i need help but theres no help at all
Cherry-Cola
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by longway1017)
i need help but theres no help at all
You could try to self study it although it might cost you to re-take the exam. By the way my school does retakes for year 12's and 13's. Where about do you live and how far are you willing to travel? There may be schools a bit further away if you are ok with getting there by buses/trains.
username3490412
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Cherry-Cola)
You could try to self study it although it might cost you to re-take the exam. By the way my school does retakes for year 12's and 13's. Where about do you live and how far are you willing to travel? There may be schools a bit further away if you are ok with getting there by buses/trains.
I live in east london but i don't mind travelling. I also hope the costs aren't crazy, like in the thousands. Any help would be appreciated though
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I live in east london but i don't mind travelling. I also hope the costs aren't crazy, like in the thousands. Any help would be appreciated though
If you want to self study A-levels, it is expensive if you want to do it online. It would probably be difficult to do everything by yourself without a teacher so you could do the courses online where you could contact with teachers if you need any help. It would cost you about £315 per subject. (More information on https://www.oxfordcollege.ac/courses...level-courses/)

Also, to take your exams you would have to go to any sixth form/College and ask to do the exams as a private candidate. This would cost you further £50 per exam, or £150 per subject as A-level courses usually have 3 exams. So overall to self study a 1 A-level course with all exams and online teaching it would cost you around £465 I guess.

However I suggest you looking for a place in college that could accept you which would be much easier to you and you would receive much more help during your studies. Have you called in to every local College/Sixth form asking if they have any spare places?
username3490412
Rep:
?
If you want to self study A-levels, it is expensive if you want to do it online. It would probably be difficult to do everything by yourself without a teacher so you could do the courses online where you could contact with teachers if you need any help. It would cost you about £315 per subject. (More information on https://www.oxfordcollege.ac/courses...level-courses/)

Also, to take your exams you would have to go to any sixth form/College and ask to do the exams as a private candidate. This would cost you further £50 per exam, or £150 per subject as A-level courses usually have 3 exams. So overall to self study a 1 A-level course with all exams and online teaching it would cost you around £465 I guess.

However I suggest you looking for a place in college that could accept you which would be much easier to you and you would receive much more help during your studies. Have you called in to every local College/Sixth form asking if they have any spare places?

I don't require teaching for this as i just want to do the exam because self study will suffice and i have all the resources. Also i just want to do the 2nd year of the course (maths which isnt reformed) So asking to be a private candidate could work?

Also some local colleges/sixth forms wont let me in and the others arent responding to calls and emails.

Also thank you for being the only person who helped me,
novaswofter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't require teaching for this as i just want to do the exam because self study will suffice and i have all the resources. Also i just want to do the 2nd year of the course (maths which isnt reformed) So asking to be a private candidate

Also some local colleges/sixth forms wont let me in and the others arent responding to calls and emails.

Try David Game college near aldgate tube. They're accomadating for private candidates
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't require teaching for this as i just want to do the exam because self study will suffice and i have all the resources. Also i just want to do the 2nd year of the course (maths which isnt reformed) So asking to be a private candidate could work?

Hi, yes if you could do that if you want to take the exams by yourself. I want to also ask how many A-levels would you be doing? Would it be maths only or would include some more A-levels? If its only one A-level then I would suggest you to take it as a private candidate, but if its more then College would be a better choice.
UnKnowN1029
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was also looking to retake year 13. Live in east London and been to pretty much all the colleges and 6thforms around my area. The goverment doesn't fund students who have already completed year 13 once anymore unless they have extenuating circumstances or are looking to stay in the same school. So you cannot resit in any other school . I'm resiting at home and paying for my exams at a center which is costing me £65 for ever paper I sit .
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UnKnowN1029)
I was also looking to retake year 13. Live in east London and been to pretty much all the colleges and 6thforms around my area. The goverment doesn't fund students who have already completed year 13 once anymore unless they have extenuating circumstances or are looking to stay in the same school. So you cannot resit in any other school . I'm resiting at home and paying for my exams at a center which is costing me £65 for ever paper I sit .
Have you checked schools further away? Would you be ok with travelling by train?
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are quite few colleges and sixth forms local to me who take students late applications to re-sit their year 13's. There are some students getting there by trains and some of them even travel there 2 hours every day. Some of them get their train tickets for free, or get discounts. If you would be alright getting there by trains I could send you the list of schools by message if you want.
username3490412
Rep:
?
Hi, yes if you could do that if you want to take the exams by yourself. I want to also ask how many A-levels would you be doing? Would it be maths only or would include some more A-levels? If its only one A-level then I would suggest you to take it as a private candidate, but if its more then College would be a better choice.
I'm only 2nd year of maths, which is 3 exams.
Nettled
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You'd have to be a full time student and make sure the sixthforms or colleges you are looking at have the same exam boards.

That's how I've managed to find a place to resit yr 13 at.
Cherry-Cola
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm only 2nd year of maths, which is 3 exams.
I you'd like to join a sixth form, you would have to choose 3 subjects to re-sit. It is unlikely for them to let you in to re-sit only one A-level so I guess taking the exam as a private candidate would be a better choice for you.
dmahg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some colleges require you to be there for X amount of hours, hence why you need to be studying more than one A level there.
John123hi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Does anyone know about David Game College?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (404)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1035)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (483)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (252)
11.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed