Duke Of Edinburgh: Silver Award in start of Year 13 without Bronze Award?

Watch
Poll: Is the Duke Of Edinburgh Award (Silver) beneficial when applying to University?
The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.
PAPA S
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello, I'm going to be heading into Year 13 and will be starting my UCAS application soon.
I have already begun crafting my personal statement but I have a few questions...

1. Can I do the DofE Silver Award in Year 13?

2. Can I do the DofE Silver Award without the Bronze Award?

3. Do you recommend doing the DofE Program if you want to go into university, especially a Russell Group one?

4. If I am allowed to do the Silver Award in Year 13 and without needing to the bronze award first, how should I mention that I will supposedly be partaking in the Silver DofE Award in my UCAS Personal Statement?!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME RESPONDING TO MY THREAD <3
username1765117
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can take silver and even gold if not having done bronze, just need more time volunteering etc.

Just say on your statement you are planning to do DofE silver, if you really want to put it. It may or may not help depending on the uni but certainly not necessary.
Basiil17
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PAPA S)
Hello, I'm going to be heading into Year 13 and will be starting my UCAS application soon.
I have already begun crafting my personal statement but I have a few questions...

3. Do you recommend doing the DofE Program if you want to go into university, especially a Russell Group one?

4. If I am allowed to do the Silver Award in Year 13 and without needing to the bronze award first, how should I mention that I will supposedly be partaking in the Silver DofE Award in my UCAS Personal Statement?!

1,2) Yes, but it will take longer
3) That's your personal choice, but I'd say yes
4) Your own choice.

EDIT: I pulled the poll, as it reduces engagement with the thread
Mattysimpson2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think universities are more bothered about your academic performance rather than extra curricular. I managed to get an interview at Cambridge with no extra curricular stuff in my personal statement and have also got into univeristy of durham with no listing of DofE or anything of that nature.
Obviously they may still take it into account in subjects such as medicine but I think they really care about grades and showing you get good grades.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Don't do DoE because you think it will offer an advantage to your application - it won't. Universities don't care about DoE.

If you think it will be fun or interesting then go for it.
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hi there! Just letting you know your poll is open again now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.62%
I'm not sure (32)
4.4%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.64%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (349)
48.01%

Watched Threads