The Student Room Group

Canadian undergrad wanting to study in the UK? How difficult is a transfer

Hello all, so I am currently about halfway through my undergrad degree in psychology in Canada. After a recent trip to the UK I have decided that I really just prefer it for many reasons I won't go into. I wish to not only move to the UK as soon as possible but build my life there. I should mention that I am a UK citizen so not worried about the legalities of that (have lived in Canada since a very young age). Where would one even start with trying to make such a move? Any Canadians here studying in the UK? In Canada, uni admission is simply based on high school marks (mainly grades 11 and 12) and there is not really any concept of admission exams (which from what I understand are your A levels?). Since I am transferring and have done a good amount of uni courses already will my admission be based strictly on that? My UGPA is around 2.7, is it unrealistic to try and get into a half decent UK uni with that, especially one in greater London or any of the other major cities? Lastly, if its all too much of a headache to move right now, and I decide to make the transition after I finish my degree, then are Canadian degrees generally taken as "equal" in the UK? I know with the US and Canada is not an issue normally, but I have heard of many from Europe across different fields having to do further studies once coming to Canada. Definitely doing my research online, but its all very overwhelming right now and I am hoping maybe I can catch some Canadian expats on here with first hand experience. Thank you all so much in advance.
Original post by kde5
Hello all, so I am currently about halfway through my undergrad degree in psychology in Canada. After a recent trip to the UK I have decided that I really just prefer it for many reasons I won't go into. I wish to not only move to the UK as soon as possible but build my life there. I should mention that I am a UK citizen so not worried about the legalities of that (have lived in Canada since a very young age). Where would one even start with trying to make such a move? Any Canadians here studying in the UK? In Canada, uni admission is simply based on high school marks (mainly grades 11 and 12) and there is not really any concept of admission exams (which from what I understand are your A levels?). Since I am transferring and have done a good amount of uni courses already will my admission be based strictly on that? My UGPA is around 2.7, is it unrealistic to try and get into a half decent UK uni with that, especially one in greater London or any of the other major cities? Lastly, if its all too much of a headache to move right now, and I decide to make the transition after I finish my degree, then are Canadian degrees generally taken as "equal" in the UK? I know with the US and Canada is not an issue normally, but I have heard of many from Europe across different fields having to do further studies once coming to Canada. Definitely doing my research online, but its all very overwhelming right now and I am hoping maybe I can catch some Canadian expats on here with first hand experience. Thank you all so much in advance.

Just a few brief points.

1. If you wish to start a degree fresh, then thats a lot more simple and you should contact the international team at the uni you are interested in or the department to see how your qualifications meet their requirements. the information is normally on their webpage.

2. If you are seeking a transfer i.e entry into second year, then you have to contact the department again and se whether they are open to this. Its is uncommon but some unis might be interested. They will have to be satisfied your studies are equivalent and for that they will require a transcript.

3. If you expect the UK to pay your fees then you will have a problem until you have been resident in the UK for the three years prior to the course start 1 sept. Until then there will be no student finance.

4. If you transfer after your degree, then you should contact the BPS.

They have conversion courses to gain accreditation.

http://www.bps.org.uk/careers-education-training/accredited-courses-training-programmes/accreditation-faqs/accreditation-f

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending