TS-HB
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys, just doing my summer work (essay) for school on attitudes towards females in Othello.

Wondering if anyone can give me tips on how to write a good introduction (with examples if poss.)?

I feel fairly confident with writing the content and conclusion, but always struggle to write a good (and relevant) introduction..

Any help would be SO appreciated!
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TS-HB)
Hey guys, just doing my summer work (essay) for school on attitudes towards females in Othello.

Wondering if anyone can give me tips on how to write a good introduction (with examples if poss.)?

I feel fairly confident with writing the content and conclusion, but always struggle to write a good (and relevant) introduction..

Any help would be SO appreciated!
Here's an example from an essay I wrote last year:
Spoiler:
Show
The Oxford Dictionary defines courage as “the ability to do something that frightens one; bravery.” Or, alternatively, “strength in the face of pain or grief.” In modern, liberal society, the latter of these definitions is seen as a central part of what it means to be courageous, as demonstrated by its very inclusion in the definition. But evidently, in 1930s Maycomb, a town in a particularly ideologically backward region of America, "inner" strength was not included in the accepted definition of this term. And Atticus, as per usual, took a different, more progressive view; he wanted to show his children that courage isn’t “a man with a gun in his hand” but “when you know that you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.” In other words, he conceptualised courage on a more abstract level, emphasising the aspect of courage that wasn’t to do with overpowering others but on being strong and persistent inside. The entire novel can be thought of as a document of Scout and Jem’s journey of discovery of this meaning of courage.

Looking back, I could have made this less convoluted (I did get 29/30 for the essay though) but I think it shows the general elements of a good introduction. The main thing to do is to put forward your central thesis, i.e. how exactly you would answer the question, and give an idea of what's to come in the essay; my last sentence hints that a "journey" is going to be examined in the essay, for example. Including a bit of background/social context as I've done is also a good idea, especially at A-level.
TS-HB
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Sonechka)
Here's an example from an essay I wrote last year:
Spoiler:
Show

The Oxford Dictionary defines courage as “the ability to do something that frightens one; bravery.” Or, alternatively, “strength in the face of pain or grief.” In modern, liberal society, the latter of these definitions is seen as a central part of what it means to be courageous, as demonstrated by its very inclusion in the definition. But evidently, in 1930s Maycomb, a town in a particularly ideologically backward region of America, "inner" strength was not included in the accepted definition of this term. And Atticus, as per usual, took a different, more progressive view; he wanted to show his children that courage isn’t “a man with a gun in his hand” but “when you know that you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.” In other words, he conceptualised courage on a more abstract level, emphasising the aspect of courage that wasn’t to do with overpowering others but on being strong and persistent inside. The entire novel can be thought of as a document of Scout and Jem’s journey of discovery of this meaning of courage.

Looking back, I could have made this less convoluted (I did get 29/30 for the essay though) but I think it shows the general elements of a good introduction. The main thing to do is to put forward your central thesis, i.e. how exactly you would answer the question, and give an idea of what's to come in the essay; my last sentence hints that a "journey" is going to be examined in the essay, for example. Including a bit of background/social context as I've done is also a good idea, especially at A-level.
Ah, brilliant, thank you! So I guess I should use my introduction as a moment to really set out what my angle will be? And yeah, I'll be sure to include some contextual information(: I've seen a few example introductions which include 'In this essay, I will discuss...", any thoughts on that? Wasn't sure if it was too crude maybe, but I see a lot of people using it.

Did you do literature or lit/lang?
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TS-HB)
Ah, brilliant, thank you! So I guess I should use my introduction as a moment to really set out what my angle will be? And yeah, I'll be sure to include some contextual information(: I've seen a few example introductions which include 'In this essay, I will discuss...", any thoughts on that? Wasn't sure if it was too crude maybe, but I see a lot of people using it.

Did you do literature or lit/lang?
Exactly I think that's ok as a last resort, but there are more interesting and poetic ways to lay out what you're going to cover, so if you can think of anything to use other than "in this essay, I will discuss..." it would be preferable, in my opinion. I also have a bit of a thing against using first person in essays; I'd be more likely to write "this essay will cover..." but I'm a pedant :lol:

Just literature, though I would certainly have chosen lit/lang if my school offered it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (11)
18.97%
I'm not sure (2)
3.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (17)
29.31%
I have already dropped out (2)
3.45%
I'm not a current university student (26)
44.83%

Watched Threads