The Student Room Group

I don't ever want kids - am I weird ?

I have always disliked kids. Even when I was a kid myself, I disliked toddlers.

I just find them so annoying and their unpredictability irritates me.

I don't find them cute at all.

In sum, I don't want kids.

I've tried to want kids because I know most women do, but i cannot.

I'm career focused and I know I would resent a kid for potentially holding me back in my career.

Is this weird ? Anyone else feel the same?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

I'm career focused and I know I would resent a kid for potentially holding me back in my career.

I feel the exact same way, why would you want to deal with a kid when you can live your own life (study/career/travel)
No course not! Everyone is different and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who feel the same as you 🙂
Well just focus on your career if that's what means the most to you and doing well. If you get into a serious relationship and get married, then worry about kids and by then you might have changed what you view as 'important'.
Focus on careers or been happy for now
To each their own, nothing wrong with that.
me too lmao. after i met my baby cousin it just really confirmed my thoughts. i feel like a lot of people want kids though so i dont know how that would work if i had a partner

Sounds normal to me.
Will probably change over time.
Nope. Kids seem like a nice idea, but I really wanna do lots of travelling and take naps whenever I want.

Of course its not weird! It's just your own opinions about kids. dont' worry!:smile:
Definitely not weird. The number of people who avoid having children has been increasing these last few years and is now quite a sizeable chunk of people. And women prioritising their career is one of the reasons for that.

I dont find them cute at all and their behaviour irritates me. Perhaps i'll want one once i've reached a certain age and still achieved nothing myself, as it's said others do, or maybe I would have one just to continue my bloodline, or I had a partner who really wanted her own biological child and was prepared to become a 'full-time parent' so as I wouldn't have to pay any attention to it.
It's probably more common than people care to admit.

Just don't fall in love and commit yourself before you know your partner agrees and wants the same thing.
You can do whatever you want to do, it's YOUR life.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to have children and there is nothing worse than an unwanted child.

No, you are not weird. Not everyone should pass their genes down to the next generation. We need to control global population. You can also adopt children, if you decide to have a child but cannot have one because you have hit menopause.

Don't put yourself down, just live your life and enjoy. Nobody should force you to have kids, when u don't see yourself wanting or loving them.

All the best.
I feel the same, kind of.
I want a baby but I don't want to have to go through the toddler and child stages. Skip right from about 1 and half years old to about 10.
I also don't really want to have a baby if you get me :laugh:

I'm being serious - I've always wondered since when you get old your children (if they are thankful) will look after you. So does that mean you will admit yourself to a care home when you are physically incapable of looking after yourself? Will you be funding yourself and what if your money runs out. Im actually being very genuine in asking, anyone who feels the same way as the thread starter, please reply to my question :-)
No - kids are annoying
Original post by Uranium Potato
I'm being serious - I've always wondered since when you get old your children (if they are thankful) will look after you. So does that mean you will admit yourself to a care home when you are physically incapable of looking after yourself? Will you be funding yourself and what if your money runs out. Im actually being very genuine in asking, anyone who feels the same way as the thread starter, please reply to my question :-)

You can't have children for that reason, simply because you never know what will happen in life, so shouldn't plan for a situation where your expectation is that your children will care for you.
I was an abandoned baby and therefore never met my parents, but I have 7 chidren and I'm sure they will look after me when I come to a point where I can't look after myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending