do i need art or design skills for architecture?

Watch
min.ruki
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
i am currently doing my gcse. the subjects i took are geography, sociology, computer science and french. i am in ther higher sets for maths and english, i also do triple science. i did not take art or design skills and i am wondering if it would still be ok if i tried to do architecture in the future e.g uni. i also would be greatful if i could have some ideas of what to do for a-level.
thank you
SlashaRussia
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by min.ruki)
i am currently doing my gcse. the subjects i took are geography, sociology, computer science and french. i am in ther higher sets for maths and english, i also do triple science. i did not take art or design skills and i am wondering if it would still be ok if i tried to do architecture in the future e.g uni. i also would be greatful if i could have some ideas of what to do for a-level.
thank you
I'd say that without art/design at GCSE you are unlikely to be offered a place to do art/design at A level.

As such, I'd say work on a portfolio of work to show to unis that show case your creative side. It depends on what uni you want to go to, some value art a hell of a lot and focus on design aspect, others focus on other more engineering ish aspects. But either way, start working on your portfolio, particularly at A level, since any uni will value creativity for architecture.
agi2
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I want to become an architect too, i did art for GCSE and I am going to start Art A level in like 4 days. I have been doing some research and not all unis require art A level for architecture but they do prefer it, if you have a mixture of arts (product design or Art and design) and science (physics or chemistry or maths) at A level. If you are interested in doing art as an a level course you just need to put together a art portfolio and give it to your college/sixthform without the need of an art gcse.
This academic year i am doing Art Physic Computer Science and Maths for my A levels. I'm probably going to drop computer science because i don't need four A levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.89%
I need help researching courses (5)
6.94%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
41.67%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.78%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.17%

Watched Threads