The Student Room Group

My ATAS is still not approved and keeps getting pushed back so I am in full panic

Due to some events in my life I decided to attend grad school at the oldest engineering college that exists, University of Glasgow, as I have always dreamed (Lord Kelvin went there!) However due to the timing of these events and the slow process of getting information necessary such as letters of recommendation and funding, I was only approved with a CAS on August 27th, with the school year starting orientation on September 11th and classes the 18th. Little did I know just HOW LONG this ATAS was going to take. Since I couldn't apply to it without full information on my major, I could only send in the application on the 28th, even though the website warns it could take 20-30 days depending on load, with no option to expedite.

The lack of expedite option is absolutely and totally crippling for this, and I'm sure other people's, schedule. Every other facet of identification, passports, visas, driver's license replacements, gives an option to pay more for immediate return but not this.

Currently I have a flight booked for the 8th, but there is no way short of a magic lamp or a Delorian time machine that I can make it. Even worse, every time I log in to check on the ATAS, the date just keeps getting pushed back. First the estimated date was the 15th of September which would cause me to miss orientation but still not suck too bad. Then it was pushed to the 20th, midway through first week, then the 25th, which is the last possible day to attend for the year, and now it's at the bloody 27th.

It saddens me that this bureaucratic nonsense is getting in the way of higher learning. I don't know what to do. At this point, it is likely I will have to just deal with my living situation for a year and catch the next semester.
Original post by RettMikhal
Due to some events in my life I decided to attend grad school at the oldest engineering college that exists, University of Glasgow, as I have always dreamed (Lord Kelvin went there!) However due to the timing of these events and the slow process of getting information necessary such as letters of recommendation and funding, I was only approved with a CAS on August 27th, with the school year starting orientation on September 11th and classes the 18th. Little did I know just HOW LONG this ATAS was going to take. Since I couldn't apply to it without full information on my major, I could only send in the application on the 28th, even though the website warns it could take 20-30 days depending on load, with no option to expedite.

The lack of expedite option is absolutely and totally crippling for this, and I'm sure other people's, schedule. Every other facet of identification, passports, visas, driver's license replacements, gives an option to pay more for immediate return but not this.

Currently I have a flight booked for the 8th, but there is no way short of a magic lamp or a Delorian time machine that I can make it. Even worse, every time I log in to check on the ATAS, the date just keeps getting pushed back. First the estimated date was the 15th of September which would cause me to miss orientation but still not suck too bad. Then it was pushed to the 20th, midway through first week, then the 25th, which is the last possible day to attend for the year, and now it's at the bloody 27th.

It saddens me that this bureaucratic nonsense is getting in the way of higher learning. I don't know what to do. At this point, it is likely I will have to just deal with my living situation for a year and catch the next semester.

While it is sad this sort of 'bureaucratic nonsense' is in place for good reasons. Unfortunately you just have to wait so it may be a good idea to get in touch with your course tutor, explain the situation and see what you can do from home while you wait. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
While it is sad this sort of 'bureaucratic nonsense' is in place for good reasons. Unfortunately you just have to wait so it may be a good idea to get in touch with your course tutor, explain the situation and see what you can do from home while you wait. Good luck!

I seriously doubt anyone with actual evil intentions will be deterred by what boils down to a promise to not be a bad guy. Some politician is really patting themselves on the back for this thinking "Yeah, we got those terrorists, there's no way they can just lie on the application so it's totally airtight!" Poppycock.
Original post by RettMikhal
I seriously doubt anyone with actual evil intentions will be deterred by what boils down to a promise to not be a bad guy. Some politician is really patting themselves on the back for this thinking "Yeah, we got those terrorists, there's no way they can just lie on the application so it's totally airtight!" Poppycock.

You'd be surprised at how many people come in claiming to be students to work and then disappearing into the country and the amounts of money that get spent on finding and deporting them. Anyway, that's not a debate for this thread. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending