Party-P3opl3-9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is astronomy seen as a better gcse than geography and latin than French? Or are all GCSE's treated equal?
F3rnw3h
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think it matters too much which GCSE's you take. I would pick the ones you think you'll do better at, and may want to continue with into A Level.
However, if you plan to take a language at A Level, than obviously you'll need A Level French - same goes for geography.
Do you have any idea what you are thinking about doing in the future?
Party-P3opl3-9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tasha_140)
I don't think it matters too much which GCSE's you take. I would pick the ones you think you'll do better at, and may want to continue with into A Level.
However, if you plan to take a language at A Level, than obviously you'll need A Level French - same goes for geography.
Do you have any idea what you are thinking about doing in the future?
Actually, I have already done my GCSE's
I took astronomy, latin, geography, history, additional maths and BACs (Business and Communications studies)
Along with the obvious maths, maths numeracy, eng lang, eng lit, bio, chem and physics.

I'm just wondering If my GCSE's would be viewed more highly or not than other GCSE subjects with the same grade.
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, there are no "soft" or "hard" GCSE subjects.
Party-P3opl3-9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
No, there are no "soft" or "hard" GCSE subjects.
So, just an example here, what is the benefit of taking OCR latin over WJEC latin? As WJEC latin is 2 GCSE's, latin literature and latin language I believe. (Correct me if I'm wrong about this though).
TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wish there were because my school didn't offer any of the 'softer' GCSEs which could have boosted grades a bit.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Party-P3opl3-9)
So, just an example here, what is the benefit of taking OCR latin over WJEC latin? As WJEC latin is 2 GCSE's, latin literature and latin language I believe. (Correct me if I'm wrong about this though).
I've had a quick look and I think it's only 1 GCSE.
Party-P3opl3-9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
I've had a quick look and I think it's only 1 GCSE.
Ok, I must've got confused then. I thought it was split into Latin Language and Latin Literature (like English)

Oh well, just wondering. Because I know some GCSE's are much harder than others, I just wanted to know if there was any benefit to choosing harder GCSE's over easier ones.
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah, WJEC Latin is 2 GCSEs, that's what my school did. A benefit is that you get more GCSEs, which isn't a massive advantage but just looks good if you can get 11 A*s instead of 10 A*s.
Party-P3opl3-9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
Yeah, WJEC Latin is 2 GCSEs, that's what my school did. A benefit is that you get more GCSEs, which isn't a massive advantage but just looks good if you can get 11 A*s instead of 10 A*s.
I thought so. So, surely, you can't equate 2 WJEC Latin GCSE's as being worth more than one OCR Latin GCSE? Especially since you do the same work in both?

Surely universities look at this? I would find it hard to believe that they don't???
Annafield
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I heard business is a soft subject,I've taken it for gcse and its quiet easy. business it ok for gcse but don't take it into a level, as it is not respected. It is soft, it's like 60% course work so if you do good like get an a or b and then not so good in the exam your almost 100%guaranteed a pass. French is harder, and subject like food and nutrition or theatre studies of movie studies are obviously not equals to essay subjects like history p sc ology and geography. but a mix of hard and soft subjects is good don't pick like drama business studies, dance and food and nutrition...
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok, I must've got confused then. I thought it was split into Latin Language and Latin Literature (like English)

Oh well, just wondering. Because I know some GCSE's are much harder than others, I just wanted to know if there was any benefit to choosing harder GCSE's over easier ones.
It may have been in the past but it doesn't appear to be now (looking at the new specification that has just come in http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/latin/latin-gcse/ )

Your choice doesn't really matter as long as you stick to a core of standard subjects - ideally by fulfilling the EBacc subjects (Maths, English, 2 sciences, a language and History/Geography) though lots of people wimp out on the language.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is Latin viewed as a language or a classical? Or both?
I believe most unis do not view Latin as a language.
furiousmushroom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yea it doesn't matter.

Your A-Levels will though, so make sure you have some good options for going into those.
Party-P3opl3-9
Rep:
?
(Original post by stoyfan)
I believe most unis do not view Latin as a language.
Okay, thank you. I guess I chose the correct GCSE's :P

But to keep on topic, clearly some GCSE's have to be worth more in light of wjec Latin being worth 2 (or used to at least).
furiousmushroom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

But to keep on topic, clearly some GCSE's have to be worth more in light of wjec Latin being worth 2 (or used to at least).
They're worth more in the sense your teachers will probably be more impressed if you take them.

Universities just won't care. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at the end of the day, as much as you will struggle through them, they're not very advanced qualifications. They're not even close to standardised in terms of choices (a lot of places don't even offer Latin) and no one even does the same number of them. They're more just checking you're basically well-rounded and competant than any specific skill.

Just don't mess them up too bad and it doesn't matter.
Party-P3opl3-9
Rep:
?
(Original post by furiousmushroom)
They're worth more in the sense your teachers will probably be more impressed if you take them.

Universities just won't care. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at the end of the day, as much as you will struggle through them, they're not very advanced qualifications. They're not even close to standardised in terms of choices (a lot of places don't even offer Latin) and no one even does the same number of them. They're more just checking you're basically well-rounded and competant than any specific skill.

Just don't mess them up too bad and it doesn't matter.
Okay, thank you.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Not really. It would be worth 2 GCSEs if it was 2 GCSEs and 1 if it was one.
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The only GCSEs that matter are Maths and English. After that, they are treated equally.
Party-P3opl3-9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Not really. It would be worth 2 GCSEs if it was 2 GCSEs and 1 if it was one.
But then there is no benefit to doing OCR latin, I think there has to be different weighting to different GCSE's. At least unofficially (if they have any weighting at all).

Don't tell me that WJEC is harder than OCR and it's worth 2 for being so, as it isn't. You do language and literature in both WJEC and OCR. Also, from previous comments, they are now combining the 2 GCSE's into one. So what has changed to make what used to be worth 2 GCSE's to become 1? Also, if you say that WJEC Latin is harder and is worth 2, you are then saying that some GCSE's are harder than others.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (36)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (61)
29.47%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (79)
38.16%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.56%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.42%

Watched Threads