The Student Room Group

im in a bit of a sticky situation with my uni before i even started

I am aware i am i a bit of a awkward situation (i am new to TSR by the way) anyway I resat my maths gcse as i am aware most unis require at least a C in maths gcse i got my uni offer and it stated i needed my maths gcse so i rang up before gcse results day where i asked if i was to fail my maths gcse would i still be let on the course as i had got the right A levels for the course at that uni and they said no and i asked could i resit them at uni and they also said no (probably because this is considered a very well respected and competitive uni) so results day came and i had failed my maths gcse ( i got a D) so i rang the uni to say i had passed and my offer was made unconditional on ucas but now the uni contacted me asking for proof of my gcse C in maths so what should i do ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Admit you lied ('made a mistake'). Apologise. Look for another Uni to go to.
Reply 2
Or just withdraw from the Uni place so they don't know you attempted to gain a place by lying...
Reply 3
Original post by sahjahn
Admit you lied ('made a mistake'). Apologise. Look for another Uni to go to.

isnt it a bit late for clearing now as its been 3 week since a level results day and i was thinking do you think i may slide under the radar if i was just to ignore their request ?
You have to admit the truth or withdraw
If you start and they find out, you're out
Why did you lie? Did you really think they won't check!
Original post by leechapman
I am aware i am i a bit of a awkward situation (i am new to TSR by the way) anyway I resat my maths gcse as i am aware most unis require at least a C in maths gcse i got my uni offer and it stated i needed my maths gcse so i rang up before gcse results day where i asked if i was to fail my maths gcse would i still be let on the course as i had got the right A levels for the course at that uni and they said no and i asked could i resit them at uni and they also said no (probably because this is considered a very well respected and competitive uni) so results day came and i had failed my maths gcse ( i got a D) so i rang the uni to say i had passed and my offer was made unconditional on ucas but now the uni contacted me asking for proof of my gcse C in maths so what should i do ?

Only someone not bright enough to get a C at GCSE Maths would tell such a poor lie. Rule numero uno of lying. Deniable plausibility. You have none. Go back to school.

I suggest you just withdraw from that uni because you don't actually have a C at GCSE maths so there's no point apologising that you lied.
Reply 6
They have already asked for proof of your GCSE.
You do not have a university place.
There will be very little left in clearing and they'll probably want a C in maths GCSE anyway.

Retake. Get the Maths grade and apply next year.
How many times have you made this post 😂😂 you're going to have to accept the fact you're not going to university (or that university) this year & resit maths - to put it bluntly! You won't "slip" under the radar - universities are very strict on this and they will chase you down for the proof.
You probably won't even be allowed to register as a student at the uni on their portal until you send the maths result - which means no student finance coming through, because the university won't register you as one of their students
Reply 8
Original post by Sammylou40
You have to admit the truth or withdraw
If you start and they find out, you're out
Why did you lie? Did you really think they won't check!

i really didnt think they would check
Reply 9
Original post by oldboy2007
Only someone not bright enough to get a C at GCSE Maths would tell such a poor lie. Rule numero uno of lying. Deniable plausibility. You have none. Go back to school.

I suggest you just withdraw from that uni because you don't actually have a C at GCSE maths so there's no point apologising that you lied.

not bright enough* i got 3 As in my a level so i think i am fairly bright and i didnt think they would actually ask for proof of my grade C
As everyone else has stated, you won't get a place. Maybe have a look at non-university options, university is not for everyone
i really didnt think they would check

Of course they will
They're checked before a level and a levels checked before uni.
The fact you rang and told a bare faced lie is very much against you.
You'd better ring and try and fudge out of it. Did you take any others so you could say you mixed up?
You'll be declined but it's better that you contact them before they come to you
Reply 12
Original post by Ruby1997
How many times have you made this post 😂😂 you're going to have to accept the fact you're not going to university (or that university) this year & resit maths - to put it bluntly! You won't "slip" under the radar - universities are very strict on this and they will chase you down for the proof.
You probably won't even be allowed to register as a student at the uni on their portal until you send the maths result - which means no student finance coming through, because the university won't register you as one of their students

what do you mean how many times i have made this post ? this is the first time i have made it and the uni had already changed my conditional offer to unconditonal so i wouldve thought the deadline wouldve ended for them to change track ?
They changed it to unconditional based on the understanding that you have met the GCSE grade.
Track is irrelevant now, you are dealing directly with the university.
They require proof of qualifications.
what do you mean how many times i have made this post ? this is the first time i have made it and the uni had already changed my conditional offer to unconditonal so i wouldve thought the deadline wouldve ended for them to change track ?

They don't need to change track. You are not going to their university. It doesn't matter what you try to avoid doing, or how you try to wiggle out of it, they are not going to let you in. You've already wasted time trying to ignore the situation so now you need to figure out what you're doing with your spare year.
Reply 15
Original post by Sammylou40
Of course they will
They're checked before a level and a levels checked before uni.
The fact you rang and told a bare faced lie is very much against you.
You'd better ring and try and fudge out of it. Did you take any others so you could say you mixed up?
You'll be declined but it's better that you contact them before they come to you

i will ring them up and see what arrangment we can come to as i may go down the route of i made a mistake as "i thought i had passed but i didnt" and i took maths and retook a As level but i got an A in that and initially i thought i would let it all blow over as their are so many students at this uni so i wouldnt be noticed but i dont think this is the case
Reply 16
Original post by ParadoxSocks
They don't need to change track. You are not going to their university. It doesn't matter what you try to avoid doing, or how you try to wiggle out of it, they are not going to let you in. You've already wasted time trying to ignore the situation so now you need to figure out what you're doing with your spare year.

we all make mistakes some bigger than others i hope the university may show some compassion for my situation i was going to try and go through clearing as i have 3 A's but i wont be to hopefull
It's done on a digital system. They get your grades direct from the exam boards. If there is a discrepancy it flags up on their system
Reply 18
Original post by niteninja1
It's done on a digital system. They get your grades direct from the exam boards. If there is a discrepancy it flags up on their system

if it was then why did they want me to show proof of my GCSE grade ?
we all make mistakes some bigger than others i hope the university may show some compassion for my situation i was going to try and go through clearing as i have 3 A's but i wont be to hopefull

The best you could try is asking them to allow a resit. Grovel.
Get some tutoring so you can pass it.
Can you still resit in November?
But don't just turn up. It'll end badly

Quick Reply

Latest