The Student Room Group

Is Durham worth it?

I'm considering applying to Durham University to do either a BSc or MMath in Mathematics. I got all A's in Maths (97/90/82 UMS in C1, C2, and S1), a B in Biology, and a C in Chemistry. I emailed Durham and was told that in order for an offer to be possible I would need to take AS Further Maths (get an A) and take the TMUA test as well as get A* in Maths and an A in both Biology and Chemistry.

Is taking Further Maths and the TMUA test worth it for Durham as well as the £167 price for the Open Day travel?

I am also looking at Birmingham, East Anglia, Leicester, Loughborough, Nottingham, and York.

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
That depends on you. How much do you want to go to Durham? Durham will probably be more difficult to get into than any of the other universities you listed, so Durham would have to be your first choice to be worth the effort and money. If it's not your first choice, then I would say don't bother
Why do you need to go to the open day? If it's an unreasonable expense, there's no reason to do so.

In any case, if you're planning to study Maths anywhere Further Maths is extremely useful - beyond the fact you'll have to cover this material eventually (in a quicker pace, with less individualised attention), it's useful to experience having that scope of maths in your everyday curriculum. You'll be living and breathing maths at uni, and the courses go pretty quickly. If you think you will struggle with doing both Maths and FM simultaneously, it's likely you would have a hard time on the courses. Moreover, if you take it and do find you're struggling, that would be a valuable sign to consider other options and avoid potentially starting a degree you can't manage.
Reply 3
Original post by flabi
That depends on you. How much do you want to go to Durham? Durham will probably be more difficult to get into than any of the other universities you listed, so Durham would have to be your first choice to be worth the effort and money. If it's not your first choice, then I would say don't bother

Purely on my gut feeling, I don't think that Durham will be my first choice and looking at Durham was based on its position in the league tables in Maths and as a uni itself as well as the fact that it is Durham. Thank you.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Why do you need to go to the open day? If it's an unreasonable expense, there's no reason to do so.

In any case, if you're planning to study Maths anywhere Further Maths is extremely useful - beyond the fact you'll have to cover this material eventually (in a quicker pace, with less individualised attention), it's useful to experience having that scope of maths in your everyday curriculum. You'll be living and breathing maths at uni, and the courses go pretty quickly. If you think you will struggle with doing both Maths and FM simultaneously, it's likely you would have a hard time on the courses. Moreover, if you take it and do find you're struggling, that would be a valuable sign to consider other options and avoid potentially starting a degree you can't manage.

I feel like choosing a university that I haven't stepped into is quick risky regardless of what university it is. I think that I would be able to do Maths and Further Maths (one of my friends did it this year just gone and it looked doable provided that I am in a class and taught it beforehand, I also looked at past papers after watching videos/reading about the topic and I could do some initial FP1 stuff), it is Chemistry that I am thinking I will struggle with most as it took me till February/March to start to grasp the content and how to answer the questions.

Thank you for the response.

Quick Reply

Latest