GCSE specifications Watch

Afrina
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, guys!

I'm about to go into Year 11, and my school hasn't given me any exam specifications. I have asked my school but they said: "It's such a large document, that printing it off for all pupils would cost a fortune." I've had a look at them online, and they look super useful. Do you guys think it's worth printing off at home? Do you guys use GCSE specifications to support your revision?
GraceeButler
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely! I would download them and print off (only the actual course content- not the waffle beforehand i.e aim and objectives, the stuff for teachers) but it's really useful to use as a sort of checklist to know whether or not you have covered everything! It's actually what I'm doing right now and I'm also going into Year 11(WJEC exams though so not 9-1 courses). I would also use past paper questions and end of chapter questions if you have a textbook (which if it is for your exam board for this year- it should cover everything on the specification anyway...)
Good luck,
Grace xx
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Afrina)
Hey, guys!

I'm about to go into Year 11, and my school hasn't given me any exam specifications. I have asked my school but they said: "It's such a large document, that printing it off for all pupils would cost a fortune." I've had a look at them online, and they look super useful. Do you guys think it's worth printing off at home? Do you guys use GCSE specifications to support your revision?
I'm going into Year 12 and I must say using the GCSE specification will help aid your revision because it practically states what you need to know and learn. If you do print it, only print the section about what you're required to learn - the other parts are irrelevant. Hope that helps.
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, I used them for end of years last year and they really helped, especially in languages when it has pretty much every piece of vocab that will come up in the GCSE. For year 11 I'm definitely going to use them and check off what I've covered. I'm doing 9-1 GCSEs this year, what subjects and exam boards are you doing?
Afrina
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
I'm going into Year 12 and I must say using the GCSE specification will help aid your revision because it practically states what you need to know and learn. If you do print it, only print the section about what you're required to learn - the other parts are irrelevant. Hope that helps.
Thanks!
Afrina
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toastiekid)
Yeah, I used them for end of years last year and they really helped, especially in languages when it has pretty much every piece of vocab that will come up in the GCSE. For year 11 I'm definitely going to use them and check off what I've covered. I'm doing 9-1 GCSEs this year, what subjects and exam boards are you doing?
I'm glad they helped! I'm doing:

- Maths
- English Langauge
- English Literature
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Geography
- Latin
- Photography
- French
- Religion

All AQA, expect for Latin which is OCR.
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm glad they helped! I'm doing:

- Maths
- English Language
- English Literature
- Biology
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Geography
- Latin
- Photography
- French
- Religion

All AQA, expect for Latin which is OCR.
I'm doing maths, English lit and Lang, biology, chemistry, physics, history, music, mandarin and french. All of mine are edexcel except both English (AQA). How are you finding English? I'm still getting to grasps with the new spec. Which texts are you doing? I'm doing pigeon english (which I love), Macbeth (which I loathe ), Frankenstein (which I kinda like) and the power and conflict poetry.
Siliac
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Using the GCSE specifications is really useful. Printing them off is definitely worth it. I'm going into year 11 and I am using the GCSE specification to tell me how much I know everything on them. If you know exactly what you need to learn for the exams, then it's going to make revision much easier.
Afrina
Rep:
?
(Original post by Siliac)
Using the GCSE specifications is really useful. Printing them off is definitely worth it. I'm going into year 11 and I am using the GCSE specification to tell me how much I know everything on them. If you know exactly what you need to learn for the exams, then it's going to make revision much easier.
Just printed them all of yesterday, and yes I agree, they are super helpful!
Afrina
Rep:
?
Hey! I am SO sorry, I'm getting back to you so late, because I was going over my watched threads and I have just seen that for some reason I didn't respond to you. Apologies.

In school, I've done Romeo and Juliet, Jane Eyre, Frankenstein, History Boys Never Let me Go, and Much Ado About Nothing. We are currently studying Dr Jekyll and Hyde. I think I'm going to do Frankenstein and Never Let me Go People in my school have done Macbeth, but I missed that because I joined in year 8.

(Original post by Toastiekid)
I'm doing maths, English lit and Lang, biology, chemistry, physics, history, music, mandarin and french. All of mine are edexcel except both English (AQA). How are you finding English? I'm still getting to grasps with the new spec. Which texts are you doing? I'm doing pigeon english (which I love), Macbeth (which I loathe ), Frankenstein (which I kinda like) and the power and conflict poetry.
username3542704
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, guys!

They are 100% useful. Use the specification to make sure that your notes contain everything the exam board want. Only print off the significant parts so like the details about the exam etc otherwise you would be wasting paper!
I wouldnt use the spec just to revise but as a resource to help you as the specification dont provide a deep understanding of the topic.
Toastiekid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! I am SO sorry, I'm getting back to you so late, because I was going over my watched threads and I have just seen that for some reason I didn't respond to you. Apologies.

In school, I've done Romeo and Juliet, Jane Eyre, Frankenstein, History Boys Never Let me Go, and Much Ado About Nothing. We are currently studying Dr Jekyll and Hyde. I think I'm going to do Frankenstein and Never Let me Go People in my school have done Macbeth, but I missed that because I joined in year 8.
Dw! I’ve just read never let me go over the summer- I found it really weird am so glad I’m not doing it for gcse! I have some of my Xmas mocks early so I’m two weeks!! Good luck w/ ur exams etc!
AlphaZenix
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can someone link the specifications on AQA, Edexcel & OCR

What does the specification consist of? What's it about?
Afrina
Rep:
?
What year are you in? What subjects do you need the specification for?

Basically, the specification includes the subject content for your exam, and it's specifically created by your exam board.

(Original post by AlphaZenix)
Can someone link the specifications on AQA, Edexcel & OCR

What does the specification consist of? What's it about?
AlphaZenix
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What year are you in? What subjects do you need the specification for?

Basically, the specification includes the subject content for your exam, and it's specifically created by your exam board.
I need specification for German, English Lang & Lit, History, R.E, Product Design, Computer Science(Computing), Maths & Further Maths and Triple Science - I'm in year 11 right now.

Computer Science- OCR
German- Probably Edexcel
English Lang & Lit- AQA
Maths- AQA
Further Maths- Probably AQA
Biology- AQA
Chemistry- AQA
Physics- AQA
Product Design- I'm not sure, but I think AQA
History - Edexcel
R.E- I don't know but most probably AQA or Edexcel

Please send me the links to the specifications thanks
Afrina
Rep:
?
Computer Science: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/225975-...ience-j276.pdf

German:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...9-1-German.pdf

(Original post by AlphaZenix)
I need specification for German, English Lang & Lit, History, R.E, Product Design, Computer Science(Computing), Maths & Further Maths and Triple Science - I'm in year 11 right now.

Computer Science- OCR
German- Probably Edexcel
English Lang & Lit- AQA
Maths- AQA
Further Maths- Probably AQA
Biology- AQA
Chemistry- AQA
Physics- AQA
Product Design- I'm not sure, but I think AQA
History - Edexcel
R.E- I don't know but most probably AQA or Edexcel

Please send me the links to the specifications thanks
Searcher1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
May I ask to make sure, If you know the specifications for everything does that mean you know all GCSE topics to come? (Except of new questions but used in the context like the 'carrot' science part recently).
Here4Helping9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Searcher1)
May I ask to make sure If you know the specifications for everything does that mean you know all GCSE topics to come? (Except new questions but used in the context like the 'carrot' science part recently).
Not really. Exam boards also tend to ask questions which we haven't learnt or know which is unfair in my opinion. Specifications for making flashcards and mindmaps do help, thank you

Also, what carrot questions are you talking about? Please do write the full question otherwise it's ok.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

What are your favourite crisps?