The Student Room Group

Biochemistry/ Bioscience/ biotechnology

How could I get a job after doing a degree in one of these?

Which of the three are more in demand/ interesting?

Would it be better to find employment in the US/ Canada as scientists there are usually in demand and they pay better? (I ask this mainly because I'd like to live in either one day).

Are the salaries generally quite low in YOUR perspective? (looking on the internet they seem way too low).

Which one of these has the best graduate prospects?

Will further study be essential?

Sorry for the all these questions - I need to choose my A levels in three days and I need to know if I'm going to have a career in science/ law.
Reply 1
The field of biotechnology is one of the fastest growing.

Jobs are easier to get the more flexible you are. My advice is to take the first one you are offered that is in a relevant field, get a years experience then start looking for something you actually want.

Don't be too picky and be flexible on location for the first role! Makes life easier.

Also depends on the area you want to get into. Scientists don't just research. Pharmaceuticals is a huge industry. You have process technologists and quality control or quality assurance technicians. The job you accept today is likely to be completely different from the one you are doing 5 years from now. Research different career paths it will help with your decision.
Reply 2
Original post by MLWbio
The field of biotechnology is one of the fastest growing.

Jobs are easier to get the more flexible you are. My advice is to take the first one you are offered that is in a relevant field, get a years experience then start looking for something you actually want.

Don't be too picky and be flexible on location for the first role! Makes life easier.

Also depends on the area you want to get into. Scientists don't just research. Pharmaceuticals is a huge industry. You have process technologists and quality control or quality assurance technicians. The job you accept today is likely to be completely different from the one you are doing 5 years from now. Research different career paths it will help with your decision.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest