How to take A Level Maths privately? Watch

Haider_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!

I have been considering taking A Level Maths as a private candidate, purely because I didn't meet the entry requirements to study it at a sixth form.

I have 3 other A levels I will be taking (Physics, Psychology and Geography) as a normal sixth form candidate, however they wouldn't let me take Maths (which I need for my career aspiration as an engineer).

Should I take A Level Maths privately at the same time as my other A levels, or should I wait until these A Levels are finished and then start it?

Also, how would I get started in Maths, independent learning or going somewhere for teaching?

Thanks
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Haider_A)
Hi!

I have been considering taking A Level Maths as a private candidate, purely because I didn't meet the entry requirements to study it at a sixth form.

I have 3 other A levels I will be taking (Physics, Psychology and Geography) as a normal sixth form candidate, however they wouldn't let me take Maths (which I need for my career aspiration as an engineer).

Should I take A Level Maths privately at the same time as my other A levels, or should I wait until these A Levels are finished and then start it?

Also, how would I get started in Maths, independent learning or going somewhere for teaching?

Thanks
Engineeering is an extremely maths heavy degree, if you didn't get the required GCSE grade to study it at A-level, there's no way you'll cope with it at degree level. People who got A and A* grades at GCSE struggle with A-levels maths, it's time to start thinking about another career.
Haider_A
Rep:
?
(Original post by Glassapple)
Engineeering is an extremely maths heavy degree, if you didn't get the required GCSE grade to study it at A-level, there's no way you'll cope with it at degree level. People who got A and A* grades at GCSE struggle with A-levels maths, It's time to start thinking about another career.

I was thinking that, however I did have a good pass in Maths but it was short of their entry requirements.

Do you have any tip/advice for taking maths privately?
Michael1847
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd say go for it,

edexcel have a private centre locator, take a look:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...s.html/student
Shaanv
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do lots of past papers. Also which exam board? Old spec or new spec? Have u sorted out an exam centre?

Also i think the best way is to work through the approved textbooks for your exam board and then do past papers etc
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was thinking that, however I did have a good pass in Maths but it was short of their entry requirements.

Do you have any tip/advice for taking maths privately?
I wouldn't let a not-so-good grade in maths put you off. As well as sitting A-level maths privately, have you also looked into apprenticeships?
Haider_A
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shaanv)
Do lots of past papers. Also which exam board? Old spec or new spec? Have u sorted out an exam centre?

Also i think the best way is to work through the approved textbooks for your exam board and then do past papers etc
I have't considered any of that, but do I have a choice of which specification to take?

And do I teach myself at home and take the exam at a centre or can I be taught by someone at a centre and also take my exam there?
Haider_A
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
I wouldn't let a not-so-good grade in maths put you off. As well as sitting A-level maths privately, have you also looked into apprenticeships?
Yes!! I've considered taking the Rolls-Royce Engineering Apprenticeship after completing my A Levels or the Monarch Aeronautical Engineering Apprenticeship after A Levels.
Shaanv
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have't considered any of that, but do I have a choice of which specification to take?

And do I teach myself at home and take the exam at a centre or can I be taught by someone at a centre and also take my exam there?
Some centres may let u do the old spec, however u would have to do all the exams in one year, and u may be able to do some retakes the year after. Not too sure about this tho.

As to your second point, i dont have a clue. I would assume that u have to teach yourself at home but im not sure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
6.79%
They might tell the bully (28)
10%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.71%
It might lead to more bullying (105)
37.5%
There's nothing they could do (84)
30%

Watched Threads