Turn on thread page Beta

Learning, Leisure and Lemur's Grade Growing Gateway to Grade Growth watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Welcome to my 2017/18 GYG thread!! :woo:
    Hey there!
    (Yes I was totally just trying to see how many Gs and Ls I could get in that title!)
    This thread is going to be the documentation of my year 12 journey to better grades. (Once the 2017/18 GYG forum is made I will move it over ). The ultimate aim currently is to study maths at Oxford so after relatively successful GCSEs then this is the next stage to make my dream happen. I will be trying to update at the minimum weekly to tell you how I am doing and am aiming to improve on mistakes made at GCSE level to get the best A level results I can!

An introduction to me:
    I'm Lemur14

I'm part of the support team in the Study Help section of TSR I love maths as I'm sure anyone who reads any part of this blog will find out, but also performing arts, musicals, working with children and helping people! I also really enjoy dance and watching tennis (although the US Open this year is very disappointing). Other things I find interesting include politics (although I don't really know enough about it to debate beyond the basics), finance and analysing patterns and trends.

Academic History:

GCSEs
    My school is a bit weird so we took our GCSEs over 3 years:
    2015 (year 9):
    French (B)
    Citizenship Short Course (A)

2016 (year 10):
    Statistics :heart: (A*)
    Religious Studies Short Course (A)
    European Computer Driving Licence (distinction*)

2017 (year 11):
    Maths (9)
    English Language (6)
    English Literature (8)
    Biology (A)
    Chemistry (A)
    Physics (A)
    Electronics (A*)
    Computing (A*)
    Business (A)
    History (A)
    FSMQ Additional Maths (A)

Total: 6A*, 7A, 2B + A in FSMQ

AS levels
    Despite the new linear A levels being in place for all subjects for next year, my school is still entering us in for AS maths and further maths. Here are my predicted grades:
    Edexcel Maths: TBC
    Edexcel Further maths: TBC

Other
    My other subjects will be Edexcel Chemistry and OCR Computing. As I want to study maths then maths will be my main focus, but to get into Oxford I will need A*A*A so I still need to work hard to get good grades in all my subjects.
    Other mathematical focuses will be on improving my speed (without losing my accuracy) and problem solving abilities as both of these will be important for both A levels and the MAT which is the admissions test I would need to take for Oxford. We actually get a class at sixth form which starts out as this then develops into a STEP class (which is irritating as that's the Cambridge admissions test not the Oxford one) so I'll be making use of that

Important Dates
    Here
    September 11th - Start Year 12
    7th November-Senior Maths Challenge
    February 19th-March 2nd - Mocks
    May 14th (PM) - FM Pure AS exam (1h 40)
    May 16th (AM) - Maths Pure AS exam (2 hrs)
    May 17th (PM) - FM Option AS exam (1h 40)
    May 23rd (AM) - Maths Applied AS exam (1h 15)
    July 10th - Finish for the summer

Tags:
    I'll add the tags in the morning...since it's 2am lol. If anyone has a GYG they would like me to follow then either put a link on here or tag me in it :grouphugs:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Reserving the first post on my thread for a lovely tag list
    I'm not one for giving people tonnes of notifications (or even more than one) they don't want (well...intentionally!) so if you want tagging in my updates please ask and I'll gladly add you to the list If I've tagged you above and you don't want tagging again then you don't have to do anything at all...I'll do my best not to tag you again!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    [Quote=Protostar]x[/quote]
    [Quote=Historical Muse]x[/quote]
    [Quote=CoffeeAndPolitics]x[/quote]
    [Quote=Sonechka]x[/quote]
    [Quote=Sivthasan]x[/quote]
    [Quote=thotproduct]x[/quote]
    [Quote=Mosope17]x[/quote]
    [Quote=Labrador99]x[/quote]
    [Quote=DeepInTheMeadow]x[/quote]
    [Quote=zq01]x[/quote]
    [Quote=EmilySarah00]x[/quote]
    [Quote=ecila21]x[/quote]
    [Quote=agaaga1010]x[/quote]
    [Quote=Royal Sheepy]x[/quote]
    [Quote=Lilsthebest]x[/quote]
    [Quote=Anna1029]x[/quote]
    [Quote=nyxnko_]x[/quote]
    [Quote=clouddbubbles]x[/quote]
    [Quote=laurawatt]x[/quote]
    [Quote=04MR17]x[/quote]
    [Quote=Michelle08]x[/quote]
    [Quote=OrangeArcher]x[/quote]
    [Quote=entertainmyfaith]x[/quote]
    [Quote=HowToBeABlobfish]x[/quote]
    [Quote=shadowdraconis]x[/quote]
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    In to watch - pop me in the tag list
    Good luck with Y12 from a fellow Maths applicant a year ahead :five:

What made you choose Oxford?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Protostar)
    In to watch - pop me in the tag list
    Good luck with Y12 from a fellow Maths applicant a year ahead :five:

What made you choose Oxford?
    Great Thank you! Good luck to you as well! I read bits of your year 12 blog and it's amazing! If you make one for year 13 tag me in and I'll follow it
    tbh Oxford started out as something I wanted to do as a kid because both my parents went there, but now I'm older then I see that it really is a good uni and I really like it there. There's also other aspects such as it's a really good distance from home (about an hour on the train or just a little more in the car) and because I've been up there to see my parent's friends and stuff I know it really well. I also like the fact that (if you choose your college carefully) then you can get in college accomodation for all years and I may be slightly addicted to one of their academic book shops...
    Basically it's a combination of factors that started when I must have been about 7 :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Oxford over Cambridge!!! Each to their own I guess😂😂, good luck with this, I'll defo be following along for tips myself
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I've just been through your other GYG thread and decided I would like to follow this one I am going into year 12 and I'm also taking maths, further maths, chemistry (and biology)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrangeArcher)
    I've just been through your other GYG thread and decided I would like to follow this one I am going into year 12 and I'm also taking maths, further maths, chemistry (and biology)
    I'm also doing those 3 ( and physics)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Tag me on for sure! Oxford, better be ready for the Lemur
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by zq01)
    Oxford over Cambridge!!! Each to their own I guess😂😂, good luck with this, I'll defo be following along for tips myself
    I'd literally never live it down if I went to Cambridge :lol:
    Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lemur14)

Welcome to my 2017/18 GYG thread!! :woo:
    Hey there!
    (Yes I was totally just trying to see how many Gs and Ls I could get in that title!)
    This thread is going to be the documentation of my year 12 journey to better grades. (Once the 2017/18 GYG forum is made I will move it over ). The ultimate aim currently is to study maths at Oxford so after relatively successful GCSEs then this is the next stage to make my dream happen. I will be trying to update at the minimum weekly to tell you how I am doing and am aiming to improve on mistakes made at GCSE level to get the best A level results I can!

An introduction to me:
    I'm Lemur14

I'm a Community Assistant in the Study Help section of TSR I love maths as I'm sure anyone who reads any part of this blog will find out, but also performing arts, musicals, working with children and helping people! I also really enjoy dance and watching tennis (although the US Open this year is very disappointing). Other things I find interesting include politics (although I don't really know enough about it to debate beyond the basics), finance and analysing patterns and trends.

Academic History:

GCSEs
    My school is a bit weird so we took our GCSEs over 3 years:
    2015 (year 9):
    French (B)
    Citizenship Short Course (A)

2016 (year 10):
    Statistics :heart: (A*)
    Religious Studies Short Course (A)
    European Computer Driving Licence (distinction*)

2017 (year 11):
    Maths (9)
    English Language (6)
    English Literature (8)
    Biology (A)
    Chemistry (A)
    Physics (A)
    Electronics (A*)
    Computing (A*)
    Business (A)
    History (A)
    FSMQ Additional Maths (A)

Total: 6A*, 7A, 2B + A in FSMQ

AS levels
    Despite the new linear A levels being in place for all subjects for next year, my school is still entering us in for AS maths and further maths. Here are my predicted grades:
    Edexcel Maths: TBC
    Edexcel Further maths: TBC

Other
    My other subjects will be Edexcel Chemistry and OCR Computing. As I want to study maths then maths will be my main focus, but to get into Oxford I will need A*A*A so I still need to work hard to get good grades in all my subjects.
    Other mathematical focuses will be on improving my speed (without losing my accuracy) and problem solving abilities as both of these will be important for both A levels and the MAT which is the admissions test I would need to take for Oxford. We actually get a class at sixth form which starts out as this then develops into a STEP class (which is irritating as that's the Cambridge admissions test not the Oxford one) so I'll be making use of that

Important Dates
    Here
    September 11th - Start Year 12
    February 19th-March 2nd - Mocks
    May 14th (PM) - FM Pure AS exam (1h 40)
    May 16th (AM) - Maths Pure AS exam (2 hrs)
    May 17th (PM) - FM Option AS exam (1h 40)
    May 23rd (AM) - Maths Applied AS exam (1h 15)
    July 10th - Finish for the summer

Tags:
    I'll add the tags in the morning...since it's 2am lol. If anyone has a GYG they would like me to follow then either put a link on here or tag me in it :grouphugs:
    Love this! :rave: rooting for you :woo:
    You crazy math loving person you :mmm:
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Good luck
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Yassss!! Good luck!!

The name is everything
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Love this! :rave: rooting for you :woo:
    You crazy math loving person you :mmm:
    Thanks! :hugs:
    Maths :heart: You took it so you can't hate it that much And I'm taking chemistry so...:woo:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Good luck
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Yassss!! Good luck!!

The name is everything
    Thank you! :hugs:
    Yes the name is definitely everything!

ReputationRep:
    Wait, do o*ford not make people take STEP? They might as well just get people to take Year 6 SATs.

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to this Good Luck
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Thanks! :hugs:
    Maths :heart: You took it so you can't hate it that much And I'm taking chemistry so...:woo:
    :cube:
    :flute:
    Yasss :five:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! Rooting for you...no pun intended :lol: and that is some very nice alliteration in the title!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    :cube:
    :flute:
    Yasss :five:
    :five:
    (Original post by Sonechka)
    Good luck! Rooting for you...no pun intended :lol: and that is some very nice alliteration in the title!
    Thank you! Congrats on hitting 1k posts
    Yeah the title probably took nearly as long as the content to think of! I wanted a third L but I couldn't think of anything apart from lemur...and then I couldn't think of another G after Grade Growing :lol: Not quite sure it makes sense but it's done now so oh well!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, good luck and definitely tag me in! Looking forward to reading your updates :cookie::woo:
    I've got one of these myself lol

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.