PowerPuffGoth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thought it's worth asking on here because I'm a bit stuck on what to do.
My current situation is a bit confusing, I started uni in 2014 and did a science foundation year at UoH, I then dropped out due to my mental health half way through the first year of the degree and restarted the year in 2016, I've failed two modules however (turns out I wasn't quite ready to come back) and I'm waiting to see if I can continue the course I'm on (geography).
But, I'm actually wanting to change course completely to Primary education (I think if I actually did a course I wanted to and not pushed into I might have a better chance of making it through uni), but I don't know if I'll be able too because although I did really well in my foundation year my ALevels are far from good.
I was really just wondering if anyone went through anything similar at Hull uni or elsewhere and what the outcome was, either with changing to completely unconnected courses or with mental health effecting uni multiple years or just literally any advice anyone could give me that they think I may find helpful

Sorry for the long read and thanks for any help ☺️
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PowerPuffGoth)
Thought it's worth asking on here because I'm a bit stuck on what to do.
My current situation is a bit confusing, I started uni in 2014 and did a science foundation year at UoH, I then dropped out due to my mental health half way through the first year of the degree and restarted the year in 2016, I've failed two modules however (turns out I wasn't quite ready to come back) and I'm waiting to see if I can continue the course I'm on (geography).
But, I'm actually wanting to change course completely to Primary education (I think if I actually did a course I wanted to and not pushed into I might have a better chance of making it through uni), but I don't know if I'll be able too because although I did really well in my foundation year my ALevels are far from good.
I was really just wondering if anyone went through anything similar at Hull uni or elsewhere and what the outcome was, either with changing to completely unconnected courses or with mental health effecting uni multiple years or just literally any advice anyone could give me that they think I may find helpful

Sorry for the long read and thanks for any help ☺️
You need to separate the issues.

1. Finance

How much funding do you have left? I cant do an accurate timeline as you IP is unclear.

Normally you get degree length +1 gift year funding.

If the degree was a standalone foundation year, then that uses 1 year for each year it lasts. Im assuming it was one year, which means puts you at

Degree length +0 by the time you start your degree.
It appears you started a main degree sometime in 2015, but dropped out? Was this a science degree or Geography or the foundation degree?

You then appear to have restarted in 2016 Geography and this ended up going nowhere?

By my estimation that appears to indicate you have had at least 2 years funding, meaning you have Degree -1 remaining at the most.

This will mean they will only fund any future degree at the most from the second year and you will have to find the £9,000 fees yourself on any new degree course. It is important you clarify and get this issue sorted out as no finance could make it very difficult/ impossible for you to start a new course.

Compelling personal reasons
It is possible to make a compelling personal reasons claim to get previous years of funding back. You may need to do this based on your mental health.

https://www.solent.ac.uk/finance/doc...y-payments.pdf

2. Mental Health

You need to deal with your MH issues first and my impression is you are still unresolved and not on top if things. The things that forced you to drop out previously appear still to be there and could have the same effect on your new degree. Notwithstanding funding difficulties, then MH could drag you down again, so you need to deal with it now.

3. Transfer / New Course

You can try for the new subject, but if you dont have the finance from SFE or independent means, then you will not be able to start a course.

The admissions people will also be looking at your record and why you dropped out previously. They will be concerned about your MH and whether it will be a problem. This is why you need to get on top.

You have to consider very carefully how it looks from their point and be wary how you present yourself. Read the entrance criteria and work out what you need for a good application. they may overlook A levels and be impressed with your foundation performance, but they will also want work experience and for you to have sorted out 1 and 2.

Talk to your tutor, student adviser, careers and your mental health team at Hull.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (329)
34.6%
No (622)
65.4%

Watched Threads