I have some slightly insane goals- And I'm not insane enough to meet them (For now) Watch

M0nkey_D_Luffy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
There is a set amount of money that's been set aside for myself and my adorable younger sibling for our education.

Now, I've decided to try and get a scholarship, in order to give my sibling everything but the cost of my apartment.

I'm currently going into year 10.

Now, in England, there is a new GCSE grade, A*+, or a grade 9 (an A* being an 8), and I want to get it in the three sciences, maths, english, english literature and history.

I'm not doing too bad at the moment, my average grade is a B, but an A*+ is something ridiculous, like the top 1-10% of A*'s.

That means I need 100% in all but one of my GCSE's.

I have the time. I have a VERY supportive family. I've pushed into a Grammar School. My family can afford three tutors, and one of my parents has a phd.

But the issue is, I'm only average as far as intelligence goes. Out of one of the best years my school has produced, around ten A*+'s have been handed out.

I'm a perfectionist, but I don't really know how to do this.

I guess I can do it, but it'll be the hardest thing I've ever done.

Any tips?
hoixw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have the same goals as you - 8-9s in all my subjects.

For maths - practice, practice practice. Do past papers, revise circle theorems, use mymaths for things you dont know etc

Sciences - revise all the content, use cgp revision guides, make flashcards and all make sure you know everything and know exam practice obviously

history - know content and exam skills and practice them

english - know texts and poems inside out, know what is likely to come up and revise the **** ton out of it. Definitely the hardest one of all of them imo.

Language - practice creative writing, revise all the content you need to know, past papers etc.
F3rnw3h
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Being a perfectionist I can completely relate xD
At the end of the day all you can do is go for it and give it your 100%, and see what happens. At least you'll have nothing to regret that way.
Just believe in yourself, and don't doubt your ability - you can do it
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aiming for similar grades as you this summer, think that aiming for 9s is a bit too much pressure as you can't completely predict who will get a 9 as it is dependant on the performance of the rest of the country, however I respect your goals and think with hard work you can get them.
As your average grades are 6s you're going to have to work exceptionally hard throughout the year but from this post it seems you have the perseverance to try.
I'm planning on using the specifications to check off my revision, making detailed notes in all my subjects by January so I can work through past papers and revise after that.
Also I'd make sure you definitely understand everything you're taught during the course. But make sure this pressure doesn't effect your mental health, stress won't help your grades at all.
Which GCSEs are you doing and what exam boards?
Toastiekid
hoixw
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Toastiekid)
Aiming for similar grades as you this summer, think that aiming for 9s is a bit too much pressure as you can't completely predict who will get a 9 as it is dependant on the performance of the rest of the country, however I respect your goals and think with hard work you can get them.
As your average grades are 6s you're going to have to work exceptionally hard throughout the year but from this post it seems you have the perseverance to try.
I'm planning on using the specifications to check off my revision, making detailed notes in all my subjects by January so I can work through past papers and revise after that.
Also I'd make sure you definitely understand everything you're taught during the course. But make sure this pressure doesn't effect your mental health, stress won't help your grades at all.
Which GCSEs are you doing and what exam boards?
Toastiekid
I'm basically doing the same as you, making detailed notes before my mocks in January. I was just doing my computing notes . What subjects you doing?
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hoixw)
I'm basically doing the same as you, making detailed notes before my mocks in January. I was just doing my computing notes . What subjects you doing?
Maths
(Probs) additional maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
English lit
English Lang
History
Mandarin
Music
French
All edexcel except English lit and Lang not sure about add maths
username2640523
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by M0nkey_D_Luffy)
There is a set amount of money that's been set aside for myself and my adorable younger sibling for our education.

Now, I've decided to try and get a scholarship, in order to give my sibling everything but the cost of my apartment.

I'm currently going into year 10.

Now, in England, there is a new GCSE grade, A*+, or a grade 9 (an A* being an 8), and I want to get it in the three sciences, maths, english, english literature and history.

I'm not doing too bad at the moment, my average grade is a B, but an A*+ is something ridiculous, like the top 1-10% of A*'s.

That means I need 100% in all but one of my GCSE's.

I have the time. I have a VERY supportive family. I've pushed into a Grammar School. My family can afford three tutors, and one of my parents has a phd.

But the issue is, I'm only average as far as intelligence goes. Out of one of the best years my school has produced, around ten A*+'s have been handed out.

I'm a perfectionist, but I don't really know how to do this.

I guess I can do it, but it'll be the hardest thing I've ever done.

Any tips?
stick to wanting to become the pirate king🌚
hoixw
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Toastiekid)
Maths
(Probs) additional maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
English lit
English Lang
History
Mandarin
Music
French
All edexcel except English lit and Lang not sure about add maths
I'm doing similar stuff to you but nearly always AQA aside from english which is edexcel lol

Maths - AQA
German - AQA
History - Edexcel
English Lit - Edexcel
English lang - Edexcel
PE - AQA
RE - AQA
Computing - OCR
Business - OCR
Chemistry - AQA
Biology - AQA
Physics - AQA

My school doesn't offer additional maths (i think) but if i can do it i will, in the mocks i just did i got 187/240. 189 is a 9...
xxFreyaWxx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I read that only 2000 people got 3 9s in the Englishes and Maths so good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads