The Student Room Group

Student finance for new attempt at degree (dropped out of 1st year fdn 4 years ago)

Hi, I am 23 years old and will remain 23 during 2017

In 2013 I dropped out of year 1 of a foundation degree. I got in without completing my BTEC (which I only completed 2/3 of units).

After having worked for 4 years I now want to study something else but need to do an access to HE course first. I am worried about student finance.

My understanding is SF will agree to pay tuition for the number of years the course lasts plus one year then minus any previous years taken.

So...
Q1.

Having started a foundation year in a different degree and planning to start a degree's first year does that count towards the 'minus one'?

Q2.

Will having or having prevously had a part time job significantly reduce my maintenance loan?

Q3. Will any advanced learner's loan for the access to HE course affect my undergraduate loan? I heard the ALL might be wiped if I am successful in getting a university place. I also hear the Access to HE may be free since I'm under 24 and don't hold a level 3 qualification (although I don't know if having attempted one will hinder me).

Thank you

From a very worried future student.
1) yes your previous study will count as your gift year. Any new degree will be fully funded for the full length of the course. If you need to restart or repeat a year (because you change your mind or fail) then additional extra years wouldn't be funded.

2) your income isn't assessed (only unearned income - trust funds or rental income usually - would be assessed). As you're under 25 at the start of your degree though you would be classed as still dependent on your parents unless you prove independence (being married, having a child or proving that you have been financially independent for 36 months). If you can't prove you're independent then SFE will want to assess your parents income. If you are over 25 when you start your degree then you'll be automatically classed as independent.

3) if you get an ALL to cover your access course that doesn't affect your entitlement to degree funds. It gets written off if you complete a degree.

Original post by JonChui
Hi, I am 23 years old and will remain 23 during 2017

In 2013 I dropped out of year 1 of a foundation degree. I got in without completing my BTEC (which I only completed 2/3 of units).

After having worked for 4 years I now want to study something else but need to do an access to HE course first. I am worried about student finance.

My understanding is SF will agree to pay tuition for the number of years the course lasts plus one year then minus any previous years taken.

So...
Q1.

Having started a foundation year in a different degree and planning to start a degree's first year does that count towards the 'minus one'?

Q2.

Will having or having prevously had a part time job significantly reduce my maintenance loan?

Q3. Will any advanced learner's loan for the access to HE course affect my undergraduate loan? I heard the ALL might be wiped if I am successful in getting a university place. I also hear the Access to HE may be free since I'm under 24 and don't hold a level 3 qualification (although I don't know if having attempted one will hinder me).

Thank you

From a very worried future student.
Reply 2
Thank you for answering. I feel some relief now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending