The Student Room Group
hi,
I want to do a course in psychology. How should i begin and what impressive points could i include in my personal statement?

thanks,

harriet
hello how can i start a ps for diagnostic radiography im getting really really stuck!!
thanks
How do we know you're not an A-level student wanting to see others's PSs that you can copy them? Sorry, but we have to be careful. :smile:
Reply 4
*in response to all you cynics - at the end of the day you have no proof i am not a lazy a-level student trying to plagiarise your work. however, i have posted some useful replies on this site, the advice given in these might put your mind at ease.

* my advice for a psychology PS

1) as with all PSs you must have a strong opening paragraph. an original opening may include a quotation/ definition. choose one which you like/ agree with and follow it with a couple of lines of discussion, and this should lead to a brief description of your own personal reasons for wanting to study psychology.

2) i assume you are studying psychology at A-level, you should discuss how this stimulated your interest/ enhanced your understanding. discuss 1 or 2 aspects you have most enjoyed, e.g. child psychology - give reasons why, also if you have conducted experiments/ coursework/ independent study discuss it in this section.

3) you must show you have read beyond the confines of your syllabus and are really interested in the subject. a good way to demonstrate this is to mention 2 or 3 psychology related books/ articles/ current debates/ even films in some depth. express an opinion, talk about why you liked this book/ novel.
if you are stuck for ideas read a basic psychology text book, read 'The Road Less Travelled' by M. Scott Peck, present your opinion on the importance of psychology to medicine/ the police. the list is endless

4) anything else which you think makes you suitable for this degree should be discussed in this section. some example are:
personal qualities/ characteristics/ skills
other A2 subjects (my mathematics course, in particular the statistics modules, have prepared me well for the handling of raw scientific data, needed for this degree etc etc) (sociology has proved a useful and fascinating subject to study alongside psychology. while one looks at the development of our society and it’s values, the focus of the other is on the individual. It is interesting to look at the relationship between the two….)
extra-curricular activities
work experience (clinical or administrative would both sound impressive in this context)
part-time job
time-management skills - successfully combining study, social life, work, family etc

5) your closing lines must equally as strong, as your opening ones. talk about your career ambitions if you know them. if not something along the lines of... 'Above all, I want to study psychology as an exciting discipline which both influences and finds it’s roots in every aspect of our lives.’ sounds good

* my advice for a diagnostic radiography PS...

1) strong opening paragraph. perhaps start with a definition. this should lead to a discussion of why you wish to study it. e.g. A degree leading to a career in diagnostic radiography appeals to me because....

2) discuss how your A level subjects have stimulated your interest in this career/ course.

3) discuss any texts/ books/ articles you have read on diagnostic radiography that have increased your understanding/ nurtured your interest. as it is quite an unusual subject, discussing any related medical issues would be appropriate. if you're stuck for ideas read a health supplement that comes with the Guardian or the Times, or read a medical journal (your school library should stock at least one.

4) anything else which you think makes you suitable for this degree should be discussed in this section. some example are:
any work experience - anything clinical/ medical would be suitable
personal qualities/ characteristics/ skills - working as part of a team, v important for this type of work
A2 subjects - sciences/ computing i assume - you don't need to discuss each one as this will be done in your reference, just aspects you feel are particularly useful
extra-curricular activities
part-time job
time-management skills - successfully combining study, social life, work, family etc

5) an equally strong closing section

Hope this helps, let me know if it did, or if you need more advice. Ana xxx
hi.. can u plz help me with my ps for med... ive sent it as a thread.. can u plz comment on it.. thanx
Reply 6
Hi, the advice you gave seemed really good so I was wondering if you had any pointers or advice for writing engineering ps. It will be a great help to know what things to include and in what order.Also have you got any opinions on which enginnering subject is the best? Thanks
Reply 7
mistry
Hi, the advice you gave seemed really good so I was wondering if you had any pointers or advice for writing engineering ps. It will be a great help to know what things to include and in what order.Also have you got any opinions on which enginnering subject is the best? Thanks

i was just going to ask that!

please help/give any tips for a engineering personal statement

Latest

Trending

Trending