh right. Well maybe you should review your CV and try to enhance it - there are some really good websites out there like reed.co.uk

Also why don't you try broadening your job search to more places than just your local area (if you live like in a big city or something - that's what I had to do although I didn't really want to)
Thank you! I might try searching for shopping centres a bit further away although I would have to get there by trains.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you! I might try searching for shopping centres a bit further away although I would have to get there by trains.
No problem! I totally understand how it's like to just keep being ignored/rejected from jobs so I hope I helped
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
No problem! I totally understand how it's like to just keep being ignored/rejected from jobs so I hope I helped
Just found a place online in a warehouse which says that it accepts applications from students. I might apply although don't know anything of what working in warehouse is like
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just found a place online in a warehouse which says that it accepts applications from students. I might apply although don't know anything of what working in warehouse is like
Go for it, research a little about warehouses then apply and make up random rubbish about how you'd love to work there (if they ask in the application/at interview)
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I started filling in applications and giving out CV's from the start of August. The stores that I had applied online respond either that I have been rejected or to come for interviews. While applying for a job to certain stores online such as Choice, Next and Debenhams they don't ask your CV or previous work experiences until the main interview.
As someone who has worked in retail, the vast majority of stores will not be hiring in August. They have plenty of summer and permanent staff then. For summer roles I recommend you start applying in April/May (I was applying as early as February), and for Christmas roles I would recommend around October. These are probably your best way in to a permanent position. Other than that, try throughout September as students will be going to university and leaving jobs. Good luck!
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
Go for it, research a little about warehouses then apply and make up random rubbish about how you'd love to work there (if they ask in the application/at interview)
Yes I'll try that
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
(Original post by Edminzodo)
As someone who has worked in retail, the vast majority of stores will not be hiring in August. They have plenty of summer and permanent staff then. For summer roles I recommend you start applying in April/May (I was applying as early as February), and for Christmas roles I would recommend around October. These are probably your best way in to a permanent position. Other than that, try throughout September as students will be going to university and leaving jobs. Good luck!
Thank you, Im looking for a weekends only job ( so I can only work on Saturdays and Sundays 8am-19pm) as I'm also a sixth form student. Do you think some stores may reject applications because of that although I only apply for jobs who look for weekend staff?
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you, Im looking for a weekends only job ( so I can only work on Saturdays and Sundays 8am-19pm) as I'm also a sixth form student. Do you think some stores may reject applications because of that although I only apply for jobs who look for weekend staff?
A lot of roles require some flexibility, yes, so they may take someone who could work all week over you. Like I said, your best bet is Christmas temp work, as they will certainly need weekend staff. Maybe mention that you can work weekday evenings as well, if you can? Or if you have afternoons off you can work in then say this as well?
aleksceramics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you get a job there? I haven't thought of petrol stations!
Yup! Was interviewed a few days after handing in my CV and was immediately offered the job!
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
(Original post by aleksceramics)
Yup! Was interviewed a few days after handing in my CV and was immediately offered the job!
That's great! I definitely have to try that! Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.81%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.08%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.31%
I need help with my personal statement (43)
38.05%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.77%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.19%

Watched Threads